All reviews wooden bathtub electric bikes japanese style boutique hotel minute walk soaking tub modern twist cedar bath annex building sitting area loved this hotel closet space separate shower great boutique western breakfast train station higashi honganji temple
Reviewed 6 June 2017

Just returned to Australia and must say how much I love Japanese hospitality. The Kanra is a hotel I've wanted to stay in for a long time and I finally have had the pleasure. The staff where all so lovely. We had dinner at the Teppanyaki Restaurant Hana Raku on our first night, which was outstanding. The staff were really outstanding, particularly the food and beverage manager. Our room had a fantastic view of the Kyoto Tower from the window. It was modern and stylish. What a pleasure to stay at such a beautifully run hotel. The breakfast was outstanding and we enjoyed drinks in the bar most nights, where we were always greeted by all the staff. Loved our 6 day stay at kanra, wish it was longer.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cookzaraeat
Reviewed 4 June 2017

We stayed 3 nights at this beautiful boutique hotel back in April 2017 in Kyoto.
The hotel locates near a gorgeous temple and closes to the Kyoto station (20 minutes walking distance). The hotel offers complimentary delicious Western or Japanese breakfast. The staff at this hotel was very helpful and provided great services. The hotel also offers complimentary bike rental... a must try as biking around the area was very nice in the early morning. Each room has a unique Japanese entrance and is very roomy compared to other hotels and has a little tatami area.

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 June 2017 via mobile

I have stayed in a lot of hotels around the world between business and leisure so I don't say this lightly. The manager of the hotel is THE worst I have ever encountered.

We lasted two hours in this hotel before transferring to the Westin - something we would have done sooner but it took a loooong time to get a refund from the manager.

English is not very well spoken at this hotel so communication was a bit difficult as my Japanese is non-existent. That said I feel this review stands.

I had booked this hotel as a treat for my birthday during our Japan stay and it really let me down - don't believe the hype.

The room was quite gimmicky but looked reasonable - not huge but comfortable and clean. The problems come when you try to book something, we spent our first hour on the phone to various members of staff getting nowhere fast.

When we complained to the manager we got nowhere fast too - never have I seen a manager care less about a guest in their hotel I mean I never even heard the word sorry and exhausted myself with her for over an hour.

Just avoid this place.

I highly recommend the Westin to upgrade or Sakura Terrace as a reasonable alternative.

Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank DaveB186338
Reviewed 2 June 2017

The hotel staff were very helpful, the rooms are modern, Japanese style with large bathroom. The hotel is located minutes away from the subway line and 10 minutes walk from the main shopping and restaurant area.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 May 2017 via mobile

Staff was excellent. Rooms were modern Japanese style with a cool little tatami seating area. Bathroom has rain showers and a neat wooden bathtub. Close enough to the train station to walk with a bag.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple