“The Hotel to Stay”
Review of Cititel Penang

Cititel Penang
Ranked #20 of 85 Hotels in George Town
Reviewed 25 April 2012

I should say its the Best Hotel in Penang Road.Well trained Staff.I book a superior room online but didn't like the room when check in.Request for a room change.For RM30 more I agree with the room given.I was more than happy when I was given the 10 series room on the 11th floor with large room area,LCD TV, seaview on front window and the mountain view on the left window.Restaurants & shops was only a walking distance.

Room Tip: The superior room is rather small if you dont mind.If you need space ask for the corner room which i...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank ZoolSaleem
GM-CPG, General Manager at Cititel Penang, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2012

Dear Guest

Warmest Greetings from Cititel Penang!

It is a such a delight to read your comments on how much you had enjoyed your recent stay with us and that our Corner room is very much to your liking! What a great way to start my day!

Thank you very much for your postive and encouraging comments and we look forward to welcoming you back to Cititel Penang on your next visit across the Causeway.

With kind regards
Tony Goh

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for Cititel Penang

Reviewed 20 April 2012

I have to travel to Butterworth from time to time and stay overnight in Georgetown where we have a corporate account with the Cititel. I have reviewed this hotel before so here is my latest update.

These are short business trips so I do not need the comfort of a resort hotel and to be honest we only eat, drink, sleep, breakfast and check out the next morning. All I am looking for in an ideal hotel is location, clean, safe, sleep.

The location is unsurprisingly still the same. It is in old Georgetown and is convenient for the ferry and has bars and restaurants in the vicinity. I would not recommend Soho down the street as it is full of drunken expats.... my colleagues........ but there are plenty of other choices locally.

Again it was clean and well maintained and my room on the 10th floor was fine with quiet AC and ceiling fan. The TV channel selection is not the best but hey ho.

I had no security problems and it was safe.

Again I got a good night's sleep there, the beds were comfortable and it is not noisy in the room.

I did not eat this time as I was checking in late and back out early.

Overall I am happy to stay there for 1/2 nights in the week, it is convenient and good value.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank julianlord
GM-CPG, General Manager at Cititel Penang, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2012

Dear Guest

Warmest Greetings from the Island!

I am very happy to read your positive review of our hotel services and facilities. My team and I thank you for taking the time to write and your kind comments are most appreciated.

Thank you once again for your support and look forward to your continued patronage.

Reviewed 19 April 2012

I stayed in cititel twice and both times I had the best sleep ever...maybe the bed...or the pillows or music played on the tv channel or the room itself (a little too small tho) but everything came together and it really worked for me to have my wonderful night & morning sleep. I will definately stay here again when I make my escapade to penang...well if the budget permits me to do so. I found this hotel a bit overpriced when evaluation is made on the room size, old looking bathroom, limited parking space and no pool...but in the end of the day...it worth every $$ if I can have my precious sleep again.

There are variety of breakfast selections...some hits and misses...overall not great but good enough for me.

The location is great...so near to a must places to visit when I'm in georgetown; chowrasta market where I'll be spending most of my budget trip on jeruk(pickled/dried fruits), nutmegs and other local snacks like tambun biscuits then nearby Cendol stall, eat hot chestnut, buy frest cut fruits in front of the market...

I'll definately stay in Cititel again...

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
GM-CPG, General Manager at Cititel Penang, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2012

Dear Guest

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang!

I am truly delighted to know that enjoyed a dose of retail therapy when in Penang and that we have provided you with a good night’s rest each time you stay with us! Thank you for your kind feedback.

We truly appreciate your kind comments about our hotel facilities and you will be pleased to know that our rooms are presently undergoing refurbishment; we do hope that you will try out our new rooms as well as our jacuzzi pool, located on Level 3, when you stay with us on your next visit to Penang.

Thank you once again for taking the time to share your experience with us and my team and I look forward to welcoming you back to Cititel Penang soon.

Reviewed 18 April 2012

Location is at the beginning of Georgetown area so it's walking distance to shops and restaurants. The hotel is being refurbished and I stayed in a non-refurbished room - it was fine, had bed, bath, tv and was comfortable - yes it needs to be done up but it was clean and comfortable and the window opens out - yay for a smoker like me. I arrived with the flu and was so sick i could hardly get out of bed for the few days I was there. The staff directed me to the local doctor and then checked that i was ok. Every staff member I came across asked me how my stay was and was so helpful and polite - I probably wouldn't stay in Georgetown again cause i'm more of a beach person but if you want to be in georgetown this hotel is excellent value for money. The downside is the free wifi in the room is incredibly slow and the pillows are hard and high and the pool is indoor. Breakfast had a huge selection of different food to offer and the coffee machine was better than most asian coffee's

Room Tip: if you don't care about the decor then the non-refurb rooms are fine, just a little tired but co...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo

Dear Guest

Warmest greetings from Cititel Penang! I hope that you have recovered well.

I am very happy to note that you had enjoyed your stay with us and I have shared your kind comments with my team. Your words of appreciation mean a lot to us and it is always a delight to know that we have exceeded our guests’ expectations.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Cititel Penang on your next visit and our sincere thanks once again for sharing your experience with us.

Reviewed 17 April 2012

We stayed 3 nights in this hotel, we had booked room with safe but when we arrived our room had no safe. After some negosiation we got a room with a safe but had to pay 15% more, room was on upper floor some kind of "club" room had even shampoo etc which the one without safe didn't have. Breakfast OK but nothing to write home about.
You can stay in a real 4 star hotel i KL CBD for less money, would not recommend.
Only positive things was that wifi worked sometimes and the hopon bus is near.
This hotel is like a upgraded backpackers !

Room Tip: Go to another hotel !
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest

Warmest Greetings from Cititel Penang – I trust that you had a good trip home.

It is with much regret to learn of the less-than-positive experience of your recent stay with us. All our rooms are equipped with bathroom amenities from shower gel to shampoo and the rooms in the Deluxe category and upwards come in miniature bottles whilst the rest are installed with a shower gel/shampoo dispenser in the bath area. In-room safe is also available in all rooms from the Deluxe category upwards.

Please accept my apologies for inadvertently accommodating you in an incorrect room category upon your check-in as you had mentioned that you booked a room with the safe. We are unable to track your room reservations and your stay with us due to the lack of contact details from here, hence, I would appreciate it if you could kindly write to me at gm@cititelpenang.com with your booking details of this stay in order for us to conduct a thorough investigation on the above.

I will be more than happy to reimburse you the additional amount which you had paid for the room with the safe if you had been incorrectly made to pay the difference.

Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you.