Over the years I have been fortunate enough to visit Mauritius many times and I have stayed at more than 10 hotels on the west coast (I am a fan of sunsets). I have a pretty good idea of what is on offer in this regard and so it is by no accident that my wife and I return to Le Victoria for our annual sunshine getaway. We were married at Le Vic and we have visited around 7/8 times or so in total.
Our friends say that we are boring and lacking in imagination. If something works, why change it? And, Victoria works for us. I have written reviews previously and I can only endorse what I have said before. I like the consistency of Victoria. Each year it is the same or better if that is possible. I attribute this to the arrival of manager Lothar Gross around 2008 from when there was a marked improvement at Victoria. Lothar is a hands-on, no nonsense perfectionist and he has assembled a management team around him that is competent and enthusiastic about their job and their hotel.
Victoria is an island beach hotel resort and yes, things can go wrong but to my mind I look to see how they are fixed. Chatting to other guests and in my experience, nothing is too much trouble for the staff. They pride themselves on you having a great holiday. A good measure of a resort’s success is to see how much repeat business they get. I understand that Le Vic averages around 6 repeat guests every month. That, in my view, says it all. Why go back if it was not so enjoyable?
Here are a few pointers for you. If you can, take some extra cash and arrange a lover’s romantic dinner on the beach under the stars. You will have your own personal butler and will take with you a memory that will last a long time. Do your self a favour and have dinner at La Casa and Le Horizon speciality restaurants. The settings are magical and the service outstanding.
The taxi industry is becoming a little too organised and their prices are rather high making getting around pretty expensive. Avoid arranging anything through the hotel staff and the “pimp” at the hotel gates. Just say where you want to go and get to talk to the taxi driver directly. If you think that the price is too high, get out and find someone else.
At Le Vic, the nightly entertainment may not be everyone’s cup of tea. Entertainment is of course subjective. There is something on every night but if you want to dance the night away, you may be disappointed. The band and the DJ perhaps lack the ability to gauge the audience and so they sometimes get it wrong in their choice of music. The DJ is younger than the average guest and so he tends to favour music suited to a 7 am gym session! But, you will have fun on most nights.
The under school going kids are still a problem but this is squarely an issue with the parents leaving the hotel powerless. Where ever possible the staff will accommodate guests by seating them away from the brats.
We left Le Victoria last year saying that we had just had our best holiday ever. We did not think it possible that 2012 could be better but it was. Of course everything is getting expensive these days but we look for value for money. In my view, Le Victoria offers just that. Well done Lothar and your excellent team. Your Traveller’s Choice Award is justly deserved. The biggest compliment that I can give you is to say that we will be back in 2013 if not before.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A spacious beachside resort in Mauritius Located due west on the coast of Mauritius, Le Victoria is conveniently situated between the tourist hub of Grand Baie and Port Louis, the capital city. Facing the splendid sunsets, Le Victoria is one of the most popular family resorts in Mauritius. Renowned for its spacious sea-facing rooms, a laid-back atmosphere and a wide range of activities for both children and teenagers, the hotel encompasses a lifestyle to appeal to all ages. For your ultimate peace of mind, purchase the hotel's optional "Beachcomber All-Inclusive Package" which covers all meals and drinks as well as added-value items throughout your holiday in Mauritius. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Agoda, Prestigia and Expedia so you can book your Victoria Beachcomber Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Le Victoria
- Le Victoria Mauritius
- Le Victoria Pointe Aux Piments
- Victoria Beachcomber Resort & Spa Mauritius/Pointe Aux Piments