“Convenient to airport”

Ranked #9 of 34 Hotels in Kuala Terengganu
winchester
“Convenient to airport”
Reviewed 14 August 2012

We stayed just one night as the hotel close to the airport for the early flight to KL. The hotel is quite strange really with an enornmous central building that looks a bit like an airship hangar but then with lots of two story villas (4 rooms in each) dotted around the garden. The rooms have plenty of room and are comfortable. The swimming pool is pleassnt but lacks shade. The restaurant is OK.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Arabic first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 25 July 2012

Visiting Trengganu, one usually don't come with the same expectations as one would when one visit bigger major cities. To our pleasant surprise as we checked into Ri-Yaz Heritage resort, we realise we found a treasure! The resort rooms are in a block of 4, with 2 upstairs and 2 downstairs. We took a room downstairs so that we don't have to carry bags up. The room was spacious with beds that were equipped with soft duvets. Plenty of space for bags and clothes. There are bathrobes, slippers, ironing facilities and umbrella provided in the wardrobe. The bathroom had a large standing shower room, 2 sinks, a bathtub. What I really liked was the large balcony with 2 wooden cushioned beachchairs and separated by wooden lourver doors and a glass sliding door that comes with every room. Wood is used liberally as timber is abundant here. The swimming pool was wood decked. The compound is large but beautifully green and faces a river. You can call for a buggy to bring you around or walk off the scrupulous breakfast from the Verandah cafe about 3 mins from the rooms. Ri-Yaz hosts the annual Monsoon Cup, a sailing event in December as it's situated next to a marina (great view from cafe). Service is not the best but acceptable .

• Stayed July 2012
2 Thank m00lah
Kuala Lumpur, Wilayah Persekutuan, Malaysia
Reviewed 24 July 2012

The resort is located in a scenic and tranquil area, by the banks of the Kuala Terengganu estuary on Pulau Duyong. In Kuala Terengganu, Ri-Yaz is about as high-end as you can get with beautiful and historic location, and I feel the spacious resort is a good choice for families with young children. However, my experience was marred by the room that I got (maybe it was my unlucky day!)

There were a few things I liked:

Scenic: The views, especially as you sit at the breakfast patio overlooking the river and the sea beyond, are beautiful. In fact, the whole resort area looks well tended and lovely.

Family friendly: The lobby area has a selection of adult and children DVDs which you can rent to watch in your room. They also have movie nights, lots of board games for rental. Rooms and the resort gardens are spacious too.

Food: Good selection of local cuisine at the breakfast buffet, so tourists will get a chance to sample Terengganu food but not that great in taste. There's also cereal, eggs and toast. Drive a little bit away and there are local stalls/streetside vendors selling authentic local food -- it's where the locals congregate to have their morning breakfast and simple kuih.

Location: Pulau Duyong itself, where the resort is located, is a historic kampung area. About 5-minute's walk from the guard post (entrance), across a small field, is the Kota Lama Duying (fort) which is open to public from 9am. An architectural beauty with lots of impressive Terengganu woodwork detailing and even elements of Greek Corinthian design (in the columns). A great tourist attraction which not many know about.

Another attraction: The nearby kampung is also famous for traditional boatbuilding. Just ask directions to Awi's place -- he's the elderly man who still does huge wooden boats in the traditional method. Most of his customers are Europeans! Just take a visit to his workshop to see a work-in-progress.

Ok, and now what I found lacking:

My room: For a high-end resort, I was expecting better rooms. I got the feeling that Ri Yaz was trying to be "luxury" but didn't quite get there. The rooms are just ok, the usual wood panelling, air con, tv, bathrobes, etc. but for a relatively new resort, the toilet/bathroom facility was really worn -- toilet seat was scratchy, hot shower wasn't working properly, towels were old and thin and not plush anymore.

Hospitality: After traveling around Terengganu and experiencing the warm welcome everywhere, Ri Yaz fell short in that department. It's just another faceless resort lacking the Terengganu warmth and spirit.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank EnaRamli
Kuala Lumpur, Wilayah Persekutuan, Malaysia
Reviewed 17 July 2012

I stayed here with my family and took 7 rooms (2 chalets). Check in was not pleasant as we were only given 5 rooms at 3pm. I called for our remaining 2 rooms via the room by pressings '0' and was answered the first time and was promised a call back once the operator checked with the housekeeping staff if our remaining rooms were ready. I waited and called back 30 minutes later but the operator was not picking up the phone! I called every 5 minutes and no one answered my phone. I gave up and tried calling the hotel number using my mobile phone but it also remained unanswered! What if I had an emergency?!?! I got fed up and walked towards the rooms supposedly being prepared for us and saw no housekeeping staff or their cart at all outside. Luckily a staff came by in his motorbike and I demanded to see the Manager. He called for her (I think her name was Dianna or something like that) and she REFUSED to come meet me or even answer why my room was taking so long to prepare. The staff named Yusoff asked what number I called to enquire for the room and when I said I pressed '0' for the operator, he then asked me why I did not press '1' as well?!! Seriously. Do they think it's my 1st time in a hotel. It's certainly my 1st time in such a poorly managed hotel.
Granted some of the staff is friendly but if the service sucks, it does not matter! The resort itself is old and breaking apart. In each of the 7 rooms we had, something did not work. The toilet seats look like they were scrubbed to death for the past 10 years and in my room, the water heater and fridge was not working. In others, lights were not functioning, air con was sub standard and the amenities were pathetic for a 'MONSOON CUP' destination hotel.
For first timers to Terengganu, forget the Pasar Payang or whatever as the place is hot and seriously dirty as well. So what if they have cheaper Batik there. I will pay anytime to shop in a proper and clean place in KL anytime. The Chinatown food is also expensive and nothing fantastic. Yes, the famous 'keropok lekor' is nice there but hardly something I will miss if I don't eat it. The toilet seat at the airport toilet in Terengganu is much cleaner too!

Room Tip: Find another hotel.