“PLEASANTLY SURPRISED!”
Review of Merlinhod Hotel

Merlinhod Hotel
Ranked #70 of 2,652 Hotels in Xi'an
Reviewed 31 August 2012

Xi'an was the first stop on my first, ever, trip to China, so I really didn't know what to expect. I arrived late in the evening after traveling all day, and despite my excitement, I simply wanted to get some rest. I was VERY pleasantly surprised when my driver pulled up to the front of the hotel and said, "Here you are!"

The hotel actually consists of two buildings. The main building is a bit more upscale and contains the reception, dining areas, spa, and more expensive rooms. The other building (just a few steps across the parking lot) is a mix of residential apartments and more modestly priced rooms. I stayed in the latter building and was quite pleased with the accommodations. My room was a double with two double beds. Unfortunately, the beds were stiff as a board and not comfortable, at all. The room was pleasantly decorated and had a refrigerator, mini-bar and select goodies (all chargeable, of course). There was a very nice desk with information about the area and hotel; however, it was all in chinese. The bathroom was large and had embroidered towels and assorted toiletries. Overall, I was happy with the room. Aside from the uncomfortable, I was thoroughly pleased with my stay. The receptionists were tremendously helpful in getting me both checked-in and out in a timely fashion.

If you choose to stay here, you MUST, MUST, MUST have at least one meal in the dining area; it is TRULY unreal! They have PALM TREES growing in the middle of the hotel, and I found the food to be DELICIOUS! I only stayed here for one night, so I had breakfast and was THOROUGHLY pleased!

Room Tip: Treat yourself to a meal in the dining area; it is QUITE the experience!
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Thurman M
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 22 September 2011

Went to Xi'an on business, some leisure and to re-connect with friends.

Location is absolutely the best if you like Muslim Street and Historical sites such as the Drum and Belle Tower. In the middle and walking distance of all shopping and food outlets. Unfortunately, that's about all you will be happy with.

Check in unfriendly. Did not get the room that I have had confirmed the day before. Smokey Lobby and Elevators, where Non-Smoking basic paper signs are even posted outside. Smokey corridors and open doors with people loudly speaking and smoking. Room carpet filthy and stained and as thin as the 20 years it has lived. Ask the room attendant why so dirty, answered was that they were so busy had no time to deep clean the rooms. Showers although of good size, was excessively dirty with Moldy walls, cracked ceiling and filthy floor. Sewage is another disaster, smelley and dirty. Sink counter broken in many places. Bed comfortable however beware of the Blood stains under the bed sheets.

Room overlooked the Restaurant on the 5th Floor which made the room noisy at times. Now the Breakfast is where you do not want to go. Poor in every aspect. Plates of food empty, refill late, coffee bitterly bad, service is friendly and try to help. Poor supervision makes it an unpleasant experience.

There are 4 good things about this property:
1. Internet is free
2. Toilet Paper is Soft
3. For Lovers of Chinese Hamburger, you can replace your breakfast with this delight and it is right next door 1 minute to the right of the main entrance.
4. Location is probably the best in Xi'an

It is unfortunate that they do not take care of the product and provide for a better feel. Really unfortunate.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank BrotherYo
Reviewed 23 October 2010

We'd read that lots of tourists stay at the Bell and Drum Hotel and wanted to avoid that. This is in the same area but next to the Drum tower (and the tourist information office)whereas the other is close to the Bell tower (a short walk away). Our two taxi drivers didn't know it but we just had to point to the drum tower on the tourist map. The photos of the lobby looked a little tacky online but in person was quite nice. It was a very nice place and we would have loved to have stayed more than two nights (U.S. $150!!! for both). The Chinese patrons were all well dressed and I noticed a curious look or two in our direction (dressed in shorts and sneakers) but not enough to bother us. Our room was very clean and did not smell like smoke. We booked online and put in comments that we'd like a non smoking room with an outer facing window and that's exactly what we got. We had a nice, clean bathroom, a queen bed, a desk, and a couple chairs. The mini bar snack prices were not jacked up like you normally see in hotels. I slept soundly, my husband heard noises from a temple in the morning (which he enjoyed watching out the window anyway). The shower/tub did have one of those weird picture windows into the room but thankfully it was covered with a shade. English wasn't the norm for staff but we never had to wait very long for an English speaking staff member to be found and brought to us. We had only two complaints. When we went to the supposedly 24 hour restaurant (at maybe 2pm) we were told it was closed. It looked like there was a wedding reception in progress but I would still expect a portion to be open to guests. We weren't offered room service either but that might have been due to a language barrier. The restaurant looked beautiful anyway but we never had a chance to try the food. The other complaint is about the tour booking office in the lobby (not sure if it's owned by the hotel or not). DO NOT USE THEM (although I can't recommend an alternative as we had some trouble using the tourist info center as well). We chose the "half day" Terracotta Warrior tour which was competitively priced. The sign said pick up would be at 9:30 but the agent told us to be in the lobby at 9. At 8:30 we were about to leave our room for breakfast when we received a call from the "guide" who was in the lobby waiting for us. She walked us to another hotel (yes, we had assumed a bus would pick us up right at the hotel but we didn't care) where we picked up another person and then walked to the Bell & Drum Hotel where we joined more tourists and another "guide" and had to wait in the lobby a bit for the bus to arrive. The bus then took us a short distance to a youth hostel where some debarked for another bus and we proceeded to wait quite awhile for other tourists to be delivered from their hotel. It was after 9:30 when we finally took off. We could have had breakfast at our hotel and had more than enough time to walk there by ourselves if we had been given the option. Those "guides" were really just there to get us to the starting point! The real guide was actually very knowledgeable and interesting. We had no idea that our "half day" tour included lunch and thought we'd be back by 1pm. Nope, we were back around 6pm and were unable to attend the show we had planned on. I wish I could say the extra time was worth it but it was taken up by an unexpected stop at a factory, lunch and a wasted visit to the site of an unexcavated tomb (you look at a hill and that's ALL - nothing else to see). If we'd wanted a full day tour we would have signed up for one (and it would have included other famous sites - like the tombs you get to enter). The bus was mostly ok - windows and AC worked but the sliding door was held into place with a strap! A quick survey of other English speaking tourists revealed that they were also surprised by the extra stops and expecting a much shorter tour. Clearly the other hotel tour offices were just as unclear on what they were selling.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank hgptraveler
Reviewed 24 September 2010

Went to Xian on business. The hotel is excellently situated right in the middle of the historic center of the city. Check in was smooth even though the staff didn’t speak English. I asked for a non-smoking room and they obliged. Got to the 8t floor and was pleasantly surprised, I got the impression that I could be in for a treat with a nice luxury room. Entered the room, and again not bad. Then all of a sudden this strong stale smell overpowered me. I thought I had asked for a non-smoking room??? I looked around and saw no ashtrays, huh, weird. I tried to sit it out a bit to see if it would go away or I maybe would just get used to it, but nothing. I try to open a window to see if this would make a difference but this was an internal room and the window facing what looked like a restaurant couldn’t be opened. I packed my bags and went back down to reception to ask for a room change. Mustering the best Mandarin I could manage, they agree to give me another room on the same floor. Okay, it was almost 10pm, but I was still confident of my chances of getting a good night’s sleep. I open the room door and not only do I notice the same smell but this one is coupled with a hint of sewer! This is a street facing room so I open a window as a last resort to try and air the room out. Hmmm, it’s very noisy outside and maybe not a good idea. I also realize that this room is in a much shoddier state than the other one, the carpets are all ripped and stained. I walk into the toilet and discover where the sewer smell is coming from. Checked the shower area, ughhh, very dirty with moldy walls. What should I do? I don’t want to shower! Should I rough it and sleep in my street clothes? I decide to go back down and ask for my first room back, at least that room is cleaner and all I have to deal with is the smell. I head down to reception again and ask for my old room back. I can see one of the reception ladies is getting annoyed with my high standards. But hang on I say, I forgot my blackberry charger in the second room and I’ll be right back. As I head back down to the lobby a guest enters the lift from the 7th floor and I notice a sign on the wall saying “no-smoking floor.” Ahha, there’s my ticket to a good sleep. As I go back down ask for a 7th floor room and they give it to me. This time they send the bellboy up with me to make sure I’m happy. I go in, not bad, I ask him to leave. The room still smells, like a smoking room in a regular hotel but at least it’s bearable. The carpets were stained and not in the best condition but not as bad as the second room, same with the toilet. I guess I have to make the best out of this situation, as long as I don’t stand on the carpet with my bare feet I should be alright. I went to bed, had a somewhat decent sleep, got up early, and as I was waiting for the lift in the no-smoking floor I see this ashtray next to it with a forest of cigarette buts. I checked out and headed straight to Starbucks (thank god for them!) for breakfast, didn’t want to stay in that hotel for another second.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 July 2008

We stayed at the Golden Tang for 2 nights as part of a China tour. The hotel was booked for us by the tour company and, after reading reviews on TripAdvisor, we were a little apprehensive. However, our experience overall was quite positive. It seems that this hotel may now be part of the Mandarin Oriental chain, which could be why it is difficult to find info on the internet. The rooms are large and the beds comfortable. Noise did float up to our room from the dining area below, and, as another reviewer noted, you can see into the shower area from the sleeping area (the pull-down "shade" of sorts is translucent and does not help with privacy!). Although the staff spoke limited English and you cannot change money at the desk on the weekend, the breakfast was good and the location pleasant for walking and exploring. The air conditioning was not great but overall we were pleased with the hotel for two nights.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple