“Nice spot to have breakfast”
Review of Cafe Via Espresso

Cafe Via Espresso
Ranked #230 of 724 Restaurants in Astoria
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 30 November 2017 via mobile

While a little overdone, the French toast was delicious nonetheless. Coffee was excellent. I forgot to ask for my chocolate croissant to be warmed up so don't forget!

Reviewed 14 April 2017

I had to bring my cat to the vet, about a block away from Via Espresso. I had a hankering after a salad, and asked the vet folks for a recommendation for lunch. Via Espresso was the recommendation.

When I walked in, I recognized one of the veterinarians walking out with her order. Hmmm. They're not kidding!

I had a long wait until my kitty was ready to be picked up. I ordered the "Veggie Bowl," which had a very generous helping of warm brown rice and quinoa--definitely enough for 1.5 people, a veggie burger on top, kale, peppers, mushrooms, and carrots. I asked for the dressing -- raspberry vinaigrette, on the side, and am so glad I did.

The savory flavors of the mushrooms, kale and veggie burger were just what the doctor ordered. I was sad because my pet was sick, and this dish was comforting, like home-cooked comfort food. The kale was chopped small enough that you didn't have to cut it in order to eat it. The carrots where chopped into 1.5" x 1/8" rectangles and added a lightness to the mushrooms and quinoa and brown rice. There was no need for the dressing. It was savory, filling and delicious.

I felt very lucky to have come upon it, and will definitely stop again when I have to take my pet to the vet.

Reviewed 20 June 2016

I had a cappuccino and a napoleon which was absolutely scrumptious. The staff gave me a smile and was very welcoming. It is a tiny cafe with a pleasant outside dining area which I thoroughly enjoyed.

Reviewed 2 January 2013

Okay. So I am not one to leave terrible reviews but this place really ticked me off.

I order from Cafe Via almost every week. I give this place a lot of business and they are usually very good.

However, this morning, my boyfriend and I were quite sick and wanted some good ol' chicken noodle soup to help take away the sick.

Upon arrival, my soup was spilt all over and had been leaking since god knows when. The delivery guy leaked the soup all over my apartment building and since I brought it into my apartment, all over my floor. The last thing a sick person wants to do is clean the floor. Especially, throughout my whole apartment building. I call the restaurant where the MANAGER/OWNER begins to accuse me of not being truthful and asks me to send back the old soup that I had already cleaned up and thrown in the garbage as it was all over my floor. I asked for him to send some free soup for the inconvenience and this guy would have nothing of that. It was a bowl of soup, not a filet mignon. THEN he has the AUDACITY to ask me to email him a picture of the soup. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! Its SOUP! Do you want me to go into the alley garbage to grab the bag I already cleaned up since your delivery person was irresponsible to bring soup to me safely? I ordered this on Seamless, who was of little help as well.

Safe to say, I will NEVER be ordering from this place again and I hope that people read this review before giving their business to a restaurant who obviously does not know how to treat customers. I don't know what everyone is going around saying the owner is friendly, he is most certainly not, in fact quite rude. Btw, food orders do come mixed up, toasted bagels when you clearly didn't ask for it, or everything bagels when you asked for plain. Again, I am not one to complain about petty things, but making a person with a 102 fever clean hallways and dumpster diving for photos of soup is over the edge for me.

2  Thank Krys T
Reviewed 28 June 2012

There are probably a million of these little coffee shops in New York. While it may be easy to identify the problems when they aren't any good, it's sometimes harder to put a finger on what makes the good ones work. But let's be clear - this one does.

Two of us went for breakfast on a recent weekday morning. It was hardly a comprehensive tour of the menu; we both had the challah French toast (and that's the only reason I didn't give it the full five-star treatment). We were served fresh, thick slabs with a perfect, custardy interior. The coffee was good, and was refreshed cheerfully and often; the waiter also volunteered more hot water for the cup of herbal tea.

The place was clean, the prices were low, and the service was especially noteworthy - pleasant, helpful, efficient. Yep - it definitely works.