“By far the best restaurant we ate at in Morocco”
Review of La Table by Madada

La Table by Madada
Ranked #18 of 298 Restaurants in Essaouira
Price range: US$ 29 - US$ 46
Cuisines: Moroccan, Gastropub
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Restored carefully with respect for tradition and heritage, la 'Table Madada' is a former warehouse where the Jewish traders, "the 'kings traders", stored carob. This fruit of the carob tree, a tree in the legume family which grows in the region of Essaouira, was then exported via the port towards Europe. The seeds of the carob have a strangely regular weight, which gave the name to the unit of measure 'carat'. Its seeds but also the sap of carob tree, is nowadays used in the form of a stabilizer found in sweets and ice cream. Originally a sub-Saharan slave at the service of privileged families, the dada in time became a cook, nanny and confidante. Loved and feared at the same time, she represented the guard of the home and passed on her traditional cuisine. Some of these dadas became famous for having a particular dish.
Reviewed 6 April 2018

This is a beautiful restaurant, tastefully decorated and lit. The service is professional and gracious. We loved our meal, While eavesdropping on the Belgians sitting at the table beside us I realized that they were discerning as we tend to be. They commented on every bite full, defining the subtleties of the ingredients. This is fine dining. Expect soft music, good timing between dishes. The whole experience was enjoyable. I highly recommend this place if you love fine dining.

la-Table-Madada, Propriétaire at La Table by Madada, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2018

We love tro read that your evening experience was delightful and that atmosphere, service and food was what you expected.
Thank for Your nice feedback.

Reviewed 3 April 2018 via mobile

An experience close to fine dining.
Staff are very attentive; food is well ahead of standard in Essaouira; pricing is fair.

la-Table-Madada, Propriétaire at La Table by Madada, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2018

Thank you for your review. Yes we are at the entrance of the Médina second street on the left when entering by BAB SBAA.
We share your review with MADADA team and hope to welcome you back.

Reviewed 3 April 2018

My husband and I dined here last month during our stay in Essaouira and have to say it was the highlight of our trip!
The restaurant is really well designed, the service was welcoming and friendly and the food was fab!
Would highly recommend reserving a table here if you are staying in Essaouira - you won't regret it!

Thank you very much for highly recommended us and we are very happy to read that food and atmosphere were fab!

Reviewed 30 March 2018

Don't understand the fuss for this place, was underwhelmed to say the least. If you're going to do food theatre, at least cook the food properly! I wanted steak, let myself be talked into having rib steak instead and wish I hadn't. Cooked at my table - the meat was incredibly poor quality, extremely fatty (I was a butcher's lad for 3 years), and this was compounded by not doing it as I wanted it, well done - it was raw in places, and much of it was so fatty as to be inedible!

They make great play on their website of their fabulous 26 year old chef - the guy who cooked mine was nice enough but double this and his English was worse than Officer Crabtree on Allo Allo (I'm sure he said "Good Moaning" at one point). Very expensive for what it is too, and don't get the whole ambiance thing either - it's a cavernous former warehouse, so what? It's not intimate, fun, certainly not romantic, and got the distinct impression of a pro-French bias (sadly very common in both Marrakech and Essaouira).

1  Thank ShotsGeoff
MadadaMogador, Propriétaire at La Table by Madada, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2018

Sorry...... no answer instead to your so special review ! Happy to know that you were a famous butcher :-)

Reviewed 24 March 2018 via mobile

Good seafood. Wife had cross words/ row with me finding the place but that was clearly my fault as Vodaphone kept sending me around in a loop ! But she calmed down soon with dinner.

It’s a busy place so you need to book in advance.

Service attentive and quality of fish superb.

My shellfish platter starter I’m drooling over thinking about it now.

Essasouria is a great short break place for fish lovers and La Table is a good high end choice for a special meal.

Btw. Good double Grand Marnier on ice at Bar in restaurant afterwards so I could “navigate” my way back to Riad! Lol

Enjoy La Table. Value for money at this top end

MadadaMogador, Propriétaire at La Table by Madada, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2018

Thank you Steve for your nice and funny review! When entering by Bab Sbaa the main entrance, La Table Madada is located on the second street on your left!
We are happy to read and share that your evening was a perfect experience and coktails were good enough to find your Riad on your way back.