See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 23 June 2013

The Elan is a Chinese hotel so we have compared it to other Chinese hotels we've stayed . Anyone who has traveled in China will understand that there are Chinese hotels and Western hotels, and shift expectations accordingly.
1. Non English speaking receptionist very reluctant to check us in, kept ignoring us and dealing with any Chinese guest-took over 30 minutes to check in. Booked a non smoking twin room, was given a stinking, smoking double room. To the receptionist credit she gave us a different room quickly once I had pantomimed the issue. New room still stank of cigarette but it was a twin room so conceded defeat, being 50% happy.
2. Beds - very hard, but this is normal for China.
3. The shower - no cold water, absolutely no cold water. Just boiling hot from either tap. Left the water running for 5 minutes, twiddling every knob. Cold water in the basin but not in the shower. Had no choice but to wet a hand towel, let it cool, then use it for a wash down.
4. Before the second persons shower we let the water run for 30 minutes, hoping it would use up some hot water, but all it did was bring out the stinky smell of uric acid from the shower tiles where people have obviously urinated in the shower.
5. Settling down to sleep, realised I had a damp pillow -the air conditioning unit above the bed was dripping! Pulled the bed a metre away from the wall, but during the night every time the a/c vents moved they audibly squeaked and sprayed me with water.
When checking out the next day, we reiterated the issues from the previous night and suddenly the receptionist could speak English, a feature she didn't offer when checking us in or dealing with the issues the previous night.

In summary -don't bother! Unless you wish to receive 3rd degree burns, no sleep, nocturnal misting from the a/c and clear nasal passages.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Suzrush
Reviewed 13 November 2012

Everything was perfect during my stay. The hotel is at 5 minutes walk from the train station, rooms are beautiful and the bathroom is the best I've ever had. The ladies at the reception are smiling, welcoming and ready to please. If I have to raise a complaint I would suggest not to take tours offered by the front desk.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank mahfuz65
Reviewed 31 October 2012

The staff members spoke some English which was good and quite helpful. The tourism desk at the lobby is very helpful and the lady there was really nice in advising where to go and how to get there. The rooms were alright. The only downside was that the room I stayed in was extremely noisy in the morning because it was next to a school, so at around 8am you can hear people talking on loudspeaker and lots of children yelling.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank conieisland
Reviewed 15 April 2012

Stayed at Elan for 5 nights!!! And no complaints!! Read the reviews of others who stayed here and booked it. When we reached Guilin, the cab driver told us that Elan is not a good hotel, for the same rate you can book other 4 stars hotel with big rooms! I got a bit worried thinking that the reviews I read could be wrong, but believe me, this is one of the best hotel rooms you can find in Guilin. Very clean and best of all the shower is awesome!! No complaints about the room and incredible $30 bucks only!! What more could you ask for??

Don't believe the cab drivers at all! They will take you to places where they get commissions! We checked in at Elan Inn, dropped off our luggage and the same cab driver took us to look at other hotels he mentioned thinking that he might be right that there are other hotels at the same rate with better rooms, but NO, totally not! Elan is still nice and contemporary!

The only drawback I would say is that there are no closet to hang your clothes. Which is not really necessary for me at least. Cause I travel with jeans and t-shirts which doesn't need to be hung. Cab ride is pretty cheap, it starts at 7 RMB. Aren't a lot of restaurants around but it was no biggie for us because we mostly went out to town to eat. Its only about a 5-10 minutes ride to the town. If you guys want good Western food, I suggest you guys go to River view Cafe near Elephant Nose Mountain which is close by. River view Cafe has really good breakfast, coffee, and great Pizza. Chilly beef pizza is really good and a must try.

Elan Inn, no complaints, will RECOMMEND EVERY ONE TO STAY THERE. 5 nights...only $150 CAD!! Incredible!! Hope they sustain the same cleanliness and price! Will definitely stay again if I go back to Guilin!!

Room Tip: Ask them to give you a room away from the streets. In the morning it might be a bit noise for light sleepers. For me, it was alright.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank li_patricia
Reviewed 25 April 2011

This was a great place for the price and even twice the amount. Not sure it will maintain its low prices because it is new and this may be an introductory offer. It is most clean and well kept. Only downside is VERY few staff members speak English or any language other than a Chinese dialect.

Room Tip: Get a room on the back side of the hotel.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple