All reviews garden view sukiyaki dinner vegetarian meal japanese breakfast keage subway station apple tv koi pond philosophers path traditional japanese experience japanese garden philosopher's walk public bath old wing tofu nice stay sushi hot bath
Reviewed 24 October 2015 via mobile

There is so much that makes it a 4, but to say it's not over priced is lying. There is so much I liked about it...but the coveted 5 circles isn't going to happen anytime in its future.

Charm...dinner...location...staff...friendliness, character were simply amazing. All those qualities can all be had a fraction of the cost somewhere else. I like the place but if you are on a budget, don't even walk to the steps. Hatnhat hostel is so much better for a budget and all of the above.

If you have some cash and want to splurge then yes...it's good (not great) I am glad we went and the garden and food was amazing but I personally couldn't stomach spending that much again. It's a one time expenditure and that is the only reason I can walk away with a good experience.

Stayed: October 2015
2  Thank M M
Reviewed 15 October 2015

Do not book your room via the hotels website directly. It will rip you off badly, unless you are planning your stay within a month or two, in which case they seem to offer reasonable prices on the website. The problem is that by that time, all the rooms were fully booked because it's become a popular place to stay.

We tried to book 2 rooms for our family gathering for March 2016, which is more than a few months away. When I tried to book a room with a outside bath and a garden view (one of the expensive rooms in the old building) using their website, it asked me to pay $750 per person for 4 people (so we would have had to pay $2,800+ for one night. Ridiculous!!!

When we went to Kintetsu travel agency, they had an exact same room for $300-400 per person, much cheaper.

These travel agencies typically hold up quite a few rooms in Ryokan which offers more reasonable pricing. So if you are booking any rooms in any ryokan for that matter, try to compare the price offered by major travel agencies to what you find on the internet.

I will post my review on actual experience of this place in March 2016 :)

Stayed: October 2015, travelled with family
7  Thank chiaki8031
Reviewed 8 September 2015

After seeing the Mount Fuji, we had taken shinkansen train from the station relatively near the lake Yamanakako and headed to Kyoto by the southern side, that is, along the sea coast, since it was the shorter way than if we would have travelled from the northern side. We have had previously booked hotel in Ryokan Yachiyo, Kyoto Prefecture.
This hotel, as itself name says, is located in the Japanese traditional garden.
The historic Nanzen - Ji Temple is not far from the hotel. The rooms are featured in characteristic japanese style and there are large public baths.
The rooms are very clean, with tatami ( woven - straw) floors and futon beds.
The staff was very hospitable and nice with the very good service and as to the meals, I can only say perfect in every way.
The hotel is surrounded with lovely japanese gardens, in which You may perceive to the full measure japanese skilled hands.

Room Tip: with view at the gardens
  • Stayed: October 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Oleg Y
Reviewed 30 August 2015

We loved the Ryokan. It gave us insight to the Japanese culture. The food was amazing and the setting was beautiful. Loved the bathroom! I recommend to take the Japanese styled rooms for the experience. Fun to sleep on mattresses on the floor, quite a different experience. The staff was very friendly. Although they did not speak a whole lot of English we were able to communicate just fine!

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
4  Thank MariannefraOslo
Reviewed 11 August 2015

everthing is good, good service, delicious meal, the room is tidy and clean. the only negative thing is we spent some times to look for the lighting switch. (we were living in the room with personal onsen)

• Stayed: July 2015, travelled as a couple