“Outstanding!”

Cuisines: Asian
Neighbourhood: City Centre
Neighbourhood: City Centre
Reviewed 1 May 2016 via mobile

Food, service and atmosphere was top notch. We were seated in a private room at a teppanyaki counter, such I nice surprise! On the expensive side (about $500 for two plus drinks), but worth every penny.

Date of visit: May 2016

Reviewed 3 December 2015

My husband and I had a great experience at this restaurant, but we paid around $235 American dollars for the 2 least expensive set menus that were listed. The room was great, our chef was friendly and spoke English and the staff was quite attentive. It was fun to watch our chef prepare all the courses and each dish he served was very good. The portions were small and by the time the meat arrived, we were getting a little full. Our steak was quite good - really more like melt-in-your-mouth good. My husband was a little disappointed with how small the cuts of steak were. He was expecting something larger for the price. My portion of beef was just right, but I am not a big steak eater and was happy with my amount.

We didn't eat at any other steak houses in Kyoto, but I saw plenty of less expensive ones. I don't know how they would have compared to this one (that comes highly recommended), but if you feel like you can afford to treat yourself to a good meal in a nice atmosphere, make a reservation and come here.

Date of visit: November 2015
Reviewed 9 July 2015

I visited this restaurant with great expectations having read reviews online and in the press. I am sorry to say I didn't some away with them fulfilled.

The food here is not bad; indeed, everything was tasty, well cooked by my own grill chef, simple in design and construction, which I like (including a salad course, a fish course, and a steak with grilled veg and the obligatory miso soup). The biggest issue is that everything is so expensive. I went for the cheapest set menu, and it was still one of the most expensive meals I had in 2 weeks in Japan. That would have be fine had it also been one of the best, but I had beef that was just as good at half the price at other venues.

There are literally hundreds of amazing places to eat in Kyoto; I am sorry to say this wasn't one of them.

Date of visit: May 2015
3  Thank Kotinka
Reviewed 10 June 2015

I made sure to have a reservation and came for the last spot to try out some very vaunted kaiseki. And I was not disapointed. The food were great and well prepared, step by step and with such miticolous care and passion.

Date of visit: May 2015
Reviewed 12 April 2015

We had an amazing dinner. We were seated next to the grill in a private room. The chef was very friendly and spoke English well. The fois gras with a Japanese omelette was the best I have ever had. The steak was delicious and perfectly cooked. The garlic fried rice was better than any rice dish I could imagine. Although not inexpensive, the cost was very reasonable for the quality of the food and the experience. Make sure to get a reservation through your hotel.

Date of visit: April 2015