All reviews glutinous rice chinese restaurant beautiful hotel shanghai china lake
Reviewed 3 May 2016 via mobile

I made a reservation through trip advisor via booking.com, the reservation stated that I was already charged for my room. They could not find my reservation. Checkin took 1/2 hour. Extremely poor management. The reservation stated that I only needed to pay 15% additional for service charge fee. The front desk was using a calculator and it took a total of 3 people to help me check in. They took a 4500 deposit. I went to the spa. I planned charging the spa services to my room. Before, I even checked out of the spa, they called my room and hassled my husband for additional funds as they said that I did not have enough deposit to cover my spa charges. I went up to my room, my husband was extremely stressed out not knowing what was going on. I went to the front desk to clear up the matter. The front desk was extremely rude and said, I had enough from my initial deposit to cover the charges. The hotel is rated 5 stars, the service is as poor as a 2 star budget hotel in China. The rooms and facilities are dated. The only good thing is the garden. Location is remote and there is nothing that is accessible without a car. It is nearly impossible to get a cab without using an app to arrange one. Avoid, there are so many lovely placed to stay in Hangzhou. By the way, the a/c in room 308 is broken and the shower is poorly designed. The shower floor is lower in the back corner and the shower does not drain, flooding the bathroom floor.

Stayed: May 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 November 2014

As a result of wanting to get to Hangzhou for a weekend and wanted to avoid crowds on West Lake, we decided to book somewhere away from the tourists and this place came up.

Location: Far from West Lake but near to the tea plantations of Meijiahu and Song Dynasty. Since this place is not too near major attractions, taxis can be a hassle if you are not driving. However, if you are driving, getting access to nearby places can be easy.

Check-in: Swift, quick, and very polite.

Rooms: Comfortable, clean, good amenities. Pillows a little too soft.

Wifi: Great speed. However, no VPN.

Facilities: When we were there, Hangzhou was raining and as a result, we had to stay indoors all the time. One unplanned activity was to go for the indoor swimming pool. The pool was ok but the changing room is separated from the temperature-controlled swimming pool across the hall. Hence, we had to freeze across the hall to get from the changing room to the swimming pool, and vice-versa. We then wanted to go for table tennis and were told that that facility costs RMB100. Who would pay RMB100 for table tennis in China?

Chinese Restaurant: Since we are stuck in the hotel, we opted for the Chinese restaurant. Food was simply great. We had the best glutinous rice ball dessert ever. The xiaolongbao was also great. Highly recommended dining location.

Breakfast: Was good. No complaint.

Car park: There was a car park at the basement and access to room floors from the car park is possible. Great for convenience but security can be an issue if not monitored.

Back garden: Great outdoor swimming pool and a walking-trail garden. There is even a small pond with a wooden sampan in it. Great for relaxation purposes.

For those who wants to relax and rest, this is a good place. For those who wants to tour and enjoy Hangzhou, try to get somewhere nearer to major attractions. This is a great hotel after all. Recommended.

• Stayed: November 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank eywchan
Reviewed 6 October 2014

My partner surprised me to a nice weekend at the Hangzhou Rose garden resort. We were immediately happy to find that the resort was above common Chinese standards: Spotless clean, comfortable rooms with elegant design. The gardens as very relaxing, with exotic animal inhabitants. The swimming pool is great. The front office manager (Mr. Fisher/Yue) has incredibly high standards of service. He was of a great help during the whole stay - helping to find train details, book tickets for shows, even helped to clear some admin issues with local authorities. As I told him - We will come back 50% for the location 50% to come say hi to him. Ever heard of going the extra mile? well he goes way beyond his job to satisfy and help.
The only negative point of the hotel we found would be with the F&B - We haven't tried the chinese restaurant, but at the bar, the food and drinks menu only had very few items. You won't find cocktails here (only a few basics). Western breakfast or lunch/diner is overpriced and not very interesting or satisfying.

Great experience nonetheless if you don't mind too much about F&B.

Room Tip: Mountain view is very nice
  • Stayed: September 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 August 2013 via mobile

Very quiet nice garden view and perfect pool to relax. Friendly service but do no expect too much of them. They do not even can give you information on trains to come back !
Ragtime of 2 mins looped during lunchtime : at least you do not occupy the lunch room very long !

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 19 June 2013

My husband and I have been living for more than two years in China. We have spent most summer weekends at this beautiful Hotel Resort. We enjoy the view to the mountains, the fantastic park and life in and by the pool.
This hotel has the most friendly staff we have ever met ! We enjoy the good brakfast and our fantastic dinners in a quiert atmosphere. The rooms are very spacious and clean. We really feel at home there !
A couple from Denmark