“Great food but not cheap!”
Review of Izutsuya

Izutsuya
Ranked #2,105 of 15,488 Restaurants in Kyoto
Cuisines: Asian
Neighbourhood: City Centre
Neighbourhood: City Centre
Reviewed 5 May 2016

Unlike most of the restaurants we ate at on our recent trip to Japan where we spent 12 nights, Izutsuya was a last minute decision (we were craving more A5 rated beef!). We had originally planned to eat at Katsukura, but contacted Noriko, one of the concierges at the Westin, and asked for a recommendation. She recommended two restaurants and we asked her to reserve a table at Izutsuya after we got back to the Westin (one weird thing about the Westin was the concierge staff required that we fill out a form with our credit card information and signature before they would make any reservations for us at a restaurant. We did not run into this policy at any of the other hotels we stayed at during our trip). We knew it would be pricey since Noriko provided us with a menu and asked us to select a course before she made the reservation (see picture of menu for what we ate and the price).

The food was delicious! We also enjoyed our private teppanyaki room, with our own Chef (who was the Executive Chef) and his daughter as our server. Both were very nice and spoke enough English that we could converse. In fact, we found out that a friend of the Executive Chef is the GM at a restaurant in the DFW area, where my partner and I are from! (Small world!)

Yes, it is expensive. But the food was excellent, so you get what you paid for! The foie gras with Japanese omelet, the beef (we got tenderloin and sirloin, just so we could try both), the garlic rice, everything was delicious and beautifully presented! (We had teppanyaki in Tokyo at Seryna, and we liked Izutsuya much more!) As long as you're ok with their prices, we think you'll love their food!

Date of visit: April 2016

Reviewed 1 May 2016 via mobile

Food, service and atmosphere was top notch. We were seated in a private room at a teppanyaki counter, such I nice surprise! On the expensive side (about $500 for two plus drinks), but worth every penny.

Date of visit: May 2016
Reviewed 3 December 2015

My husband and I had a great experience at this restaurant, but we paid around $235 American dollars for the 2 least expensive set menus that were listed. The room was great, our chef was friendly and spoke English and the staff was quite attentive. It was fun to watch our chef prepare all the courses and each dish he served was very good. The portions were small and by the time the meat arrived, we were getting a little full. Our steak was quite good - really more like melt-in-your-mouth good. My husband was a little disappointed with how small the cuts of steak were. He was expecting something larger for the price. My portion of beef was just right, but I am not a big steak eater and was happy with my amount.

We didn't eat at any other steak houses in Kyoto, but I saw plenty of less expensive ones. I don't know how they would have compared to this one (that comes highly recommended), but if you feel like you can afford to treat yourself to a good meal in a nice atmosphere, make a reservation and come here.

Date of visit: November 2015
Reviewed 9 July 2015

I visited this restaurant with great expectations having read reviews online and in the press. I am sorry to say I didn't some away with them fulfilled.

The food here is not bad; indeed, everything was tasty, well cooked by my own grill chef, simple in design and construction, which I like (including a salad course, a fish course, and a steak with grilled veg and the obligatory miso soup). The biggest issue is that everything is so expensive. I went for the cheapest set menu, and it was still one of the most expensive meals I had in 2 weeks in Japan. That would have be fine had it also been one of the best, but I had beef that was just as good at half the price at other venues.

There are literally hundreds of amazing places to eat in Kyoto; I am sorry to say this wasn't one of them.

Date of visit: May 2015
3  Thank Kotinka
Reviewed 10 June 2015

I made sure to have a reservation and came for the last spot to try out some very vaunted kaiseki. And I was not disapointed. The food were great and well prepared, step by step and with such miticolous care and passion.

Date of visit: May 2015