All reviews felt like home green tea maiko ryokan tradition japan
Reviewed 23 September 2017

Our room was very large, with enough space to relax at the end of a long day of sightseeing. Although food was not part of the deal, the very hospitable staff always ensured a supply of snacks and green tea. They helped arrange restaurant bookings and were always willing to help with anything we needed. Lovely place that felt like home.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 February 2017

The service provided inside is excellent. The staff is very helpful and the boss is very funny. Though there is no breakfast provided, they offered me with dessert and bread and cake all the time and gave me a detail map for the nearby breakfast place (with opening time!). On Saturday, the hotel arranged the dancing show and a chat with kabuki. They prepared tempura for us when the show started. The room is very clean and spacious. I lost my earring (very little earring) and the next day they found it out and gave back to me. Location is very good.

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled solo
2  Thank nedveddenise
Reviewed 15 February 2017 via mobile

We stayed in this lovely Ryokan for seven nights and took only one day trip away from Kyoto (Hiroshima). The room was huge and even without breakfast being included, the owners brought us sweets every night to the room. There was always hot and cold water available for tea or drinking. Bathroom was adequate in size and shower was excellent. Toilet had seat warmer (typical). LOCATION was amazing. Short walk to buses but even shorter walk to my favorite street in Kyoto where you see all the sought after sights. (Leave ryokan, turn left then turn right), owners are delightful and mr. Sano had no problem understanding us and our questions. Also some young student types work in the evening who have better English. Staff could not do more for us. Washing machine on first floor is free to use. When you need a cab they call and it was always there. If you have significant luggage best to take cab to ryokan. If backpacking bus is fine. Room is cleaned for you daily - robes and slippers provided. Sleeping on tatami mats with comforters and cushions was super comfortable. We really loved the entire experience. Note: others talked about the dogs. Yes, there are four wonderful dogs but they are no where near your room and you can easily not go near them. We, however sought every opportunity to hang with them.

Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MargaritaConSal
Reviewed 26 December 2016 via mobile

I highly recommend this ryokan if one is planning on going to Kyoto. It is in the heart of Gion. The rooms are large and clean. And the staff is so friendly. They also helped me with answering all my questions and offered recommendations even before I got to Japan. I would definitely stay here again if I went back to Kyoto.

Stayed: December 2016, travelled solo
2  Thank jennifertZ6356OX
Reviewed 4 December 2016 via mobile

Located in Kyoto Ryokan , is a very well located hotel, is not very big but is spacious enough. Full of shops and restaurants around , nice landscapes and temples to see, the location is a bit quiet , people is super friendly, and also at the hotel they take the service very very extremely serious , at the point that they don't know what else to do to keep you happy. You have Gueishas performances in the hotel as in entertainment , tatami floors in the room, so that you have to take off your shoes before getting into the room, or the dinning room area. The hotel is not very luxurious , but clean and decent to stay and relax. Most of the people do not speak English , at the hotel the owners spoke just few words , them they had someone else in the evening to translate for us all the Gueishas show.
Most of the places do not take cards, so you have to be aware that you get enough money to spend and pay, otherwise you'll miss out. The cash machines that I was told to use , were the ones at the 7/11 seven eleven shops , they have ATM which accept, international cards. And please do not forget to bend yourself to say thank you. They take it as in very very respectful.
Many thanks. Hope this help your trip. And enjoy Kyoto.

Stayed: December 2016, travelled with friends