All reviews india street shopping mall carpenter street merdeka plaza old court house pool closes textile museum sewage smell local souvenirs infinity pool assembly building sarawak river main bazaar kuching city soft pillows nasi lemak necessary amenities
Reviewed 6 October 2018 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel in early October 2018. The biggest problem is that the front desk staff appear to believe they are running a jail instead of a hotel. From the unsmiling grilling about my booking to the aggressive demands for my passport, as I was scrambling to retrieve it from my bag, I really thought I had made a mistake choosing this place. These tudung clad women are the storm troopers of the check-in, and they left me feeling unwelcome and simply a unwanted interruption to whatever they were doing before I turned up.

At first I was told that there was no booking for me, and it appeared that as far as she was concerned that was that, and I could be on my way. When I told her that my secretary had made the booking, and started looking for the email my phone she barked at me “Give me the confirmation number”, and looked at me with venom in her eyes. The words, ‘please’ and ‘thank you’ are clearly unknown in these parts. While I was scrolling on my phone, the reservation was magically found.

But then she announced triumphantly that, because my company hadn’t forwarded a letter, despite the existence of a booking, I could not check in. In the midst of this the staff decided that another customer was of more importance to me and went on to rudely ignore me and to serve them - equally curtly I might add. It took a call to my secretary and 30 minutes of waiting until the required letter (which my secretary had sent two days earlier) was eventually found. Was there even one word of apology? No.

It was as if these staff were guarding a secure facility rather than welcoming paying guests who could decide whether to return to the hotel during future visits or not.

After securing the key card, and carrying my own bag to the room, I then ordered room service. After waiting one hour it had still not arrived. Then came a phone call. The room service food could not be prepared because I had zero balance on my account. I went downstairs to sort the zero balance issue out. But before I could offer to deposit some money simply to be fed,I was met with an angry staff member who demanded, yes demanded, that I return to my room and wait. At that point I decided that the prospect of waiting even longer for food was not worth it (it was 9.30pm by then) ad so I went to a nearby restaurant and had a meal that came within 15 minutes of my order.

My observation is that the Philippine staff hired by the hotel are professional and friendly, But the predominantly Malay staff seem to believe that they are in a positive of authority over the guests. They appear to believe that they have to police the guests, rather than serve them.

As a frequent visitor to Kuching I will not stay here again (there are many fine alternatives available) and with the pervasively bad staff attitude, I cannot recommend the hotel to others.

Stayed: October 2018, travelled on business
1  Thank Graeme M
The_Waterfront_Hotel, Public Relations Manager at The Waterfront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 weeks ago

Dear Graeme M,

Thank you very much for your visit to The Waterfront Hotel and for having taken the time to share about your experience with us.

We understand that it must be frustrating for you during your check-in and we are sorry for the inconvenience the confusion caused. We believe that our Front Desk colleagues strive to deliver their best when serving each and every guest, however, upon receiving your feedback on your experience, we immediately spoke to the respective departments and your valuable feedback is being acted upon and followed up accordingly to ensure it never reoccurs.

Through constructive feedback of this nature, we are able to isolate the finer details in customer and guest satisfaction which allows us to focus our attention on constantly delivering service that exceeds our guest expectations.

We hope despite your experience during this occasion you will afford us the opportunity to serve you once again in the near future.

Reviewed 3 October 2018 via mobile

Waterfront hotel located at kuching and strategy of the hotel to nearby place have a lot of interesting place.beside of hotel have one shopping mall and you may go to the mall by passing hotel tunnel to the mall. Room very clean and tidy.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled with friends
The_Waterfront_Hotel, Public Relations Manager at The Waterfront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 October 2018

Dear HiengNgieE,

Thank you very much for your recent visit to The Waterfront Hotel and for having taken the time to share about your experience with us.

We are more than pleased to hear of your great stay with us. At the same time, we are glad that you enjoyed the convenient location. We truly appreciate your kind post and compliments! We are all humbled by your praise which helps to motivate us in giving our best on a daily basis.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Waterfront Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 25 September 2018

Have been staying at this hotel whenever I visit Kuching which is frequent. Great location and connected to a shopping mall which is super convenient. Supermarkets, pharmacy, shopping and fast food outlets is just next door. Walking distance to Carpenter street should you want to try local cuisine. The rooms are bright and clean. My usual room, the Dun Suite is spacious with an extra sitting area with settee and table. Staff is helpful and buffet breakfast has improved tremendously since my first stay. Ala carte dishes taste good and serving size is above average. Credit to the chef.

Room Tip: Higher floors are quieter.
  • Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
The_Waterfront_Hotel, Public Relations Manager at The Waterfront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 September 2018

Dear Jenny1625,

It is always delightful to welcome you back! We are grateful for your patronage in addition to the very nice compliments extended. We are more than pleased to know that you had a wonderful stay and loved the services gesture extended by our professional team, and found yourself staying comfortably in our Suite room.

We are glad that you enjoyed the convenient location and that the services met your expectations. We do take pride in our location and the convenience it offers to our guests. We truly appreciate your kind post and compliments! We are all humbled by your praise which helps to motivate us in giving our best on a daily basis.

Looking forward to have you back with us again, see you soon!

Reviewed 19 September 2018

This hotel has an ideal location, being very close to the Darul Hana Bridge, and the famous Sarawak Legislature Assembly Building. It is connected to a shopping mall, and is also near many shops and restaurants. Our rooms had a great view of the Sarawak River and the city in general. They were mostly well furnished, and comfortable. Since we were only in Kuching for one day, having this hotel at the heart of this city and near the major attractions, was a major advantage for us. Overall, we were satisfied with our stay at this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2018, travelled with friends
The_Waterfront_Hotel, Public Relations Manager at The Waterfront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2018

Dear Hudsonmccraw,

We are grateful to know that you had a wonderful stay with us. We are more than pleased that our location offers you with the convenience to a few of Kuching’s top tourist spots. We truly appreciate your kind post and compliments! We are all humbled by your praise which helps to motivate us in giving our best on a daily basis.

We hope we can welcome you again very soon at The Waterfront Hotel while visiting Kuching.

Reviewed 17 September 2018 via mobile

Stayed here for 2 night. The room is clean and the bed is comfortable.

Depite next to the famous carpenter street, it is relatively quiet. There is a mall from G floor onward which is convinient. Waterfront is within walking distance.

I recommended this hotel for small family or couples

Stayed: September 2018, travelled on business
The_Waterfront_Hotel, Public Relations Manager at The Waterfront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2018

Dear JaniceTee,