All reviews wooden bathtub electric bikes japanese style boutique hotel minute walk soaking tub modern twist cedar bath annex building sitting area loved this hotel closet space separate shower great boutique western breakfast train station higashi honganji temple
Reviewed 6 April 2012

We chose two different hotels for our 2 night stay in Kyoto and the Kanra should have been where we spent both of our nights.

What we liked most about the hotel was the room, done in a modern Japanese style with a bathroom that looked like it came from a design magazine. One of the most beautiful hotel rooms we've ever seen.

The hotel has bikes you can borrow to explore Kyoto - highly recommended as Kyoto is a big bike city.

The epitome of a great boutique hotel - highly recommended.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
ホテルカンラ京都, 予約担当 at Hotel Kanra Kyoto, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2014

Thank you so much for staying with us.
We would love to have you stayed here again; may be for the entire stay in Kyoto then, so that there will be enough time for you to visit numerous NEW spots we recommend, with bikes. We look forward to welcoming and serving you again, anytime. Thank you!

Reviewed 10 March 2012

I stayed with my family at the Hotel Kanra at the end of February for 3 nights. The experience was absolutely amazing! The design and décor of the entire hotel combined modern elements with old Japanese machiya style. There’s a tatami area in the room and the beds were so comfortable. The location of the hotel is not too far from the Kyoto station (only a 7~10 min. walk), and the hotel is right next to the Higashi Honganji. The “Karasuma Rokujo” bus station is within a few minutes’ walk and the there’s also a subway station close by. The best part is there’s a 7-11 right in front of the hotel for some late night snacks!

The entire front desk team is extremely helpful as I had wrote many emails requesting about sightseeing information in Kyoto and buying train tickets. The lady who helped me at check-in was very professional and cute; we had problem with our shower the first night and she even came to my room to help me fix the faucet! The bath tub made of wood was wonderful and it was even big enough for us to stretch our legs when sitting inside. The restaurant staff was very friendly as well; we had dessert each day which was included in our room package, and the desserts they served to us changed everyday.

If I must point out a few flaws it would be the entrance to the hotel and the lighting in the guestroom. To enter the hotel you must walk down a few steps of stairs. The hotel didn’t bellman so my family had to bring our own luggage down the stairs by ourselves. Also the lighting in the room was quite dimmed, so in the morning I had to bring the mirror next to the window to put on my makeup.

That said, Hotel Kanra would still be my first choice if I were to travel to Kyoto next time. It’s an amazing hotel with amazing staff, and it’s definitely worth the price!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank sclc386dr

Thank you so much for staying with us.
We are very glad to know that you could "amaze" with the factors on our site. We apologize for the inconvenient arrival. The staffs tend to be there to welcome and help you with the luggage, unless none is available, serving other parties at the time. We have been focusing on the improvement of the efficiency as well, ever since. We look forward to welcoming you, with a hand, and serving you again. Thank you!

Reviewed 5 March 2012

Extremely friendly and helpful in every possible way. I arrived early to the hotel but my assigned room was still occupied. I decided to go to Nishiki market for lunch and asked to be called at my overseas mobile no once my room is ready. I am happily surprised that several attempts were made to reach my mobile an hour later.
The deluxe room is huge, can fit a family of 5 in my opinion. The attention to details in the decor of the room is amazing. I would have to rate Kanra as one of the best boutique hotel in Asia.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank OreoBoy
ホテルカンラ京都, 予約担当 at Hotel Kanra Kyoto, responded to this reviewResponded 9 March 2014

Thank you so much for staying with us.
Every single guest we welcome here is precious to us.
We would make effort diligently to serve the best we could.
We appreciate all your cooperation, and look forward to welcoming you, again.
A. Miura

Reviewed 24 January 2012

Currently enjoying a wonderful stay here with my husband & teenage daughter. We have a Superior room that accommodates the 3rd guest on a futon mattress on the Tatami floor. Very comfortable, the beds are huge. Lovely breakfast and convenient to Kyoto Station and Gojo Subway... Beautiful rooms, would definitely return

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank bloody

Thank you so much for staying with us.
Apart from the feature of the guest room, our concierge team would love to assist you organizing the itinerary in our city. Having this in mind, please let us be of your further help next time. We look forward to serving you again. Thank you!

Reviewed 17 January 2012

I stayed at the Kanra (Superior room) at the beginning of November for 1 night and had an amazing, though short, stay there.

I arrived a little early so my room wasn’t available yet. The lady at the front desk proceeded to check me in so upon my return to the hotel I could go straight to my room.
The lady at the front desk was very nice and friendly and her English was also very good. Any question I asked was answered without hesitation and clearly (no vague answers). Actually all staff I encountered at the front desk, which were young btw, were super polite, friendly, helpful, and patient.

After check in I asked some info about a couple of local attractions. I was offered one of the electric bikes, which are rented out for free, to get me to Kiyomizu-dera. She made some additional recommendations as well on what to do in the immediate area of Kiyomizu-dera.

Upon returning to the hotel, my room was ready and I was escorted to my room.
The room was amazing, modern Japanese in style (like the rest of the hotel) and felt like home. Stone floors in the main/bedroom and bathroom, tatami floor in the sitting area, large shower area (with a mini rock garden and fake skylight), aromatic Japanese cypress wooden bath tub, Toto washlet, and rice paper doors here and there.

I did not eat at the restaurant in the hotel, but it seemed busy in the morning and afternoon when I was there.

Checkout was quick and I was escorted outside and sent off with an ojigi (bow).
Next time I visit Kyoto I will definitely stay at the Kanra again!

BTW, finding the hotel was easy. After exiting Gojo station, walk south until you see a 711 convenience store (a plus) on your right. The hotel should be in the small street to the left of the 711.
The 711 convenience store around the corner of the hotel is a plus in case you want to buy something.

Room Tip: There are electric bicycles that the Kanra rents out for free...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank GXS
ホテルカンラ京都, 予約担当 at Hotel Kanra Kyoto, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2014

Thank you so much for staying with us.
All the staffs here at Hotel Kanra Kyoto are more than happy to help making you feel as if you are at your “Japanese home”, as much as possible! Please let us share your ideas, and we would love to see what we could do about it.
We would very much look forward to serving you, again. Thank you!