Opera Plaza Hotel
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
US$ 123
Hotels.com
US$ 91
US$ 89
Travelocity
Pensiunea Siago Hotel(Cluj-Napoca)(Great Value!)
US$ 67
US$ 54
Lol et Lola Hotel(Cluj-Napoca)
US$ 94
US$ 86
Hotel Paradis(Cluj-Napoca)
US$ 93
US$ 73
US$ 75
US$ 72
Travelocity
All reviewsbusiness tripcentral locationthe room service menucomplimentary waterwithin easy walking distancehotel is excellentbreakfast was excellentlaundry servicecleaning staffroom ratelobby barrooms are spaciousminute walkold towngood pointsnice poolconference room
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 26 May 2017

I stayed in Cluj-Napoca for 5 days, to attend the conference and to walk around in the city during the free time. Opera Plaza is a nice hotel with proper infrastructure and pleasant personnel. Besides the room called Opera, we used 2 conference rooms and restaurant. Everything seems to be well organized and maintained.

Room Tip: good location, nice infrastructure and pleasant personnel
Reviewed 19 May 2017

I have stayed at this hotel before but this visit of three weeks was the longest. Unfortunately when you stay at a hotel for this length of time you really see the little problems that can become irritating. However there is also much to appreciate so first I'd like to set out the good points. The staff are excellent, friendly, willing to assist, and they speak good english. The food in the restaurant is fine dining, varied, well presented and tasty, though the helpings are a little large for my taste, particularly the starters. The rooms are a reasonable size and comfortable, though could do with air conditioning, but I guess that sort of ugrade would require a fairly major refit. The bathroom was well fitted out and the shower was excellent, though on the 5th floor the hot water took a time to come through. The cleaning staff do a great job and are quick and efficient, something I noticed when temporarily vacating my room on a Sunday so they could clean. The laundry service is very quick. So what were the niggles? Well firstly the disappearing staff. You could go and sit in the lobby bar and despite the reception being aware you were there, could die of thirst before a waiter appeared to serve you with a drink. One evening I waited 15 minutes with no sign of serving staff. The dining room was similar, usually very quiet and under utilised, waiting staff would disappear to reappear much later. I'm not sure if this is due to a shortage of staff. Breakfast, though adequate, is a bit hit and miss, much better if you have something from the eggs cooked to order menu, though I had been breakfasting for a week before luckily choosing a table that had this menu. It should be on every table but isn't. Some mornings the croissant and pastry/biscuit selection is better than others, the selection of jam (2 + honey) seems to vary, most of it unfortunately not to my taste and as a British person, I do like my tea in the morning. Unfortunately for at least a week there was no English Breakfast Tea available, no black tea at all in fact, and despite asking more than once, it was never replenished, and I was reduced to drinking green tea which is not my favourite. Also on the subject of food, I would like to see a selection of smaller/lighter more bistro type meals available either in the dining room, or even in the bar as I don't want fine dining every night and was forced into going out to eat more often than I would have liked. Fortunately there are a number of restaurants within easy walking distance or a cheap taxi ride away. My final niggle is the number of functions the hotel has at weekends, weddings and the like. Hotel guests are reduced to eating in the lobby bar, with the noise from the function making it difficult to speak, and young children from the function running around and making lots of noise also. The lobby bar really needs to be walled off to permit more privacy and less noise in these conditions, or perhaps the hotel could move their bar/dining offerings for guests to the conference room on the top floor? Don't get me wrong, I like this hotel overall and will happily stay here on my next visit to Cluj, which is why I have given it 4/5, but with a little effort it could be a lot better.

Reviewed 18 May 2017

This is not a 5 stars hotel. Everything is old and used: room furniture, carpets throughout the hotel. Air conditioning in the room is old and generally does not have the facilities and services of a 5 star hotel Breakfast is varied but poorly quality. Breakfast croissants with apricot jam are bought from hypermaket :((
The hotel location is good, close to city center. Frendly staff.

2  Thank b67vss
Reviewed 11 May 2017

I was in Cluj for 2 weeks, to lecture at one of the universities. The Opera Plaza Hotel was suggested because its location was both near the university and within walking distance of the city center. The hotel is very comfortable, clean, the breakfasts (inluded in the room rate) were excellent, but what set the hotel apart was the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff. From the reception desk to the waiters, to the cleaning staff, they were terrific. There was a small confusion when I arrived - the reservation (made well in advance) had inadvertently been deleted. Nonetheless, without missing a beat the young lady at reception resolved the problem efficiently and cheerfully. The National Opera is just 2 blocks away, and the City Center is, at most, a 10 -15 minute walk. I was comfortable and well satisfied with my stay.

Room Tip: The economy rooms are really small,only suitable for a very short stay. The standard rooms are very comfortable..
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 May 2017

I have repeated several times in this hotel, and I have no doubt that, in my opinion, the greatest value is the friendliness and the professionalism of all, and I say all, the staff of the hotel. Receptionists, restaurant managers, waiters, cook, maid service ... I have experience as a customer in many hotels and I know that it is not easy to achieve such high levels of good service, care and friendliness of all the staff. It is simply unbeatable. My congratulations.

I will make a constructive criticism because it serves to improve. The details are sometimes important. The perception of a quality hotel (not in vain is five stars) can deteriorate due to the evidence of some anomalies that, in my opinion, are easily avoidable at low cost. In our room (512) we found that:

- one of the hangers in the entrance was badly screwed.
- An electrical outlet was not properly fixed to the wall.
- The bulb of the desk lamp did not work.

I checked these details in the first 5 minutes of my stay. They do not go unnoticed and it is very simple to verify them. And fixing them is cheap.

It would also be convenient to avoid the lack of towels and bathrobe in the daily refills so you do not have to ask them to the floor maid.

Lastly, the room access card stopped working the last day.

Room Tip: The rooms on the upper floors have better views, facing the Avram Iancu Square
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple