All reviews wooden bathtub electric bikes japanese style boutique hotel minute walk soaking tub modern twist cedar bath annex building sitting area loved this hotel closet space separate shower great boutique western breakfast train station higashi honganji temple
Reviewed 14 February 2017 via mobile

We enjoyed our 3 night stay at Hotel Kanra. It's located in a quieter area of town but only a few steps from Gojo Station or a straight 15min walk to Kyoto Station.

The staff were friendly, professional & accommodating. Sakura helped us with check in & she tried her best to attend to our request of foam pillows & teapot. Another lady, we unfortunately can't remember her name, helped us with translation as we wanted to converse with the talented young Yuuka who runs a studio space on the hotel G/F repairing ceramics using an old Japanese method called Kintsugi. Make sure you check out her work if you have time, simply beautiful!

The interior decor is nothing but detailed & visually stunning since the hotel is built & owned by a design company. We loved the wooden bath tub & tatami area where we enjoyed tea at night. They also provided good quality toiletries including a set of facial cleanser, toner & moisturizer.

We particularly enjoyed their afternoon tea set at the lounge cafe. Staff there were helpful & considerate. We loved the way they displayed the mini pastries, cupcakes & bread on the counter. There's a lot of natural sunlight and the whole atmosphere is just so relaxing.

The only suggestion we have for them is to provide a teapot in the room. They have these beautiful ceramic cups, a kettle & tea but no teapot.

We will definitely stay again if a discounted deal comes up. Otherwise it is still a fair bit to pay for what you get especially when you'd most likely be out sightseeing & only come back to shower & sleep.

Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ManChaTeas
Reviewed 10 February 2017

The rooms are lovely. Modern yet Japanese. Loved the bath...

Rooms: are large by any standard. There is a theme for the rooms and hotel. I would describe it as "modern Japanese" [whatever that means] So you have all the mod cons but with the localised feel! Clean, of course. Love the toilet seats....

Service: There are no doormen, concierges etc etc. Just Front Office Staff. VERY good, they do everything. And for those who don't don't speak Japanese... this is THE place!

Location: Pretty good, 1 min from the Subway and 8 min walk to Kyoto station. Nice to be away from the shopping area but close enough.

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ryanhong
Reviewed 4 February 2017 via mobile

Beautiful design hotel. The hotel welcomed you with a pleasant smell of wood. Very friendly staff who helped us to book taxi and give good advice for sightseeing places. The hotel is super clean. Room is spacious and they also provided yakuta for adults and kids. We loved the wooden bathtub and the bathroom design. It's only 10 minutes walk from Kyoto station, on which way you will pass a beautiful Higashi Honganji temple.
Definitely a place to stay!

Stayed: February 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 February 2017

Beautiful Japanese/western style hotel . Lovely rooms and bathroom. We had a deluxe room for 2 adults and 2 teenagers and it was a little cramped but we usually stay in 2 rooms. We loved the design and style of the hotel.The front desk were very helpful. We used the complimentary electric bikes and that was a fantastic way to get around Kyoto, everyone rides on the footpath so it is very safe.

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 January 2017

First, I should note that, based on updates to Hotel Kanra Kyoto’s Web site, it appears that the hotel has undergone a renovation since my wife and I stayed there last year. I’ll focus my review on aspects of our stay that I believe, based on their Web site, will be consistent with our experience.

For starters, we very much enjoyed our stay at Hotel Kanra Kyoto. The staff were friendly and always ready to help with directions or suggestions on nearby sights; the “modern ryokan” style of the hotel was beautiful and highly functional for us Westerners, while maintaining a unique sense of place; and, given the quality of the service and accommodations, I felt it offered fantastic value.

On that last point, smaller, boutique-style hotels (that aren’t traditional ryokans) are harder to find in downtown Kyoto, but I did quite a bit of research and the only comparable options near the city center were more than double the per-night rate of Hotel Kanra Kyoto.

Now, the reason Kanra Kyoto is such a great value is precisely because it isn’t located in the city center. But the main train line that you can take south to Kyoto Station or north to the popular sites around the Nishiki Market area is literally around the corner from the hotel—my wife and I timed the walk and it was under five minutes. Door-to-door, we were able to get from the hotel to Nishiki Market in under 20 minutes. And we could have halved that if we had taken a cab instead! So I think the location is a non-issue, and, in fact, the hotel’s location is quite beautiful—there’s an enormous Buddhist temple complex just minutes away on foot, it’s just not one of the better known sights.

Speaking of location, another plus to Kanra Kyoto’s location is that there is a 7-Eleven right across the street. Those only familiar with 7-Eleven in the US might scoff at this, but 7-Eleven in Japan is fantastic. They offer loads of local food options that are genuinely delicious, and 7-Elevens are, in my experience, the best place in Japan to get good coffee at a reasonable price (the coffee is ground and brewed on demand in something akin to a super sophisticated Nespresso machine). It’s a great way to save money on meals—especially breakfast—if you’re traveling on a budget.

On the topic of meals, we had a breakfast and a lunch at Kanra Kyoto and felt that both were good, but not great. It’s possible that their food options may have improved since their renovation, but given the amazing food on offer in the Kyoto area, I’d recommend dining outside of the hotel.

Finally, the main reason I’m giving Kanra Kyoto a 4 instead of 5 stars (I really wish I could give it 4.5 stars) is that our room, while beautifully designed and appointed, felt a bit run down. There were some visible scuff marks on the walls and the room just felt like it was due for a freshening up. Now that I see that the hotel appears to have undergone a renovation, I’d love to go back and see if these issues have been remedied. If so, I’d absolutely upgrade Kanra Kyoto to a 5.

A note on our room: We stayed in what’s now described as an “Annex Double Room,” which featured a Western-style bed. It was perfect for my wife and me (I particularly loved the elevated writing area and the square, cypress wood bathtub) and might be suitable for a family with one young child, but I don’t think it would be large enough for families with kids older than 10 or with more than one child.

The bottom line is that I would absolutely recommend Hotel Kanra Kyoto—even based on our pre-renovation experience. It offers great value in a convenient location, all wrapped in a unique blending of East and West.

Room Tip: The Annex Double Rooms are a great value & big enough for couples, but probably not suitable for families.
  • Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple