“Excellent meat”

Korovabar
Ranked #350 of 10,243 Restaurants in St. Petersburg
Cuisines: Steakhouse, Barbecue, European, Fusion, Central European
Good for: Business meetings, Child-friendly, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Nijmegen, The Netherlands
“Excellent meat”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2011

I ordered a sirloin steak (that's the reason why I chose this restaurant). It's simple: I have rarely eaten such good meat. It was almost as if the meat was melting in my mouth. Absolutely fabulous.

Only issue was that the chef was a bit too enthusiastic with salt. When I go again, I will ask to have it less salted, and then I believe nothing can beat this steak!

A bit pricey, but definitely worth it!

• Visited August 2011
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Perth, WA
“A great meal on our first night in St Petersburg”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2011

I read about this place in the "St Petersburg in your pocket" magazine that our hotel gave us upon arriving in this wonderful city. Seemed like a decent enough restaurant for our first night.

Korovabar is well decorated inside (cow hides cover the walls) and a short work from the Nevsky Prospekt. Upon arriving, we were greeted by stunning looking hostesses and shown to our table even though we didn't have a booking. The place had a great atmosphere and our meals and drinks were organised quickly and efficiently. It wasn't a tourist hangout but the staff spoke English fine and were very welcoming.

I had a yellowfin tuna salad as an entree and the tuna was cooked perfectly - pink in the middle but cooked well on the outside. It was dusted with peppercorns and I had no problem cleaning my plate quickly. Steak is obviously their specialty and I was happy to try out a sirloin as a main course. I ordered medium rare and it was cooked to my liking. The others were also happy with their meals.

I've mentioned in my other restaurant reviews in St Petersburg that wine is very expensive for some reason even though spirits and beer are what you would expect to pay. Perhaps the Russians aren't big wine drinkers as yet. Still, we managed to find a wine that we enjoyed and tried to forget about the cost. Our wine glasses were regularly topped up and ordering more drinks was not an issue.

This was our first night in St Petersburg and we had only been in the city a few hours before arriving so were slightly apprehensive. However, once we settled in at Korovabar and had a few drinks, we really enjoyed ourselves and it set the mood nicely for the rest of our trip. For three of us, I think we paid about $5,500 rubles ($180 Australian) including tip and alcohol so there were no complaints considering how expensive St Petersburg is supposed to be. When it was time to go, one of the hostesses organised a taxi for us and let us know when it arrived. I would recommend this place if money is a bit of an issue but you still want a decent meal in a central location.

• Visited April 2011
1 Thank rjbalfour
St. Petersburg, Russia
“meat, meat and.... more meat”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2010

meat, meat and.... more meat... One of the first, proper stake houses that opened in 2004. Specializes in stakes and wine. Many "trend setters' go there along with polititians, "gold diggers" and "shady types". Never the less, the food is worth it and if you don't mind the bit of a slow service, it's good to spend some time there, drinking wine, people watching and chewing on a chunk of a cow. Enjoy!

St. Petersburg, Russia
“you want to try striploin, beefsteak, new...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2010

you want to try striploin, beefsteak, new yourk sirloin, ribeye, cowboy - these steaks. prepares them professional. restaurant is decorated with bottles of wine and the skin of cows. comfortable. downtown. recommend selection of salads to try, great.