All reviews metro town accor hotels tourist hotel small night market lucy's kitchen nice hotel spent two nights rooms are great bed was very comfortable swimming pool taxi cost hotel is located good size tv channels nice pool buffet breakfast lounge area
Reviewed 21 September 2017

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
AvangioHotelKK, Manager at Avangio Hotel Kota Kinabalu Managed by Accor, responded to this reviewResponded 27 September 2017

Reviewed 17 September 2017

Overall room location is good and clean and the staff helpful and friendly . There is 1 area need to improve especially for the bath facilities such as refill in the shower gel and shampoo. Overall i am satisfied stay in this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
AvangioHotelKK, Manager at Avangio Hotel Kota Kinabalu Managed by Accor, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2017

Dear mengsengk2016,

Warm greetings from Avangio Kota Kinabalu Managed by Accorhotels!

Thank you for your time and effort to put up this review. We have well noted on the feedback to improve on the room amenities replenishment.

Please feel free to contact us should you need further assistance and information.

We look forward to welcoming you back in near future.

Reviewed 8 September 2017

I stayed at Avangio Hotel Kota Kinabalu Managed by Accor for three nights as a tourist. While the hotel is new, rooms were pleasant, and employees were friendly, that’s where the positives end. The overall experience was very disappointing.

I booked this hotel for two main reasons: firstly to benefit from Accor Le Club loyalty benefits and secondly because it was my understanding this hotel had an executive lounge. This assumption was based on the Accor website which is selling rooms with ‘exclusive privilege lounge access’. This was quite deceptive as there was nothing resembling the lounges typical at other hotels (a typical hotel lounge serves breakfast, afternoon tea, snacks, evening cocktails, has dedicated staff, and is private with a variety of seating options). Instead there was a ‘privilege corner’ which consisted of a very small roped off area of the restaurant. The ‘privilege corner’ was poorly implemented and using the space was awkward with minimal service and near non-existent catering. I would recommend the hotel discontinues the ‘privilege corner’ as it creates false expectations which lead to an overall disappointing experience. The hotel also needs to remove mention of ‘exclusive privilege lounge access’ from the Accor website as there is no such thing at this hotel.

The location of the hotel is problematic for tourists as the hotel is not close to any tourist attractions or points of interest. While it appears central on a map, getting around in Kota Kinabalu is problematic because of the horrendous traffic and non-existent public transport. I would advise tourists to stay closer to the bay. Expect a taxi downtown to take 30 minutes plus.

Breakfast was reasonable although it was difficult finding a free table. At breakfast they served urn coffee so I asked for a cappuccino but was told this would cost extra. I mentioned I had ‘privilege corner’ access which was supposed to include hot drinks such as coffee but was told this benefit didn’t apply during breakfast (incidentally I stayed at an Ibis in KL after staying at this hotel and they offered barista made coffee for breakfast at no charge). These are the kind of little details which can be the difference between a really great experience and a really poor experience.

WIFI was average. Connecting to the WIFI network was cumbersome with separate logins required for the room, for the gym, and for the lobby. There was annoying and loud muzak playing in the lobby, restaurant, and gym constantly. The sauna was out of service during our stay.

Le Club loyalty benefits for Platinum members were very average. I’ve already mentioned the lounge. Additionally I was told I was upgraded from a ‘Deluxe Room’ to a ‘Deluxe Room at Executive Floor’. As far as I could ascertain there was no difference between the two room types other than one room was on a higher floor which I don’t consider a true upgrade (particularly as this hotel only has four floors of guest rooms). The ‘Welcome Drink Voucher’ offered was a joke – only fruit punch was offered (no soft drink, alcohol, coffee, etc) which makes it probably the worst welcome drink I’ve been offered in the 100 odd Accor hotels I’ve stayed. The hotel even had the nerve to cross out text on the voucher which referred to the other drinks which should have been available (see picture). Additionally I wasn’t offered the voucher until I checked-out. I would argue if you can’t get something as simple as a welcome drink voucher right then it doesn’t say much about the level of service and loyalty recognition you are offering. Late checkout was offered to 3:00PM when other Accor hotels in the region offer late check out until 5:00PM. Having stayed at numerous Accor hotels in the Asia Pacific including in Bangkok, Phuket, Krabi, Kuching, Myri, Singapore, Manila, Bali, etc, I can say that the Accor loyalty recognition is generally outstanding in the region. However, this hotel has poorly executed loyalty recognition which left me underwhelmed and disappointed and offered the worst recognition I’ve received in the region. While the hotel might point out that it is not actually an Accor hotel (that it is only 'managed by Accor', it missed no opportunity to promote its relationship with Accor with Accor branding throughout the hotel and the claim that 'member cards' and 'benefits' are accepted by the hotel. I felt this hotel over-promised and under-delivered. My advice to Le Club members considering booking this hotel is to spend your money elsewhere.

Value at this hotel was poor and the rate I paid was particularly high by Malaysian standards – particularly as it wasn’t peak season and the hotel didn’t have a lounge. I would even say I felt ripped off especially after paying less to stay at the excellent Pullman Kuching and Novotel Melaka which are light-years ahead of this hotel.

This review might sound harsh and I might sound fussy, but I am normally easy to please provided the basics are done well. The evidence of this is my 200+ Tripadvisor reviews which are overwhelmingly positive.

I would not recommend this hotel nor would I return in the future.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Alexinmelbourne
AvangioHotelKK, Manager at Avangio Hotel Kota Kinabalu Managed by Accor, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2017

Dear Alexinmelbourne,

Warm greetings from Avangio Kota Kinabalu Managed by Accorhotels.

Thank you for taking your time to address on your recent stay experience at our hotel. We regret to know that your stay experience did not meet your expectations; please allow us to express our sincerest apologies on the inconveniences caused.

Your feedback is very important to us. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the issue which was highlighted and prevent future occurrence.

Area to be improved will be the welcome and stay experience, especially for our elite members, and other issue which was related to food and beverage.

Please do not hesitate to contact us again should you require further clarification.

Once again, we apologize on the shortfall and we hope to see you again in near future.

Reviewed 17 August 2017 via mobile

The hotel is not really located in KK city centre.. it's good for those who drive or prefer to commute with cabs or grabs as it is at least 15-min drive away from the city centre.

Room is cozy, clean (not too clean as there as hair on the floor in the bathroom). Comfy beds.

In-house breakfast is simple with not much choices (and it costs RM30). Skip the in-house breakfast if you do not have it in your package, go for something else in the city.

They have got friendly staff.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank HLok
AvangioHotelKK, Manager at Avangio Hotel Kota Kinabalu Managed by Accor, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2017

Dear Hlok,

Greetings from Avangio Kota Kinabalu Managed by Accorhotels!

Thanks for the constructive feedback and appreciate your time and effort.

I have shared this information to the team, especially kitchen and housekeeping for their immediate improvement.

Please feel free to contact us again should you require further clarification.

Thanks and regards,

Alec

Reviewed 14 August 2017 via mobile

Absolutly everything has been perfect. Room si clean,nice and comfortable. Service super nice and helpful, breakfast awesome....even the pool is great but for the weather we couldnt swimg.
I do recommend this hotel. Is not close to the center but with uber everything is close

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
AvangioHotelKK, Manager at Avangio Hotel Kota Kinabalu Managed by Accor, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2017

Dear Titocag,

Warm greetings from Avangio Kota Kinabalu Managed by Accorhotels!

We are happy to read this wonderful reviews, appreciate your effort and time.

Hotel is located 8KM away from town centre which is about 15 minutes drive. Yes, you are right, Uber and Grab are available at anytime to make it very accessible, with very affordable fares.

Once again, thanks for the positive feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back again in near future.

Yours sincerely,