“Full 4 star hotel”

Royal Decameron Golf, Beach Resort & Villas
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Farallon
Reviewed 19 April 2012

Second time at this hotel (last time was in July and it was cooler than Montreal!)

Huge resort, safe, clean garden and rooms, no problem making reservations at restaurants. Majority of clients are from South America (this has a positive aspect on healthier food!). Many stairs on the resorts (part of the complex is up the hill)

Many excursions are quite far away +- 2hrs. Some are 45 minutes away (Anton Valley, Yaya Falls, etc).

Tha Pacific Ocean has strong currents (beach is monitored by lifeguards). When you are a good swimmer this is quite fun.

Cheers!

Room Tip: Use Beach Fronts (no hills to climb and quieter)
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank JPK1965
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 18 April 2012

Went to this resort March 5-12th with my husband for some R & R. Yes it's about 2 hour bus ride to the resort from the airport. i fell asleep so it didn't bother me and it was late anyway. Its not like you could do much on your first night since you don't arrive to 10:30-11:00. On the way back to the airport it seemed to take forever and i think it was over 3 hours. ugggg.......
First impression of the resort was wow!! big!! but after a day or so we knew our way around pretty good. Grounds are so beautiful and always being maintained. Those guys work very hard in the stiffling heat. Thanks to them for that.
We booked ocean front room which was nice but a little too noisy for my liking. I love music mind you but after hearing the same stuff blasting from the pool area everyday it got stale and annoying. We tried to find quiet area's on the beach to relax. Next time, i would book oceanview or villa's since i don't mind walking. if you don't have mobility issues then any of the rooms are good and close to all the activities. We loved walking the resort and the beach to collect beautiful shells which i brought home and are now in a bowl and nice memory of my trip to Panama. We checked out woody's at the end of the beach. We had lunch there and thought it was very good. I thought it was crazy that they charged for a fridge. When we arrived we found one outside of our room and took it. didn't end up having to pay for it so that was a bonus so i gave the money i would have paid out for it in tips to the staff. A friend we met there booked in the villa's and said he was suppose to have a fully stocked fridge since this was included in the brochure and he didn't even get a fridge. Also, the safe was a big joke. to the decameron managment please gets some new modern safes especially if your going to charge for them. It was very old and i coudn't get it open half the time without a struggle. The room was nice and adequate for us with everything we needed. View was nice, air was great and maid service was good. We tipped maids everyday and always came back to a fresh room. Man it was so hot i coudn't beleive it. We usually stay on the beach all day but not this time. We seemed to have to keep moving all the time. Sand is hot even by 11:00 so wear flip flops when walking to get drinks etc...
Food was just alright but we never went hungry. I didn't like the orange drink(couldn't find any real orange juice anywhere. Even went to the store off the resort and all they had was the orange drink too. Beer at the store was 65 cents for balboa this was off the resort. We stocked our fridge with beer and pop. Now since there's a first time for everything, we were asked to leave one of the restaurants because we overstayed our welcome. They kept filling our glasses and we didn't want to be rude and were having a good time. We were chatting and having our dessert and coffee when they asked us to leave. lol... too funny! time limit i guess for next seating. but, restaruant was almost empty.
That being said, yes i would still go back to this resort. I have been to better but also have been to way way worse. The price was amazing and you are guarenteed great weather. What more can you ask for. Our next time back to the decameron will be when the open the new airport opens . i beleive it is slated for 2014 but i'm hoping earlier. To all our canadian friends we met on this trip as well as trip advisor it was a real pleasure meeting you and spending time with you. Seriously, this is a really nice resort and well worth visiting. Panama itself was just beautiful!!

Room Tip: if you have mobility issues book oceanfront.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank donna 123
Reviewed 18 April 2012

Check-In
A disaster! The primary problem is one of communication. If you don't understand Spanish, it will cause difficulty! In our case they couldn't find our reservation, the Security people were clueless, and the people at Reception not much better. The other big problem arises from the fact that they allow late check-out (1 P.M.), so the earliest check-in is at 3 P.M. (without exception!). So you have hundreds of people queued up, all waiting for 3 P.M. to arrive! We finally were assigned a room at 5 P.M.

The Room
At first we were put off because our room was in the Villas, which is quite far from the rest of the complex. However, it was a quiet area, and we learned how to beat the system (more later). Our second communication problem was with the A/C. We couldn't make it work. We started calling right after we checked in, and were promised several times that the "technicians" would arrive shortly. The "techs" (three non-English speaking teens) finally arrived about 1 P.M. the next day and fixed the problem. The third communication problem concerned having the room cleaned. After three calls, they finally showed up. The room itself was pretty nice, the beds were comfortable, and again it was quiet.

Tennis
Our primary activity was tennis. There were only two painted-over cement courts, but they were adequate for our use. If there had been a lot of tennis players, it would have been difficult to play. The "lights" for night play were pathetic, barely being bright enough to attract insects. Just get to the courts early in the morning and you'll be fine. There is no reason to use the reservation system, just show up early.

Other Activities
They don't push the other act ivies! At most all-inclusives there are a plethora of things to do. At the Decameron there weren't that many, but it didn't seem to bother the guests, us included. We had three different aerobic "instructors" for each of the days that we were there, and the quality was excellent/good/lousy. We wanted to attend the dance lessons on the first day, they kept telling us "in five minutes," but the instructor was a no-show. On the second day, he was there, but he wasn't much of an instructor.

The Facility
Amazing. This place was as nice, if not nicer, than any all-inclusive that we have ever attended! The grounds were beautiful, the workers were all friendly and outgoing, and everything was clean. The site is enormous, so you need to map out a strategy. We had our own car which we parked in front of our villa. Each day the Decameron policeman would come by on his cycle and tell us we had to park in the parking lot and we'd tell him that we didn't understand what he was saying. He'd shake his head and write down our license number. He did this about half-a-dozen times, but we didn't give in. During the day we'd drive to the tennis courts, park at the car rental agency, play tennis, leave the car there and walk down into the restaurant/activity areas. At the end of the day we'd walk back up to the car and drive back to the unit.

The Food
It was unbelievable! It was the best of any all-inclusive that we have ever stayed. The fruits, vegetables, soups, pasta, omelets, chicken were indescribably delicious!

Overall
We'd rate it a "4" on a scale of five. If you aren't interested in doing much more than eating and gelling out, you'd might rate it a "5." We will probably go back (assuming that we got the 10% discount through Hotels.com again), but we'd like to see improvements in the communication, in the activities, and in checking-in. By the way, to our surprise and delight, it took all of two minutes to check out!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank QMofHB
Reviewed 16 April 2012

If you want guaranteed hot weather, Panama is the place to go,and Royal Decameron is a great resort to go to. My husband and I were there over the Ontario March Break, but you would not know it (i.e. no college kids gone wild that we ever saw!). We stayed in a Beach front villa so we didn’t get a super deal (beachfront sells out fast, so it’s seldom available for last minute bookings), but it was important to us to stay beachfront, so it was worth paying what we paid to secure it. This was our second trip to this resort, and will not be our last.

As all reviews tell you, this resort was built on a hill, so yes, lots of steps to climb, particularly if you book an ocean view or regular room which are up top of the hill. (Remember, ocean view is different from beachfront rooms).

There are 8 restaurants. You can eat in a restaurant every night. I believe you get three bookings the first time you book, but you can go back every morning and book (1 more a day). Kontiki and Club Med are our favourites, and we also like the Sushi. I think we were expecting the worst with the sushi place, and were pleasantly surprised! Buffet was great for dinner too. Breakfast, the selection was lacking to be truthful, so I hit the omelette bar every morning which never disappointed. We ate lunch at the beach side restaurants everyday (there are a few). Nothing fancy, hamburgers, pizza, but it always hit the spot!!

Plenty of chairs on the beach and on the ocean. But beware, people do hold chairs with their towels. I was actually accosted by a man one morning when he accused me of stealing his chair. He then proceed to say that “someone” moved his towels – which wasn’t me, and then tried to take the chair beside me which was for my husband ( I was on my own at that time). guess he felt tough to try to intimidate a lone woman at the pool…grrrr.

downside: JELLY FISH. We saw at least one person a day getting treated for a sting. I was nervous about going into the ocean because of this. But this would not stop me from going back to the resort and the pool was never too far away so I just cool off there. Perhaps the jelly fish come and go depending on time of year (I don’t remember it being an issue the last time I went).

In my opinion, the beaches are not as breathtaking as Punta Cana or Cuba, but lovely nonetheless.

Those who like to surf, there is a surf village about 20 mins. From the resort called El Palmar. It’s fabulous there. My husband went a couple times. You can rent a board from the hotel/surf school there. I went with him one afternoon, as there is also a beach restaurant where I can hang out and have lunch and a couple drinks. I believe the resort offers a surf excursion as well.

Our favourite beach bar was Nega Nega. The staff were wonderful, regardless if you tip or not. But hey, we can spare a couple bucks day, so give a little. I tried to give a tip to others on the resort that do not get as many tips (the guys that clean the beach for instance, or the life guards).

Rooms are quite spacious, simplle, and clean. We were only inside to get ready or sleep so who cares. Our patio was where we hung out if we were in the room (and the view was worth the $$ we paid).

Woodys: We went down and had lunch there one day. I love the Canadian feel to it, and the fact I can get a ceasar (just like I would make it) and poutine. One suggestion to Woody and Monique, expand the menu for lunch, add some sandwiches (club house, or BLTs, or buffalo chicken). But what we got was delic. Service was fine too.

Airport is being built 5 mins away. We will go back after it is up and running, as the 2 hour trip from the current airport is another downside. But it should not stop you from going. You get to see some of the country! We will take the kids next time…they will love it!!!

Room Tip: beach front is the way to go!
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank amester1974
Reviewed 15 April 2012

I spent 10 nights at the RDC during my stay in Panama. This was my first trip to Panama as well as my first stay at a Royal Decameron property. Having been to other AI resorts in Mexico, Cuba, and The Dominican Republic I am no stranger to the AI experience nor travelling in a Spanish-speaking country.

If you are used to high-end resorts and being pampered with Royal Packages & the like, wait service at the pools/beach, and high quality food & drink, this is NOT the place for you. If you are looking for a nice quiet getaway to relax in peace and quiet, this is NOT the place for you. As is typical with most AI resorts, you will encounter loud obnoxious people who do not know their limits with either food or alcohol. I saw people leave heaping plates of food at one restaurant and walk over to another. Personally, I find this kind of gluttony and waste distasteful and disgusting no matter where you are. Maybe they were never taught to take a little bit of something to see if you like it instead of loading up on more than you would ever eat, even if you did actually like it. Food was decent- was it the best I've ever had at an AI resort? Not a chance, but while there were elements that were merely edible, others were fantastic. Some highlights were the Seafood-themed buffet night, the Hawaiian-themed buffet night, butterfly shrimp & salmon at El Canal, moroccan chicken along with the fresh pita/dips at Café Med, and the sushi, soup, and fixed meal at Sushi Samba was a pleasant surprise. Don't waste your time with a "reservation" at Panamai for supper, as all it gets you is a bad self-serve buffet. There was a decent variety at the breakfast buffets and it was nice that Panamai opened earlier to accommodate those with early tee times or tours booked. You did have to be careful to make sure your omelettes got fully cooked, and I just stopped taking anything from the warming trays, as unless they were just replaced, the food was luke-warm at best. They really need to work on this. Great options for lunch too- having 6 restaurants open to choose from was really nice, and none were ever overly busy.

The resort is truly beautiful and immaculately maintained. It is large and there is a lot of walking involved. I never used the shuttles, but would be hesitant to recommend the resort for anyone with mobility issues. The pools are lovely and were all very clean. I made a point to visit each one as they are all different and have different elements- some are activity based, where some are more geared towards relaxation, like the one by Sushi Samba. That being said, you will get people monopolizing the small pool with a queen-sized air mattress playing beer pong, demanding the already loud music be turned up even louder, screaming, cursing, and carrying on. And here I went to the "quiet" pool to get a break from the kids splashing and shrieking. Not so much, but I'd far sooner deal with the children who are only having innocent fun than the "adults" who should know better and should be really embarrassed by their poor behaviour.

Yes, the rooms are dated but they were more than adequate. I liked the art work a lot and thought it really added character to the room. Housekeeping was hit or miss, as the same pink piece of lint on the floor from my pajama bottoms was in the same spot for days. No controls for the A/C in the room so it was either no A/C or walk-in freezer temps. Initially, I was placed in Building 32, which is a nice location, but after a long travel day and just getting to bed at 1130pm, being kept up by the booming bass of the disco until 330am was not fun. The next morning I spoke with staff and requested a move- they were more than accommodating and were incredibly helpful. I really do have to compliment the staff at this resort, and feel the need to defend them as well.

It really bothers me when I hear fellow travelers complaining about the staff not speaking English. Last I checked, you are a visitor in their country and it's not fair to expect someone from a 3rd world country working in the service industry to speak perfect English, particularly when you can't be bothered to exchange a few simple phrases en Espanol. A simple hola, por favor, & gracias goes a long way. Their English may not be perfect, but they are trying. Practice a little patience and see how far it goes.

I highly recommend the Panama Express Train tour as it was a great over-all tour and fab way to see a lot of the country. El Valle/Anton Valley is also very worthwhile, from the Nispera Zoo to the canopy adventure/ziplines. I also did Captain Carl's Jungleland Adventure on my way to the Gamboa Resort which is a truly unique experience. Fantastic day.

The lack of amenities in the rooms, like a safe & fridge you don't have to pay $$ for, face clothes/tissues etc., as well as the inconsistent quality of the food are what prevent the resort from truly being a 4 star property. With the new airport coming in, access will certainly be improved, but I am afraid that the resort may be even noisier and less relaxing in the future because of the proximity.

Certainly, come stay at this resort as it is an excellent value for what you pay, but do yourself a favour and know what you can expect before you come. Expectations are everything. And please don't just stay by the pool drinking- Get out there and experience all that this amazing country has to offer. You won't regret it! :D

Room Tip: Stay away from rooms by the disco if you enjoy your sleep ( & sanity). Building #31 is great. C...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
6  Thank work2travel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Farallon
7.2 km away
1.6 km away
Hostal Acuarela
Hostal Acuarela
#1 of 1 in Farallon

Been to Royal Decameron Golf, Beach Resort & Villas? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK