As mentioned, we have stayed here for four times over the past 18 months, three during mid-winter and the latest one during the summer. The first time was to do some tourism in Hangzhou when we lived then in the middle of China (we are New Zealanders who have been working in China for over 2 years). We were very impressed with how the staff looked after us and all the numerous benefits of the hotel . So now that we have moved about three hours drive from Hangzhou, we decided to stay again as our transit hotel choice to connect with Air Asia to Malaysia/Vietnam in February and then again to Malaysia/Thailand in August. When we return we usually stay for 2 or 3 nights on our return journey and relax before heading "home".
We are Advantage Plus members and usually get a free upgrade and Sofitel Xanadu always offer that to us and we get upgraded to club level where they spoil us greatly! The rooms are spacious as well as the bathrooms and we also appreciate the addition of a dvd player as we are not fans of the HBO channel which tend to feature throughout China. Our room had a balcony overlooking the lovely lake where black swans and ducks enjoy a tranquil and safe setting.
When we were there in February, both for our departing flight as well as our arrival flight they ensured that our room was well heated as they recognised that we feel the cold, so they got in an extra heater as well as the air conditioner for us and had it going for a few hours before our late night arrival. It was a well appreciated touch as we had just come from a hot Vietnam and Malaysia so the shock was not so great!
The biggest draw card for us has to be the staff - they are so kind and considerate to us and go out of their way to ensure our stay is memorable and that our needs are exceeded. The Concierge staff are exemplary in every way and do all sort of things for us - such as helping us locate items we need for our life in China and they seem to enjoy it.
Each time we return they always remember little things we like such as in the room and for breakfast or canapes and we appreciated this attention to detail and how they made us feel special by these gestures. They obviously make notes of all this and keep on file! Very impressive!
Breakfasts were delicious with freshly squeezed orange juice and carrot and ginger juice as well as oatmeal porridge and salmon omelettes.........!
On the last occasion we noticed that the Club lounge is non smoking which we definitely appreciated. Free internet and dedicated staff remembering your previous stay's needs are something to be appreciated!
The free shuttle is a great addition and feature and works very well and takes you directly to Westlake which is a beautiful spot to walk around. There is another Sofitel where the meeting point is - much more expensive, but good to have a meal there and one night we had a lovely buffet using our Advantage plus card, afterwards we walked around the Westlake which has a beautiful night time setting with musical fountains and lights. After that they collected us by their free shuttle! We appreciated the peace and beautiful resort style setting that the Sofitel Xanadu offered, which is unusual in Chinese cities (we have discovered).
During our visits there some of the staff that we got to know have moved on, but all replacement staff seem to be dedicated to following in their predecessor's footsteps!
There is a new Manager who we met - and we were really impressed with his attitude and dedication to his position.
We do agree with the previous review though regarding the music which is on all the time as you walk along the gardens or near the lake. We would definitely prefer it is "off" permanently, as it distracts from the beautiful and natural setting. It just does not go with it at all!
The indoor pool and gym was great and we enjoyed that. They also have bicycles which we usually enjoy when we travel, but during the winter with the snow and then the sweltering humidity in August we had to decline, which was a shame as it would be a great opportunity to explore around the area which appears quiet and flat.
We would always stay at the Xanadu whenever we visit Hangzhou and can highly recommend it.
The buffet restaurant is good and great value - although there should be some improvement in the number of western choices.
On our latest arrival we decided to book the hotel transport as it is about one hour from the airport and so we arranged a great rate through them and they were very attentive and phoned us whilst we were in line for the customs to ensure we were ok. It was a welcome choice we believe as it was after midnight when we arrived.
We met some other foreigners there from the Uk who were very impressed with the place both in terms of value and the great staff.
It represents great value, a wonderful setting and some really outstanding staff who make guests feel so welcome and treasured!
Definitely one of the advantages of living in China!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in Wenyan Town, near the junction of the Qiantang, Fuchun and Puyang Rivers, the Resort presents an idyllic natural environment and incorporates the Xiang Lake tourism area, an official venue for the World Leisure Expo 2011. Hotel covers an area of 94,000 square meters; forested 28,221 square meters. Situated by Tiger Mountain, the hotel has its own Swan Lake, where the Swans, Ducks and Mandarin Ducks are dwelling. In the hotel, you will enjoy the natural beauty away from the modern life. Having a meeting or on a trip – whatever your purpose is, our hotel will provide every convenience to guarantee your trip is a success. Our hotel can be used as an extension of your office. We have 301 distinctive rooms, including 19 suites, 62 Crowne Plaza Club rooms. All rooms are well-designed with the minimum size of 40 square meters; some rooms even have a feature balcony for you to enjoy the stunning view of the lakes and mountains. Zest CaféZest Café located on the first floor of Conference centre, the elegant and stylish lake-view International restaurant, you can order exquisite food delicacies cooked by our hotel chef. It also serves International buffet, with seafood selection, authentic Brazilian barbecue, cocktails and desserts, presenting you a feast of delicacy.Waterfront Terrace Waterfront terrace on the Swan Lake can be used for various outdoor parties and is an ideal choice for private gatherings, weddings, product promotions, cocktail receptions and company meetings.Tao Yuan Chinese RestaurantIn a luxurious and elegant atmosphere, enjoy the modern-style Cantonese cuisine, delicate Hangzhou cuisine, local Sanjiang special cuisine and a variety of afternoon tea dim sums. 37 private rooms in diversified styles and a function room for 550 guests can accommodate functions of all sizes. Muse Lobby BarRelaxing and easy atmosphere, flavorful coffee, authentic tea, exquisite snacks and mellow wines, Muse Lobby Bar is an excellent venue for a business negotiation with your partner or a friends gathering. The resort is at the prime location of Hangzhou whether it’s for business or leisure purpose.It has 21 meeting rooms in different size and design. The impressive Xanadu ballroom offers 864 square meter of event space and accommodates up to 800 guests for a theater style meeting and 550 guests for a round table dinner set up. The 460-square-meters Xiang Lake ballroom can accommodate up to 350 guests for a classroom set up, and cocktail reception for 550 guests. The VIP Reception Centre located by the Swan Lake, it is an exclusive meeting and dining venue and ideal for private dinners, weddings, cocktails and corporate meetings. Other meeting rooms of various sizes that offer the organizers and participants ample space which can handle groups of 10 to 450 people.The resort offers meeting organizers and participants world-class meeting facilities including the latest audiovisual equipment which are supported by the services of a team of professionally trained staff. For absolute relaxation, you can unwind with an invigorating swim in our 25-meter lap pool; practice your swing at the tennis court, test your skills in the billiard chess and table tennis room, enjoy fishing and boating in the lake that commands a majestic view of the surrounding with the company of swans. The health centre features a gymnasium with state-of-the-art exercise equipment. For a moment of serenity, the jogging or bike trail provides an interesting option. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hangzhou Xanadu Narada Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sofitel Xanadu Hotel Hangzhou
- Sofitel Hangzhou
- Accor Xanadu Hotel Hangzhou
- Hangzhou Sofitel