1,574 results
All reviews noble house penyu restaurant kingfisher restaurant borneo wing batik painting monitor lizards sunset bar ocean panorama olives restaurant private beach shuttle bus chinese restaurant the south china sea kids club seafood the club lounge malaysia
Reviewed 18 October 2017 via mobile

From start to finish this hotel has been awful. From all the additional taxes and add ons when we checked in (1,000rm) to water pouring through the light fitting when it rained. This hotel being 5 star is laughable. I have travelled all over Asia and stayed in many random hotels this is by far one of the worst.
On a Saturday night they closed the bar to hotel guests for a private function and blared oppressively loud bad karaoke the other nights. We were asked to leave the empty games room as you are not allowed drinks in there during a storm - leaving us nothing to do.
The wifi is awful - it is in most common areas but connection always drops. One day out of five we were able to access it in the room. I have come to believe that this is the norm. Along with the air conditioning that is broken in all the restaurants- I question when it last worked.
The amount of dead bugs and stains on the walls was just grim. The fact the dead bugs were not cleared away also makes you question the cleaning standards.
The room itself was big and spacious, however, signs like "hold toilet flush for 10 seconds to flush" are not what I expect of a five star hotel. Not forgetting the toilets that are closed because they are broken(lobby bar).
When we questioned if the chairs by the pool had cushions we were told "yes but they are heavy so we don't use them."
Everything was in major need of repair - things being broken/not working was the norm for this hotel. An extra bed was left in the corridor for the duration of our visit. There was also a tray of food in the same corridor for about 3 days.
A particular highlight was when speaking to a manager and he told me how difficult his day had been. He explained that he had spent a lot of time looking through cctv to see who had stolen a guests passport. I can imagine if I was in the hotel industry I wouldn't share this story with guests.
We decided to venture to a neighbour hotel, however, the hotel was charging 5 times what uber was. They were charging more than the 45minute airport ride cost. The following day when we asked about the taxi fares we were quoted half the price. The hotel was less than 6kms away.
Trying to arrange a taxi to the airport was unsurprisingly challenging - when we asked for a local taxi we were told that they did not know a number and the only way to get there was with the expensive hotel car.
If you are 50:50 between this hotel and the shangri-la I advise you not to stay at the nexus.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank kimmy1566
Reviewed 15 October 2017

Living in Seoul, I was looking for a neither expensive nor cheap spot at a sea side in the tropics for my kids and myself. During Chuseok holidays, this is pretty impossible to get. The travel agency I contacted (Mode Tour) suggested Kota Kinabalu in Malaysia (Borneo), and the resort, Nexus. The price was reasonable and the place, at least surfing the internet, seemed ok. So, let’s go for it, I told the kids.

It was better than expected: the location is wonderful, the resort fantastic, the sunsets breathtaking, the service and the food excellent, and my kids had a great time. I cannot ask for more, at this price! I indulged in a massage at the spa: the place is amazing.

There are nevertheless some details: internet was very poor inside the hotel, and nonexistent in our room. The bathroom seemed to be a little old and worn. The manager, who one day approached me at the side of the pool for a little chat, told me the rooms in this aisle will be redone next spring. Good reason to come back.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 October 2017 via mobile

We checked into our spa suite and was very happy during our 3 day stay.
We enjoyed the jacuzzi but was a little disappointed with the in room sauna.
Despite this, we had a great view of the sea from our room and enjoyed a high level or privacy.
While it may be a slight drive from KK, we would recommend it.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 October 2017

Our family of four enjoyed 4 nights here straight after climbing Mt Kinabalu.
The location is special, with a perfect beach and surrounded by jungle, it looked idyllic and held a special atmosphere. Our joining rooms were spacious and generally well fitted out. The beds were VERY comfortable. We enjoyed ocean views from balconies in both rooms.

There is a range of restaurants, and the staff in the ones we used were ALWAYS very helpful in helping us to satisfy our vegetarian dietary needs. They were flexible with menus and the chefs were always prepared to adjust meals to suit our needs.

The most significant thing to mention in this review was the way we were treated by staff. So much respect and care about our needs being met. Justin and Halum, in particular, checked in regularly and accommodated us very well.

Room Tip: The sea view rooms were fantastic.
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 October 2017

We had a room with an amazing view of the ocean and the cleanliness of the room was excellent! All their staff were friendly and so helpful. Breakfast was also great with variety of choices. We enjoyed our time in the relaxing spa, definitely going to go back to this resort again!

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family