“An unassuming yet pleasant Peruvian family run restaurant.”

Restaurante Mar de Grau Boquete
Ranked #27 of 126 Restaurants in Boquete
Reviewed 15 March 2018

In the average price range for Panama restaurants that cater to tourists and expats, but good value for Boquete. My wife had a delicious mixed seafood dish with boiled potatoes and I the very tasty stuffed chicken with cognac sauce and a heap of mashed potatoes, both US$14.95 each, plus a side order of mixed vegies we split (perhaps a tiny bit over cooked). I also had a chance for the very first time to try a Peruvian beer.

Reviewed 26 February 2018

Located in downtown Boquete, the restaurant had a varied menu but specialized in fish cooked in Peruvian accented flavors. The staff was friendly, the menu and the our waiter was bilingual, the portions were ample and the service was prompt. The menu was moderately price with most dishes being in the $14-$16 range.

Reviewed 15 February 2018 via mobile

Unfriendly and unprofessional staff. Average food. Nothing note worthy. Don’t recommend it.
Plenty of better options in Boquete, including Peruvian.

Reviewed 10 February 2018 via mobile

I thought the food was very good and the service as well. Mainly a seafood restaurant but I had shrimp filled chicken breast and my wife had beef and both were very good. I would eat here again and recommend it to travelers.

Date of visit: January 2018
Reviewed 5 January 2018

Our experience at this restaurant was pretty disappointing.

First, we arrived at the place during diner rush and were given the option to sit outside on the cold porch or inside in a little room off to the side with only one table. Since it was rainy and cold, we chose to sit inside even though it looked like a storage room with a stroller and some chairs lingering around.

Our server wasn't super friendly but we figured he was a little weeded. He came over, greeted us and took our drink order, half a pitcher of sangria, which arrived in a timely manner. He came back a few minutes later and took our order, after a few minutes he came back to let my husband know they had ran out of the steak he had ordered but he could offer him a different cut instead, the entrana aka skirt steak.

Time went by and we finished the half pitcher of sangria, not because we were pounding them down but because 20 to 30 minutes had gone by, we hadn't received the grilled calamari we wanted to start with nor got checked on at all at this point. I believe they forgot about us in the storage room but I understand that happens, I've been in the restaurant business for the pass 10 years.

My husband got up and asked someone to check on our app which got dropped off about 5 minutes after he checked, literally dropped off. We enjoyed the app and drank water since we had already finished the sangria. Again, nobody checked on us.

A young guy came by to refill our waters and take the dirty dishes meanwhile the entrees were also arriving, so we forgot to ask for a drink then. We received our meals which we enjoyed but unfortunately had to finish our meals with empty glasses because nobody checked on us. We wanted to order another half a pitcher but that didn't happen nor got more water. We decided to just let it go and go somewhere else for a night cap drink.

The bill came and to our surprise the steak my husband got offered was $27+ when the one he ordered was $17+. Perhaps we should've asked or being told the price of the steak but neither happened and we assumed it was going to be the same or similar price to the one we ordered. Nevertheless, the server came to our table and argued with us about the price of the steak and finally offered to give us a discount. He took off $5 of the check, we paid and left very disappointed with the whole experience.

I wouldn't say I don't recommend this place but make sure you get what you pay for since prices are pretty high.

Date of visit: December 2017