Our flight had been delayed by 8 hours and we missed our connection to Europe. Consequently, China Southern accommodated us at the Pullman Hotel, Guangzhou Baiyun Airport as we were flying business class.
We arrived after 01:00 and had frustrating delays both at the airport and hotel reception. The check-in process was done by a China Southern representative and there seemed to be a lack of agreement of what we were entitled to. Every minor decision including check out time, meal entitlements, had to be approved by someone higher up and this involved numerous telephone calls. It was after 02:00 before we got to our room.
The hotel is conveniently located just across the street from the airport terminal. There are electric buggies, apparently for the transfer employees from the terminal to the hotel as we did not see guests ever being offered such a transfer. Guests had to walk and carry their own bags.
Our room was large, with all the expected inclusions of flat screen TV; bath (bathroom amenities included additional items like toothbrush and toothpaste which is useful for those staying over without access to their luggage); in room safe; mini bar and hair dryer. Our room was very quiet and we heard no airport or aircraft noise. There is no complimentary in-room wifi, however, the restaurants and lobby have complimentary wifi.
Staff were friendly enough, it was just that there were so many of them in and around the lobby. Running the gauntlet, all insisting that we have a nice day becomes tiresome because it seemed that nearly every question such as the way to the restaurant, had to be referred to a more senior person. Unfortunately, the additional people did not result in better or more efficient service. At times they seemed to duplicate or worse, confuse what another was already doing. There was an issue when communicating with reception and concierge staff in English, as many seemingly simple questions about what to see in Guangzhou, etc were not well answered. We sat in the lobby and had to do our own research using our iPad – our stopover was unplanned so we had not done any research in advance.
We found the food in U8 very average, both as to quality and taste.
A big frustration came from the (apparently Accor) policy of pre-authorising every possible charge. The receptionist had already taken an imprint of our credit card on check-in. We booked a taxi for a four-hour trip to Guangzhou city with the concierge. When we arrived at the lobby at appointed time, there was a commotion between five staff members. The issue was that when we made the booking, the concierge had not sent us onto reception to get the car charge pre-authorised to our credit card. It took then nearly half an hour to sort this out, have the cost charged to our credit card and get a car/driver. We had been planning to settle our bill in cash, however, we did not trust the hotel to properly reverse the credit card charge.
Our first experience of this pre-charging policy was at the Sofitel Hotel St James in London where the staff could explain this practice. This practice becomes more offensive when it is sprung on you in a foreign country where you do not understand their explanation or their charging system. It would be nice if the hotel trusted its guests to honour their charges otherwise I feel that guest may also be apt to take the same attitude of distrust towards the hotel.
The hotel was acceptable for one night, but if we had longer in Guangzhou we would stay in the city.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Pullman Guangzhou Baiyun Airport is a 15-second walk from Gate 12 of Airport Departure Hall, ideally located in the heart of the Guangzhou Baiyun International Airport and 30-minute metro ride journey to city centre. With a modern style emphasizing comfort and contemporary technologies, the hotel provides 578 exquisitely furnished rooms, 3 unique restaurants and bars. 1,500㎡ pillar-free multi-functional Kapok Ballroom could be subdivided into 3 smaller venues; Concord Ballroom covers 460㎡ and we also have 20 different size meeting rooms. Hotel provides fully-equipped fitness & entertainment facilities as well, a 200㎡ gymnasium, 380 parking spots & a brand-new executive lounge. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with ACCOR, Booking.com, Expedia, HotelQuickly, Hotels.com, Ctrip TA and Agoda so you can book your Pullman Guangzhou Baiyun Airport reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Pullman Guangzhou Baiyun Airport Hotel Guangzhou
- Accor Guangzhou Baiyun Airport
- Novotel Guangzhou