My wife and I spent two weeks at the Sands in March 2012. It was our second stay at this hotel forming the southern end of the quite large series of hotels located at Flic en Flac. Its immediate neighbour is the luxurious Maradiva (which has, by the way, the same owner). The Sands has a most beautiful position across Tamarine bay with mount Tamarine immediately before your eyes and the Morne mountain greeting a little bit farther from the south.
The rooms are spacious. On the one side of the entrance you will find the bath with bathtub, two wash-basins, separate shower and separate WC; and, above all, a roomy walk in closet. When you ask for a sufficient number of coat hooks, you will feel quite comfortable when changing your garments -- all will be at hand. On the other side of the entrance you have a well-equipped living with a large bed and still lots of space before the balcony. Air conditioning is individual, i.e. you may adjust the temperature to your personal needs (20 or even 21 degrees Celsius will do). House- and room-keeping is irreproachable.
Food is OK, if perhaps not always excellent – but this depends on individual taste and preferences.
There is quite one major problem. Providing a Wifi connection can be seen as standard in better hotels nowadays. In most of them it is even complimentary (there may be exceptions in Switzerland or France). Now, in principle, the Sands offers such a complimentary Wifi service in your room and even at the beach. The only problem is that frequently it is down, be it on behalf of too many users logged in, be it because the server itself is down. Be that as it may, more often than not you have to go to the reception asking for the server to be restarted -- which seems to require the presence of an ‘IT manager’. This can be an annoying experience.
Snorkelling possibilities are quite well as soon as you leave the swimming area sheltered by rocks arranged in a half circle facing the beach, heading about 100 m for the left shoulder of mount Tamarine. There are three small buoys visible, the best region being the space between the first and the second to the left. During high tide you can swim there on the crest of the barrier. There we never got bothered by currents, even swimming without fins. For snorkelling you may also use the service of the boat-house which brings you twice a day to another place on the other side of the barrier.
Boats and kayaks are OK. We observed a quite attentive and very busy rescue service, e.g., for surfboarders.
Dancing is possible every night starting from about 8.30 p.m. The quality of the bands is quite different, though. Some play only music of a soporific kind permitting you nothing but a monotonous blues. Most of the others play their songs way too quick, the typical rhythm of their keyboard machinery being 60 bars per minute. (A 45 bars Jive over three minutes can be considered as competitive sport.) There will be only few people venturing onto the floor, though, more than two pairs of dancers being rather seldom. So in case you dance, you mostly will have the floor for yourself. And it will tend to be a physical challenge for you and your partner, anyway.
The Sands is recommendable and fully worth the money you spend.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sands Suites Resort & Spa is a 4 star deluxe all Suite hotel situated in Wolmar, on the west coast of Mauritius. With its 92 spacious suites, 3 restaurants, spa, entertainment facilities, fine sandy beach, crystal clear lagoon and unrivalled view across the Bay of Tamarin and Le Morne, this resort is the ideal hideaway for those looking for serenity, comfort and personalised service in an elegant setting and typical Mauritian architecture. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Agoda, HotelQuickly, Expedia, Ctrip TA, Prestigia and TripOnline SA so you can book your Sands Suites Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Sands Hotel Flic En Flac
- Sands Hotel Flic En Flac
- Sands Resort Mauritius
- Sands Suites Resort & Spa Mauritius/Flic En Flac