See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 5 October 2013

We did not have any problems and found everything fine and clean. The room did not smell of smoke, although apparently smoking is permitted as the room had an ashtray. air conditioning working very well. We speak enough Chinese to manage without English. You may not find much English speaking help here. I rather enjoyed the more traditional Chinese look of the hotel and room. The bed are also more usual very firm Chinese mattress, so this may be an issue for Americans used to much softer bed. Great price and great location. We went to the hotel restaurant for fine dim sum breakfast, and other morning walked down the street to the bakery for coffee.

Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 9 June 2011

I thought I was the only one experiencing this kind of problem.
Yes, it is true that this hotel practices a policy of turning off the air con in the afternoon and night time. Except for this issue, otherwise this hotel is acceptable for the rate that we are paying. The location is very convenient too. It's in the heart of the city center. Just a few steps, you can reach to whatever attractions that you want.
Stayed in this hotel for a few times last summer and winter. So, the best time to stay in this hotel is during winter, you don't need to bother about the air con.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled solo
3  Thank sharemw
Reviewed 30 May 2011

The air conditioning is controlled centrally. They decide when you need it and when you don't. Even in sweltering weather, they turn on the air conditioning at ~7:00 pm and turn it off anywhere between 3:00-6:00 am (I am writing this at 8:30 am from inside the hotel and the a/c has been off for a few hours; my inside room temperature is already 23 centigrade and the sun is only just coming up). In other words, there is NO AIR CONDITIONING on during the daytime, when the temperatures are well above 30 centigrade. When I complained, I was told that guests are out touring during the daytime and no guest has ever complained about not having air conditioning during the daytime.

I'm packing up today and moving to another hotel. I regret moving otherwise, as the service is good. Everything is basic and otherwise okay. However, it is deceptive and cruel to turn off the air conditioning and make the room you are paying for uninhabitable during the daytime.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank MahjongHK
Reviewed 1 May 2010

A cautious message to all members!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We were staying in hell through the night. The rooms were smelly, opaque windows, hard mattress, noise from the street throughout the night. All of us, in 2 rooms, were coughing through the night because the air inside filled with cigarette and stench. We were unable to sleep at all.

So members, STAY AWAY############

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with friends
2  Thank KHLEOW
Reviewed 9 April 2010

I stayed in the hotel during easter in 2010 and I'd say it was decent. nothing too special, but I wasn't expecting much so I was quite pleased with the hotel. The rooms were clean although a bit old fashioned and the location of the hotel was relatively good. Walking distance from the river and several restaurants nearby, although the food I had was not that special. They offer some basic room service with chinese and a few western items but I'd rather go and try out some Guilin Mi Fen on a side street.

I'm almost repeating myself by saying that the service was nothing special, but that's how this hotel was. In general I'd say it's a decent hotel and I wouldn't mind staying there again. Just don't expect anything too fancy.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple