“Why so many good reviews”

Sawasdee Thai Restaurant
Ranked #9 of 2,967 Restaurants in Hangzhou
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 14 July 2018 via mobile

We went here for a dinner on a Saturday night, booked for 4 persons at 18:00. Arrived there and the restaurant was quite full already. Airconditioner was turned very low so it was very cold, ask the waiter about it but didn't get any reaction.
First we ordered fresh 3 coconut juices that took at least 30 minutes to arrive and wasn't cold or sweet, terribile when the coconut juice is hot. We ordered lobster 450gram and what we got was a mini small lobster and the taste wasn't terrific, I really could recognize it was a lobster when it was served on the table, see first picture.
We ordered a satay chicken and the meat was so tough to bite, didn't seem it was freshly made, perhaps overcooked or put in the freezer to long.
We ordered a Thai chicken feet that tasted medium well but had to much sauce on it so it was super spicy, we also ordered a beef curry and worst thing the waiter brought it to another table where I saw other people were getting their chopsticks inside the dish and then they found out it was my dish and quickly put it on my table, so I didn't even tried that dish.
Fried fish I ordered that tasted quite good, and we ordered a mix dish with some satay and fish cookies, the satay was the same taste as the one we ordered. We payed a 1200 rmb for this dinner that's almost 200$ for that I could go in any country and have a good real Thai food, seems the reviews here a made by people that never went to Thailand and had real Thai food or a just payed reviewers by the restaurant.

Date of visit: July 2018
1  Thank dannysK2769IU

Reviewed 30 June 2018 via mobile

For the last two years I have worked across the street from the Wyndham. One of my friend's from work told me about this place long ago, but I just didn't get around to it. I wanted to go, because my wife and I love Thai food, but being at the Wyndham, I thought the price would exceed the quality. I was wrong!

They offered an appatizer of leaves with several garnishments to make wraps. They were fresh and delicious. They are a perfect amuse-bouche for a group table, for they can be tailored for those who like spicy or do not.

The table ordered a fresh crab spring roll, massuman curry (one spicy one and one not) and penang curry. All of the dishes were excellent. Had I not been with two delightful friends and colleagues, I may have chosen two lick the bowl.

This was certainly the best Thai food in town. I have been to most of the chains and a few small places too. I like to be critical, so I will give my one piece of criticism. If you like really spicy food, as I do, this will not have the heat you like. But, it is still that good. Give up the heat for a day and try it!

On my price worries, it was actually very reasonable. My wife and I eat local food frequently, and this was far more expensive than that. If you eat foreign food in Hangzhou, this is very reasonable. Especially when you consider the quality.

Sawasdee does credit to western style service. I shun most Westerner's need for this kind of foreign babysitting-style service while in China. After all, we are in China. When I am at a western style 5 star hotel, I do expect this level of service and they do well. During the busy lunch service we did wait a bit while trying to get a box, but the good company made the time fly.

Reviewed 19 June 2018

The food here was so good I went three times during my stay in HangZhou. Several of the staff spoke English, and the menu also had English translations, which we really appreciated. We tried a variety of dishes, all of which were delicious. The restaurant itself was very nice and the prices were reasonable. I would highly recommend it.

Reviewed 6 June 2018 via mobile

The food is to die for, we loved everything it was really great. Try the marinated chicken haha now that's a gem. Well its hard to put a word on perfection try yourself

Reviewed 13 May 2018 via mobile

Great Thai place which is a bit difficult to find, as it seems to belong to the close hotel. The restaurant itself looks upper class, but the prices are reasonable and the Thai food very delicious and authentic (although not very spicy). The staff speaks fluent English, which is a plus.

Date of visit: May 2018

Been to Sawasdee Thai Restaurant? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK