“in the evening - a gourmet restaurant !”
Review of Les Coquillages

Les Coquillages
Ranked #28 of 73 Restaurants in Flic En Flac
Description: Vivez une expérience gastronomique unique. Savour a unique Gourmet experience. Lose your shoes, sink your feet into the sands and explore the tempting menu. Les Coquillages is the ideal place to lay back, chill to the music and sip the night away with a selection of exotic cocktails while enjoying the sunset!
Reviewed 24 January 2016

In the daytime it is a regular beach restaurant, although for Mauritius - probably it is the best beach restaurant. Dine here - great fun! The kitchen is very high quality, an excellent selection of wines, professional staff!

1  Thank Sergey R
HiltonMauritius, Ecommerce at Les Coquillages, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2016

Dear Sergey R,

Thank you for your message. We are glad that you enjoyed both the day menu and night menu at Les Coquillages. Indeed the whole atmosphere changes as the sun sets.

Hoping to welcome you back soon,

Kind regards,
Hilton Mauritius.

Reviewed 10 January 2016

We ate three times at Les Coquillages during our recent eight night stay at the Hilton.

If the weather is kind, the beach front setting is beautiful with the flame bowls adding to the ambiance. You are also well positioned to enjoy the music from the live bands.

Our debut visit on our first night was kindly arranged ahead of our arrival by Priya in guest services- buffets are not our thing!

We were very impressed by the delicious seafood and lobster festive dinner which was beautifully presented and we thought well worth the supplement although we noticed other guests wandering out when they realized that the regular menu was not on offer- unfortunately the Hilton Mauritius is not big on guest information! However we were less impressed with the wine list as we quickly noted that very mediocre wines, that we would not touch at home, were being offered at highly inflated prices. We really don't balk at paying the 'five star resort' premium, but we were actually quite shocked at the mark-ups applied here. However we were certainly not going to spoil our lobster beautiful dinner by stinting so we settled on a bottle that was not too ridiculous.

On our second visit the weather had changed and the restaurant had de-camped to the interior room at Thai Ginger which was a good alternative to cancelling reservations.

This time we tried the half board inclusive selections of spiced prawn salad followed by the tuna tornadoes - the tuna was particularly good as were the desserts.

Our third visit was to celebrate my husband's birthday and unfortunately was the least successful.

By this time we had discovered that you could source your own good quality wine and pay corkage which I am sure is less appreciated although funnily enough the sommelier could not have been more charming about it. However
I fear the head waiter may have been distracted by our change of tactic as he took down my husband's food order incorrectly and bought him fish instead of steak for his main. This did not go down well especially when it was plainly inferred that my husband had erred! After a short sharp discussion everything was fixed up toute suite with our chicken fillets being whisked away whilst the chef produced the perfect steak in record time. Our chicken had either been re-done or had been carefully tended to as everything was in great shape when we tucked in. Then it came to desserts and I was getting a bit nervous at this point as I had pre-arranged a birthday cake and despite mentioning this to a waiter when we arrived, there was still no sign of it. However a few raised eyebrows to the head waiter alerted him to quickly investigate and voila a lovely light chocolate and vanilla dessert with sparklers and sparkling wine appeared as if by magic and was the perfect conclusion to the birthday celebration.

Overall we liked Les Coquillages and found the food to be tasty and attractively presented. Service had a tendency to be inconsistent and we were somewhat alarmed that an inexperienced waitress was sent to open an expensive bottle of wine which subsequently had to be decanted by the lovely sommelier. We felt sorry for the poor novice as it was not her fault, but unfortunately another example of lack of training which seems to be a bit of an issue at the resort.

Reviewed 28 December 2015

An average meal for two easily runs to 120 Euro (when counting in the cost of paying the half-board upgrade of 35 Euro per person plus additional supplements at the restaurant). At such a cost one might expect a decent meal, good wine, etc.

-- Breads - were ok, but not really great and some are hard as a rock. Lacking salt.
-- Starter - the spiced prawns were absolutely tasteless and are served cold, which should be clearly stated in the menu. Seasonings, etc did nothing to add to the dish.
-- Main course chicken with eggplant: The eggplant was well cooked and the first bite highlighted some excellent spices. But this did not fit well to the sauce of the meat. One piece of chicken was juicy and soft. The other was hard and chewy.
- Took the pistachio desert. 6 of us at the table tasted it, and yet 2/3rds of this very small desert was still on the plate. A testament to how disgusting it was that six people truly couldn't bear it. Tasted some other deserts which had some redeeming qualities, but nothing great.

Overall, flavours were not great, or even good. This is about what a very mid-range restaurant in Europe might service for 30 Euros for two.

Very disappointing for what is promoted as a fine-dining French restaurant run by a French chef.

Heard from others
- the tuna torpedo main course is excellent
- the steak was above average, but not spectacular.

1  Thank S A
Reviewed 1 December 2015

very nice service quick and professional good and tasty food especially the fritters.drinks and cocktails also nice

Reviewed 19 November 2015 via mobile

I went there in November with my wife while on honeymoon. I had a reservation for 20:30 but I had to wait for 20 minutes for my table. I asked the waiter if the food is halaal and what food can I get on my half board package and he just looked at me and went away and never returned. I had to go myself to the manager and complain how bad the service was. I would not recommend this place to anyone

1  Thank Ahmed P