All reviews wooden bathtub electric bikes japanese style boutique hotel minute walk soaking tub modern twist cedar bath annex building sitting area loved this hotel closet space separate shower great boutique western breakfast train station higashi honganji temple
Reviewed 30 June 2017 via mobile

I am so glad I found this hotel for our stay. It took me a while searching online for hotels in Kyoto that were not boxy or trashy. This is EXACTLY what we wanted! Impeccably clean, beds are the most comfortable I have ever slept on, spacious, modern and functional.
Bathtub and separate shower offer great relaxation.

The breakfast was also a very pleasant surprise, both the Japanese and Western breakfasts were delicious.

Location is also great and the staff is so friendly and helpful. Very respectful, polite and efficient.

I will recommend this hotel to anyone going to Kyoto!

Reviewed 30 June 2017 via mobile

Our room on the 3rd floor is as pictured - long and narrow but comfortable for the 3 of us (my husband, our 18 year old and myself). We booked a room for 3 and they charged a little extra and set the twin sized futon up on the main tatami area. We still had plenty of room to walk around even with the extra bed. The beds were very comfortable with down blankets and two types Japanese pillows (not sure of the fill) per bed. Great outlets next to the beds for phones computer etc and wall sconces for reading. The air conditioning was quiet and we set the temperature exactly as we wanted. The large tub was a luxury and great for relaxing after a long day out.

The wifi was not as fast as we'd like but it always worked and never dropped out. I know that this is advertised as a modern Japanese style hotel but everything felt a little low - I'm average height (5'7") and had to stoop down to use the bathroom mirror and sink.

We purchased the breakfast separately and found either the western or Japanese was enough for two people to share. They also sell a la carte breakfast items as well.

Overall a great place to stay and trying to actually find a place for 3 people in a room together was not impossible in Kyoto but to get a larger room like this was a pleasant find.

1  Thank zhangjiesmom
Reviewed 27 June 2017 via mobile

Searching for a hotel in Kyoto can be a bit of a maze, and it's easy to get lost in the vast number of hotels boasting great reviews. We finally decided on Hotel Kanra, largely due to its proximity from the station and its reputation as a small boutique hotel. I am glad to report our gamble paid off. Big time.

Entering the large wooden sliding door, which is an art installation by itself, you are greeted by a modern yet quaint hotel. Designed by architect Norito Nakahara, Hotel Kanra was inspired by traditional machiya houses, for which Kyoto is known for. Check in was a breeze, with friendly staff all around, ready at a moment's notice to help.

The hotel room was well designed, and our room had a great view of Higashi Honganji temple and also of the Kyoto tower. Wooden accents all around, surrounded by a modern grey ceiling and tiled floors. The room gave a modern, yet inviting feel to it. Another aspect which impressed me was that the hotel was supportive of local culture and craftsmen. The fourth floor rooms were equipped with ceramic cups handmade by Takahiro Okayama (whose workshop we visited and was very impressed with). Another highlight was the wooden bathtub, which for some unknown reason, was exceptionally relaxing to take a bath in.

We also had a meal at all 3 F&B outlets of the hotel, and did not have one disappointing meal. I highly recommend the teppanyaki restaurant (Caution: no fancy knife throwing; just seriously good local food).

Bottom line: an exception hotel located close enough to the main station, but far enough from the crowds of mainland tourists. Superb service. Beautiful room. Yes, a little on the pricey side, but why not treat yourself from time to time.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Primero N
Reviewed 25 June 2017

- Staff was trained to be extremely friendly and almost all were quite proficient in English.
- There is free bike rental, which came in very handy as distances are long on foot but Kyoto is easy to navigate by bike. We used it almost every day and even rode to the Bamboo forest and Inari shrine.
- The prices for extras such as spa treatments are really high, I cannot even imagine anyone paying such high prices.
- There is a very busy main road just in front of the hotel, so try booking a room facing the side street.
- The location, apart from the traffic noise, is quite good: close to the main station and in walking / bike riding distance to most attractions.
- The design of the facilities is very nice. However they should have invested also in decent sound proofing: traffic noise from nearby street could be heard as well as noise from neighbouring rooms and foot steps from room above. I don't really understand why so much is invested in design and then it lacks measures that would improve the quality of sleep.
- We turned off the air conditioning but unfortunately, some ventilation fans inside the room were still making considerable noise.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 June 2017 via mobile

A very non-Japanese friendly hotel with very nice clean rooms with interesting mix of a Japanese and Western atmosphere and nice bath tub made of Hinoki wood. The breakfast is very nicely done so recommend to book a package with breakfast.