“The best hotel in Davao”
Review of Marco Polo Davao

Marco Polo Davao
Ranked #5 of 53 Hotels in Davao City
Reviewed 9 September 2012

Every time I go to Davao, I stay at MPH, it's really the number 1 place to go. Wonderful pool and bar at the 4th floor. I strongly recommend the executive club floor on floors 17th and 18th.
And while you're there, as concierge to book Apo golf club for you, a traditional old course, the old way!

Room Tip: Book on the executive club floors
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank elsuizofilipino
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 9 September 2012

I spent 3 nights in the Marco Polo in Davao. For a 4-star (and not a 5 star), I think the Marco Polo offered excellent service. The staff personnel are extremely friendly and helpful and everyone speaks English at a high level. The only complaint I have concern the check-in and the room’s bathroom. At check-in, the girl was quick to tell me about an upgrade at a price of 3000 PHP for the 3 nights, but she did not inform me that the Marco Polo is a member of the GHA (Global Hotel Association). I have the GHA platinum card which entitles me to 1 free upgrade, but I didn’t know the Marco Polo was part of the GHA consortium. Thus, I never received my free upgrade. On the 3rd day of my stay, I discovered that the hotel is a GHA partner. It was too late for the upgrade, but the hotel did offer free transportation to the airport (the price is only 150 PHP). You can decide if this was sufficient compensation. My only other complaint was the bathroom, which is in need of renovation. However, the hot water and pressure were more than adequate. I had one meal at the hotel: the buffet dinner, which was nice enough (no steak or seafood), and again, the staff were very friendly. The price with 1 coke was over 1100 PHP, so it was not inexpensive! The Marco Polo has about 3 restaurants, including Cantonese and fine dining. The hotel had a very nice fully equipped gym, but make sure you take proper shoes. The swimming is large but looks old, as do the surrounding area of the pool. Finally, the hotel had 2 bars, and the one by the lobby (open bar) was very nice and the personnel were incredibly friendly. In conclusion, I can gladly recommend the Marco Polo for business or pleasure. The hotel management seems to work hard with their staff to offer exceptional service, but perhaps this is also the Philippine service-minded and friendly attitude that I have always experienced.

Room Tip: I stayed in the deluxe room and found the size okay as a solo traveler, but the bathroom is in need...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank lshapspro
Reviewed 5 September 2012

Prepaid my one night stay...got there after lunch but was told that my room wasn't ready. I got back around 6pm and had to wait in line for around 15-20mins to speak to a front desk personnel, who couldn't find my reservation and room. Finally got my key nearly 30 minutes after I got there only to find that it wasn't the room that I asked for. The room was okay but the bathroom was moldy and dirty. The toilet wouldn't flush properly and the floor was "sticky".

I requested for late check-out and had my key revalidated, only to find that it wouldn't work past 12 noon despite my 2pm key revalidation. I must have ridden that elevator about 20 times in my 18hours stay! I must say I expected better from Marco Polo but I guess they were short of rooms and short of staff. Several floors were under construction so avoid those. They offered me an "upgrade" to the executive floors but I refused that when the whole floor was damp and carpeting was "moldy".

Buffet breakfast went fast and hardly any refill for the "popular" items. They could have done better...

Room Tip: request for a seaview on floors that aren't "under renovation"
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank janandmabel
Reviewed 30 August 2012

Well where do you start.... Stayed at Marco Polo for 7 nights and it was 7 nights of bliss and great service. From reception, concierge, restaurant staff, pool staff, shuttle bus driver all were happy and very professional. Rooms impeccably cleaned and bathrooms and towels always clean. As mentioned elsewhere the WIFI was included in th tarrif, but needed to enquire about this. Pool and pool bar great to waste the hours or relax. Restaurants and breakfast well worth the costs. Hotel conveniently located between shopping centers and taxi rides at minimal costs. Security was appropriate and appreciated. Great souvenir shops cross the road, don't forget to haggle the price as it is expected. Stayed at hotel during KADAWAYAN festival, great location to view the festivities and the hotel provided a viewing platform in the street. I have no hesitation in recommending this hotel and will be retuning here when next in Davao.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Brisflip
Reviewed 29 August 2012

First of all the security is tight, they check the bags when in & out of the hotel. The rooms are just basic, nothing exceptional but maybe because we booked the superior room only. The bed and the sheets are really fluffy and soft. Spacious, with a large writing desk for business travelers and a comfortable sofa for some reading. I love their swimming pool especially at night! Changing lights at the pool amazed me and it is also a lap pool. The buffet breakfast is really satisfying! Too many choices!! I love!!  Their home made yogurt I can't forget, delicious! There is also puto bungbong, bibingka in the buffet table which is uncommon. The location is very good,  there is pasalubong center beside it but no restaurant around. 15mins to airport (around 100php taxi) and 10mins to Abreeza mall (70php taxi). Staffs are accommodating and very attentive.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends