“Cool place”
Review of Varvara

Varvara
Ranked #1,596 of 11,650 Restaurants in St. Petersburg
Price range: US$ 3 - US$ 13
Description: The only restaurant of Russian cuisine on Rubinshteina street. Skobari is a generalized name for the inhabitants of Pskov, severe and courageous. The idea continues both in the menu and in the interior.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

The interior is quite unique. It’s a small place, but not crowded. The service was excellent and the food and atmosphere was great. Would come back again.

Date of visit: November 2018

Reviewed 24 October 2018 via mobile

Very interesting interior design, small place but not crowded, looks more like a café than a restaurant. I ordered zucchini pancakes and they were absolutely amazing. They used local Russian cuisine influences, but the food was modern and served really nice. The portion wasn’t big though (but for a good price), it’s a good place to eat sth for a small hunger or it’s just nice to order two dishes. I’ll be back there soon because it’s one of my favourite places in my Petersburg food map. And the waitress can speak English (which is not a normal situation in cheaper restaurants).

Date of visit: October 2018
1  Thank JaneQ93
Reviewed 22 October 2018 via mobile

Number one on tripadvisor - we were hoping to get a table without a reservation. But we walked in at 7ish on a Monday night and were the only ones there. The decor is cute and cosy. "Instagrammable" We ordered two small cold appetizers - the avocado paste with cashew nuts and cheese and the chicken liver paté - as well as the salmon tataki as a hot appetizer. The salmon was nice but I expected more. We thought the avocado was going to be something special - it wasn't. A piece of cheese on a toast, next to a bit of avocado spread and some cashew nuts. A bit tasteless. The paté was amazing however. We're still the only people in the restaurant when our main dishes are brought to the table... while we were still in the middle of our appetizers!! Are they in a rush?? Clearly our mains are now getting cold while we finish our appetizers. We were so surprised neither of us got a word out to question this. Once we finished our mains, we waited endlessly for one of the waiters hanging on the counter in the corner of the room to offer the dessert menu or ask if we wanted some coffee or tea. In the end, tired of waiting, I call the waitress. She comes to the table "Bill, yes?" and she puts the bill down and hands out the machine to pay by card. Now I'm just shocked. We were now only 3 tables in the restaurant but clearly they do not care about having any guests or offering decent service to the few ones they have. While we were eating a tourist couple actually walked up to the counter asking if this was a restaurant and the answer was "no". What?!?! This is just absolutely shameful. The paté was good, the other appetizers tasteless and the mains OK but nothing great. (Beef tartare and undercooked zucchini pancakes) The service appalling. The only reason this place is number 1 on Tripadvisor, in our opinion, is because they promise you two glasses of wine if you leave them a review. I was in between poor and terrible because the food was OK but came to the decision that even if the food was the best I ever had, this service would still keep me from ever coming back. First time I leave zero tip in Russia. The waitress did smile at us when we left.

Date of visit: October 2018
2  Thank Nath S
Варвара С, Управляющий at Varvara, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2018

Dear Nath,
Thank you for your feedback!
We ask guests to make reviews about our restaurant. Both good and bad. This is very important for us.
Especially bad.
Firstly, we are very sorry that you did not like the restaurant.
To be honest, this is our first negative review for the year of work.
Usually, guests appreciate the quality of our food and service.
We talked to the waiters and we think there was a misunderstanding. Our colleagues said that you were smiling, had a good time and liked the food.
Please accept our apologies for the unpleasant emotions. Breakfast and snacks from our restaurant appreciate the whole city.
We would be happy if you came to us again.
Sincerely, Varvara team

Reviewed 22 September 2018 via mobile

We went for lunch but it was very late and empty. We were too early for the evening menu which is what we really wanted. Having said that the lunch menu was more than enough. The food was cooked and prepared fresh and delicious. We wished we had time to go back in the evening as I’m sure it’s a fun place to be.

Date of visit: September 2018
Reviewed 1 July 2018

I visited Varvara 3-4 times during the world cup as it was not too far from my Airbnb flat.
The selection of breakfast is simply incredible and it is - for us Westerners - very cheap compared to what we could get in Europe.
I also visited one evening where it was a little busy and the waitress was very kind and attentive. I decided to go with a Russian stout which wasn't the best idea as it was strong but we all make wrong choices ;)
Anyway, I highly recommend if you're looking for somewhere for breakfast.

Date of visit: June 2018