3,396 results
All reviews train station le temps granvia lounge department store station complex convenient location can't beat the location excellent location hotel restaurants large hotel high floor your doorstep city view kansai airport concierge service superior room easy access
Reviewed 4 June 2012 via mobile

a great hotel to stay in outside weekends or holidays! our room rate was 14k for several weekdays - with a gratis upgrade.
But to extend to Friday/Saturday, only a larger room was available and the rate jumped to 45k.

learning the long corridor and two lift banks can be a trap for the sleepy. get it wrong and the walk from elevator to room can be extraordinary. but I didn't mind as the views down into the station are very pleasant.

checkout was a generous 12pm

Kyoto station is an architectural marvel, if you have never stated in Kyoto before it is as good a place as any to start. Buses outside go to all major temples and the train system is at your fingertips.

I enjoyed staying here, for the price it was a steal.

• Stayed: May 2012
1  Thank jbb153
Reviewed 3 June 2012

I would give this hotel 3 stars if it wasn't for the location.

All the things you want to see in Kyoto are spread around the city, requiring different transportation tools at different times. I could not imagine navigating around Kyoto so easily if I had stayed in any other hotel. The Raku bus for the tourists, the train to Arashiyama, taxi when you feel like it, shinkansen from Tokyo and train to Osaka are all ready and available at your doorstep. Not to mention a billion restaurant choices in the hotel and inside the terminal.

I am guessing most people going to Kyoto are going for sightseeing and there is no better place to make your base.

On the other hand, the rooms are clean and well kept, although bathrooms certainly need improving in the very near future. The hotel itself is very large so do not expect pampering and personal attention at all times.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 June 2012

The rooms are large, the buffet breakfast is delish. The sevice was excellent. Being near the train station was a real plus, since we used this hotel as a base and came and went 3 times to visit other cities. We stored our luggage each time and took a small bag with us with a day or two's change of clothes. The train station had great shops in it and we bought lunch there before each train ride. There was even an entrance to the hotel from the station. Going up to the top of the train station was awesome, where there is a garden on top floor and then walking the "cat walk". It is also attached to a beautiful department store.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank sheila g
Reviewed 31 May 2012

My fiance and I stayed here for 3 nights as part of our second leg of our Japan trip. As we didn't spend that much time in our hotel, my review will be a bit more brief but I wanted to highlight some of the particular things about this hotel (and by extension, Kyoto Station)

Hotel Granvia is located right above Kyoto station, so for any weary traveler this will be a godsend. This also makes it very convenient for shopping (essentials as well as clothing and souvenirs), dining (incredible number of restaurants in and around the station) and of course, people watching!

Location -
As this hotel is located right on top of Kyoto station, it is incredibly convenient in many regards. I would add however, that most of the historical sights are actually quite a bit further north. The station is located in what would be downtown Kyoto, therefore it will take a good 20-30 minutes to get to any of the famous sites further north (and northeast / northwest) such as Ginkakuji, Nanzenji, Kinkakuji, Philosopher's Path, etc.. BUT is a very good launch point for going to see the sites in the west and south (namely Arashiyama (Tenryuuji, Togetsukyo bridge, bamboo groves) and southern area (Fushimi Inari, which is known for it's tori gates, etc)

For those that plan on seeing all those "northern" sites, the JR rail pass that you likely purchased as a tourist is unfortunately not so useful in Kyoto. What you will want to buy is a 1-2 day city free pass for unlimited use of the subway/bus system. The JR pass DOES however provide you train access to Arashiyama and Fushimi Inari mentioned above.

So for those that say the location is good -- it really is good, but not perfect. For a central sight-seeing location, a hotel close to Karasume Oike subway station would probably be better as it is the intersection between the two subway lines (Kyoto Station is at the southern end of one of the subway lines)

Room -
Considering the class of the hotel and the price, we actually expected a much smaller room than the one we got. Compared to hotel rooms that we've stayed at in Paris for example, our room here would be considered quite large and spacious! The bathroom was very modern and nicely spaced as well with a very large bathtub.

We had a very nice view of the city at night and the beds were comfortable. They also give you slippers to walk around the hotel with (which they say you can keep!) and overall there are no complaints! Incredible value for a very comfortable setting.

I would add that there is complimentary wifi, which was a definite bonus for our trip planning needs! Something that gets overlooked because it's not necessarily available elsewhere.

Dining -
We actually ate at the teppanyaki restaurant at the hotel, Gozanbo. Very nice restaurant, incredible Oumi beef but very expensive! Oh boy, that cost a lot! Nice views of the city though.

As the hotel is connected to Kyoto station, the dining options are EXPANSIVE and run the gamut from cheap onigiri and sandwiches at the convenience/grocery stores to super high end dining (see above!). The selection is amazing so give it a try!

There's also a floor in Kyoto station with like 8-9 different ramen restaurants, so that's sort of neat if you have the urge for noodles!

Amenities -
We didn't make use of the fitness facilities or amenities because you have to pay for them, although in hindsight, I don't recall whether I was staying on a floor whether they were complimentary or not. Considering how much walking we did I don't think we needed any more exercise.

In summary -- pretty good location but a tad away from the grouped up historical sites to the north. Good access to locations far west and south. Convenient when it comes to necessities, shopping, dining and shinkansen. Good value with nice accomodations.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Willhelmson
Reviewed 29 May 2012

The Granvia is located in Kyoto station and so convenient to trains, buses and subways. It is also close to Isetan, my favorite department store, and other shopping malls right in the station. The room we had faced Kyoto Tower and the mountains; It was clean and well-designed with a computer connection and desk area. The staff were super nice; I visited the concierge every day and they helped us plan our day. I want to live here!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the Kyoto tower side!
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family