This was our 10th visit to Mauritius over a span of 32 years and we loved it, as always. We have stayed at various hotels over that period: at first at the then Meridian Brabant and Paradis at Le Morne, then Belle Mare Plage on the eastern side (not recommended in Winter, as extremely windy and not ideal for water sports), twice at Club Med Cannonier and four years ago at the Beachcomber Shandrani and this year decided on something new and chose the Beachcomber Le Victoria for our 10 day holiday. As with most resort hotels on Mauritius and Beachcomber hotels in particular, the grounds were very beautiful and immaculate, and the central pool area here absolutely wow! We had chosen a 1st floor room, after reading various Trip Adviser reviews and this is definitely the best choice if you want privacy and like to sleep with your balcony door open at night. When we booked, three months ago, we had requested a room in a particular area to be close to the central area as well as facing north, so as not to have the noise from the bar and evening entertainment. This request didn’t seem to have reached them (although we know that our travel agent had put in the request) and we were given a room on the first wing, facing the dining room and thus hearing the band as if it was on our balcony until midnight. It was not possible to change immediately unless we wanted a room very far from the restaurant, but the next morning the staff was very helpful and managed to change our room to exactly the position we had requested in the first place.
The rooms are huge and tastefully furnished, with the bathroom beautifully appointed, with a lovely big walk-in shower with rain shower head. The toilet is separate and here they saved a bit too much on space!
The food at the main buffet restaurant, Le Superbe, was good – a large variety, with definitely something to satisfy all tastes, and well presented. Lunches were a little less imaginative and slightly uninteresting. This was probably due to the fact that those guests not on the all inclusive option were not taking lunch and the dining room was therefore not as full as at breakfast and dinner time. The all inclusive option is definitely worth the extra charge, as the cost of drinks and lunch was exorbitant. We found the options on the all inclusive menus at the bar, as well as the daily menus at the other two restaurants, absolutely sufficient.
The beach is pretty, with ample loungers and good service. The main beach has soft white sand, but it is, as had been advised, a good idea to wear some sort of rubber shoes to go into the water, as the sand there is very corally. The sea water at this time of year was around 25°C and the water in the pool only around 22°C. The weather was mixed, with some cloud every day, some days a little windy and some days light rain, but generally warm enough to spend the days in bathers and shorts. The snorkeling in that area is not very exciting, although slightly better when the boat took us outside the reef on a calm day.
We thought that the daily sports and entertainment program was a little lacking, and this was probably due to the fact that the hotel was due to close soon for a short while for renovations to the pool and decking and also, being the Mauritian Winter time, but nevertheless the staff in the restaurants, bar, pool and beach area were very attentive and the service good.
We can recommend the Le Vic generally but, if you want fantastic food and snorkeling, we would recommend the Shandrani and if you want lots of fun and full-on organised entertainment and sports for kids as well as adults, we would recommend Club Med!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A spacious beachside resort in Mauritius Located due west on the coast of Mauritius, Le Victoria is conveniently situated between the tourist hub of Grand Baie and Port Louis, the capital city. Facing the splendid sunsets, Le Victoria is one of the most popular family resorts in Mauritius. Renowned for its spacious sea-facing rooms, a laid-back atmosphere and a wide range of activities for both children and teenagers, the hotel encompasses a lifestyle to appeal to all ages. For your ultimate peace of mind, purchase the hotel's optional "Beachcomber All-Inclusive Package" which covers all meals and drinks as well as added-value items throughout your holiday in Mauritius. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Prestigia, Ctrip TA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Victoria Beachcomber Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Le Victoria
- Le Victoria Mauritius
- Le Victoria Pointe Aux Piments
- Victoria Beachcomber Resort & Spa Mauritius/Pointe Aux Piments