“excellent service and accommodation” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Century Kuching Hotel

Century Kuching Hotel
Ranked #43 of 55 Hotels in Kuching
Perth, Australia
“excellent service and accommodation”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2012

close to the airport but serveral kms from the city nevertheless a great bus service and cheap taxi fares obviate this. A large shopping complex with appears rather bedraggled from the hotel window on closer inspection provided good shopping and two excellent restaurants. Upgraded at no extra charge to a large suite with every facility you would want backed up by superior service this made for a very great stay. We will be coming back soon.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank beekay70
FourPointsKuching, General Manager at Century Kuching Hotel, responded to this review, 3 May 2012
Hi beekay70,

Thanks for your " excellent service and accommodation" review of Four Points by Sheraton Kuching.

I was happy to read that you enjoyed our stay and that you were able to discover some excellent restaurant across the road. I have also discovered a few "gems" and would he happy to share my list with you on your next trip.

Let me know when you finalize plans for your next visit so we can continue to look after you.

Paolo Campillo
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
  • Indonesian first
Wellington, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2012

My first good impression of this hotel started at the airport when I saw the free shuttle! The service was efficient and friendly. On approaching the hotel bathed in green light, I was suprised how big it was! This is my first visit to Kuching and I had the impression that it was a small "country" town! Far from it, I'm very happy to say!

My room (653) was very spacious and comfortable.

Such great value at 180++ MYR and I'd recommend to all!

Room Tip: Loved my room (653) but it was a fair hike from the lift!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank RayC888
FourPointsKuching, General Manager at Century Kuching Hotel, responded to this review, 18 April 2012
Hi RayC888,

Thanks for your "Very, very Nice" rating of Four Points by Sheraton Kuching!

It was good to read that you like the hotel facade as well as the size of the rooms. I was most happy to read that the staff were efficient and friendly. At Four Points we work hard to get the basics right and it nice to see when we have done so.

Please me know when you plan your next trip to Kuching so that we can continue to look after you.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2012

This hotel is just 5 to 10 minutes away from the airport. It is consider quite far from the city but free shuttle bus is available. They also provide free shuttle bus service to and from the airport. The gym is well equipped, I don't mind to stay here for business trip.

Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank Elainejenz
Hi Trail of Asia,

Thanks for your "Good hotel for a business trip" review of Four Points by Sheraton Kuching.

I was happy to read that you enjoyed your stay and that you like our Fitness Centre.

Let us know when you plan to re-visit Kuching so that we can continue to take care of you.

Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

This is a simple but good hotel, located, just 7 minutes from the airport.

My 6th floor room was spacious and clean. Room lighting and working space are good as well.
Bed was comfortable, but bed sheet was worn with holes in it.

Bathroom was clean, but water stream was not good, and water temperature was not stable.

Room charge of 150++ Ringgit is good price for value, but internet is definitely overpriced, charging 40 Ringgit for a day!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank nomad6022
FourPointsKuching, General Manager at Century Kuching Hotel, responded to this review, 11 April 2012
Hi nomad6022,

Thanks for review of Four Points by Sheraton Kuching!

I was pleased to read that you found our hotel "a simple but good hotel" and that you like the rooms. The Four Points by Sheraton is a select service brand of Starwood and is about delivering uncomplicated service and it looks like we have done so on this occasion.

I have reviewed as well your additional comments and will share this with the team because this will help us improve going forward.

With regard to the internet we offer free wifi access to all guests in public area of the hotel as well as two free to guest terminals at Wrapped deli. As part of aim to offer Great Value to the different needs of our guests we have a variety of packages that have either include internet and or breakfast. I would also point out that our internet access at 10mbps offers the fastest access in Kuching, which as businessman I am sure you would appreciate.

Thanks again for the review and we look foward to seeing you back in Kuching soon.

kuala lumpur
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2012

I have a system to rate hotels. I know I can't and shouldn't compare a 3 star & a 5 star, as it is usually undeniable that a higher starred hotel has better amenities, F & B outlets, better appointments in fixtures & fittings etc, so I'd start off a review with a default rating of whatever star a property happens to be at, in this case Four Points is a 4 star. If I had an average stay, then they get to keep the 4 stars/points.

Undoubtedly a higher starred property has more to lose because expectations are higher!

So I'd compare this Four Points with my experiences in other 4 stars in the region, maybe Novotel in Singapore, or Holiday Inn in Bangkok etc.
+++++++++++
Additional points:
The rate I paid puts it in a "great value" category.

Maintaining points:
Location is a plus or minus depending on your purpose, located far from town but near the airport. In my case I needed to catch a very early flight so it was very convenient, except free shuttles would depart only on the hour and a private hotel car would cost RM 60 one way for a 3~4 min ride! (took a taxi instead).

I think the rooms were lovely, I don't know if I got a better room because I'm a SPG member and got a SPG floor, in any case there were nice touches, the room & bathroom was spacious and decked with all mod-cons. Very comfortable.

The concierge offered and printed out my boarding pass and sent to my room, which was great.

Minus points:
There was no free internet, as even the cabled LAN will be charged, therefore it'll negate the "great value". The quality & variety of the breakfast, even the ergonomics of how food was placed, was not up to par. The lobby and meeting areas did not impress, which at the same time being too big and therefore seem to be too bare and cold in areas. Maintenance people also should do a better job - carpets on room floor corridors have "air pockets", my bathroom faucet seemed too heavy and would slowly close from its own weight; there were badly fitted fixtures(e.g. cabinets) and electrical sockets (mine was totally dislodged), even common areas had unrepaired tiles in the driveway entrance or half-peeled absorbers in the sliding entrance glass door.

Despite a comfortable stay and a nice room, I give it "almost 4 points".

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank Junwatanabe
FourPointsKuching, General Manager at Century Kuching Hotel, responded to this review, 13 April 2012
HI Junwatanabe,

Thanks for your review of Four Points by Sheraton Kuching. I was pleased to read that you found our hotel of Great Value!

I have also read your additional comments and this has been shared with our team leaders. We do take all comments into account and use them as part of our ongoing process of improvement.

With regard to internet we offer free wifi access to all guests in public area of the hotel as well as two free to guest terminals at Wrapped deli. As part of aim to offer "Great Value" we like to consider the different needs of all our guests. As such, we have a variety of packages that have either include internet and or breakfast. I would also point out that our internet access at 10mbps offers the fastest access in Kuching, which as businessman I am sure you would appreciate.

I thank you for your patronage of Four Points by Sheraton Kuching. I trust that with your continued support of Starwood you will soon be on your way to achieve the Platinum Level benefit of "Free Internet" access at all our properties worldwide.

Paolo Campillo