Hilton Kuching(Kuching)
US$ 88
US$ 69
Trip.com
  • Pool
Marco Polo Travellers(Kuching)(Great Value!)
Free cancellation until 25/07
Fata Hotel(Kuching)
US$ 20
US$ 19
TripAdvisor
ThreeHouse Bed & Breakfast(Kuching)(Great Value!)
Orbitz.com
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsowner cyrilinfrared saunaswimming poolother guestsfacilitiesretreataccommodationsupermarket
Reviewed 12 May 2013

Upon arrival at The Secret Sanctuary you instantly feel like you are in a secret oasis, you are surrounded by lots of bamboo, flowing water and greenery.We stayed here for 4 nights in the "honeymoon suite", it was a large room with two double beds, a balcony and an en suite toilet and shower.

The food here is great, and the bar is an honesty bar so you just help yourself as long as you remember to write down what you take on your bill.

Cyril is a very welcoming and accommodating owner, he helped organise taxi's, trips and tours for us.

There is also a forest park about 10 mins walk from The Secret Sanctuary, it's very pleasant to walk around, we saw lots of lizards, dragonflies and monkey's. I think it cost about RM2 each to get into the park.

You should note that this isn't exactly in the centre of Kuching, and will need to get a taxi which costs about RM25 and takes about 10-15 mins.

This place is definitely a hidden gem, we will definitely recommend this place to any friends planning trips to Kuching.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Shona B
Reviewed 24 January 2013

This is a quirky place that is full of character; a definite must for thee traveller who does not like sleek, commercial chains with no soul. You are in the middle of the city but would never know it because of the greenery and natural furnishes...it does have a tropical feel about it. The owners, Cyril and Julia are very welcoming, and it is like you are staying in their home rather than at a hotel. The animals are part of the family, so you need to be ok with a small dog and half a dozen cats wondering at will.

I had a very comfy room with personality. My ensuite shower room had doors that opened about 1m from the edge of the swimming pool (complete with waterfall). In the mornings I went from my bed into the swimming pool without having to stop for clothing...a sign warns that naked bathing is permitted and I felt comfortable doing so. This ensuite arrangement did result in me finding a man in the ensuite one evening ...a man who was visiting the bar and used that toilet...to be happy staying here you should be the type of person who finds this entertaining rather than invasive.

Breakfast table was laid out for us: toast your own bread as needed with a toaster on your table, while scrambled eggs and a fresh fruit platter is served to you along with freshly squeezed fruit juice. You can read the Borneo Post over breakfast.

This is a small business that is clearly run with love as its motivating factor. My friend and I were there only guests staying for the few nights we were there so it was like having our own swimming pool. Members of the public can use the facilites and do use the bar and restaurant. It was nice to eat at a place frequented by local families, and sit at the bar chatting to locals. The food was always freshly cooked and delicious..there were no problems meeting vegetarian requirements. The food was on the pricey side but the room was a very good deal... we could not have got a swimming pool, huge jacuzzi, fish foot spa, sauna and hammocks available any time we wanted anywhere else for the deal we got.

The location is convenient to the airport, and we were picked up free of charge, but you will need to use taxis to get to and from the town centre, which will add if you are going backwards and forwards a lot.

Remember, this is a place for people who like character on their holidays.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 October 2012

A bit of a fantasy really. I love the unknown and this is what I experienced. I was attracted to the visuals of the accommodation and travelers comments and was not disappointed. Cyril and Julia are the perfect hosts, opening up their home with truely open arms. Julia is the sweetest young lady you could ever meet. Julia's thoughtfulness made my stay so pleasurable from the moment I stumbled into their truely remarkable world.
Cyril is a truely remarkable, unique character and will have a drink or two while discussing the mystery's of the world. Also he likes to shout a drink or two, bonus.
My room was amazing, large, clean, safe and I slept soundly. Large shower and toilet area which was a type of ensuite that was remarkable.
No TV so if that is a deal breaker then take your laptop and watch DVD's which is accessible. Internet is really good and free, another bonus.
Food. Let Julia treat you to new experiences, she loves to treat you to local delicacies and will enjoy having tasting plates for you. Most superb, we choose most of the ingredients from the market together on one of our outings.
Cyril and Julia also invited me to accompany me on their Saturday outings and had a wonderful time at the local market and Kutching Town.
This is a unique accommodation highlight in the suburbs of Kutching. NO SNOBS ALLOWED
Meet wonderful locals as well. Hi you

Room Tip: Go with the flow
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank MelbourneChez
Reviewed 1 October 2012

we feeli like in Bali for awhile. they provide fish spa, swimming pool, jakuzi and a very cozy place to dine in. We spent there for few hours for the fish spa. while having the ticklish feeling by the fishes, the owner went to the front desk with his cute lil puppy! I’m not a pet person and really can’t stand either cats, dogs, birds, or what so ever pets… i told the owner that i dont like the dog. and in turn, he replied me by saying “the dog also dont like you”
omg! that’s the last thing i would like to hear from the owner. A simple sorry would do. He just let the puppy walk here and there nearby my friends and i. I was so damn scared and feel so uncomfortable.
It’s a very nice place actually, except the price for the food, is quite EXPENSIVE (e.g. fish n chips at MYR38 and a glass of carrot juice at MYR12).
Other than that, i think the place really need to be maintained properly. Can see some insects and dried leaves in the swimming pool which is kinda dirty. They have the garden & forest concept i guess, but having a huge black BEE flying around you is so SCARY!
I dont think i’m going back there.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank ArdianaM
Boutiquehotel460, Owner at The Secret Sanctuary Boutique Cottage, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2013

Hey my fellow traveler,
Heaven is Right Here, Right Now .
The Secret Sanctuary is not a Hotel or restaurant .
It is Home for everyone. This is a Holistic spa retreat.
WE practice love and bring back trust by doing self service at the bar counter and pay to the olive oil container or write your own tap as honesty is beautiful gift.
Remember the entrance to the Sanctuary is inside you.
I am just a caretaker . The bank own this place until we finish paying them .
I live to give comfort
i live to shine loving light into others
i live to heal
i live to give hope
i live for truth
i live to love .
Love is an endless mystery
for it has nothing else to explain it.
Love 's gift cannot be given,
it waits to be accepted .
Listen to the world with love , communicate with everything
In fact, if we hold love and compassion in our hearts for everything we encounter in Nature, we can interact with all of it, and secrets will be revealed to us . Listen with Heart . We are all here in this world for vacation .
thank you so much .

Reviewed 20 August 2012

This is a very cute guest house type place with a few rooms and welcoming and helpful staff. Nothing fancy, but nice atmosphere. Only complaint is the distance from town and that the cab rides were a bit pricey. Food was good, pool is cute.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family