All reviews rita hayworth charming hotel in a great location terrace suite medina walls strong wifi staff were lovely and helpful back alley direct access thoroughly enjoyed our stay bus station three nights rooms are lovely mint tea top floor hot water moroccan style yogurt
Reviewed 3 April 2018 via mobile

I stayed three nights in Rita Hayworth’s rooftop terrace at Palazzo Desdemona in Essaouira for three nights but could have easily stayed a week. The view was spectacular. Clean, hot water and fresh linens and strong Wi-Fi added to my pleasure. Breakfasts were fresh and the staff was welcoming and helpful.
The architecture of this building added to the experience and all the walls were decorated with the art of contemporary Moroccan artists. There were a lot of stairs to the terrace but it was well worth it. I hope to return!

Date of stay: April 2018
Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 February 2018 via mobile

Very central, comfortable room, interesting architecturally,
pleasant staff, however......when we arrived lovely, quite bustling restaurant/ sitting area with a bar and large fireplace aglow with burning logs utterly charming then the second day it was all deserted. No restaurant, no bar, no fire lit, no atmosphere, no people....
We pointed out that they were no longer an hotel but a simple B&B I was assured that they were, just one that didn’t have a restaurant, bar, staff, except receptionist and cleaners and a cook for breakfast.

Date of stay: January 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mobile697771
Reviewed 7 January 2018 via mobile

This was my second visit this year to this hotel. I have read previous reviews so I struggle to write this, as I was quite disappointed as a certain event that has tainted my view of this hotel. Prices here aren’t cheap I’ve stayed in hostels and decent hotels so I do expect a different level of service dependant on what I pay. After an early start travelling from Marrakech we turned up at the Palazzo around 1pm. We were checked in and went to our room which was nice, the host brought us a heater as he said it may get chilly later. We had an hours sleep and woke a bit chilly so I popped on the heater which didn’t work so I went down to reception to change the heater but they didn’t have another one, and ask for some mint tea. Now here is where I am fed up the man behind the bar asked a lady who was ironing in the restaurant who said in French no the kitchen is closed the man then looked at me and said I would make you one but she has told me no! I said but I’m a resident and the lady ironing said no we are preparing for new year dinner this evening. Well I wasn’t having the new year dinner ( would have been nice to have been advised that a special evening was being planned as we may have booked) however then another lady sitting at a table with a towel on her head, reading a magazine and smoking said we are not making tea! Ask mustafa he will make it! How rude mustafa kindly made us a mint tea and was very helpful. I really did feel unwelcome and that it was inconvenient that we were there.

Please note despite hotel saying there is heating there isn’t but we ended up reasonably warm although my daughter was chilly so ended up sleeping with me for the time we were there. And there are very limited toiletries despite again saying there are. A small soap and some hand wash on the basin.

Breakfast is ok lacking in variety but nice.

Location is fab and we had a lovely break but I will look at staying elsewhere when I return as didn’t feel that welcome. Thanks though to mustafa and another gentleman hosting they were great.

Date of stay: January 2018
Trip type: Travelled with family
3  Thank LGCGirl
Reviewed 15 December 2017

Stayed with a group of 7 including 3 children for 4 nights and absolutely loved the place. So much charm and authenticity. We had a family suite overlooking the back alley which was quiet and nice. If you are traveling with the better half than you can not go wrong with the roof top rooms overlooking the town. That's where I am staying next time.

Date of stay: October 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 12 December 2017

The Descemons is very clean, centrally located, helpful staff and ideal for a break in Essouria, it's a very short walk to the medina and port and beach, cafes and restaurants close and reasonable, Very good value and would recommend.

Date of stay: December 2017