See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 23 September 2016

First off, DO NOT FALL FOR THE ROOM PHOTOS posted online for this 'hotel'. It's far from that. Rooms are very small and didn't look spacious like the photos at all.

I prefer to call it a hostel rather than a hotel based on how this place works. It's a small hostel painfully hidden behind a chocolate museum in Georgetown, so you'll have a hard time searching for it as there's no signs or anything beside the road.

I booked a room with a bathroom, staying with my wife. Entrance to the hotel looks very promising and authentic, but later spoiled by an unfriendly receptionist. I stayed here for 4 days 3 nights and there's multiple receptionists sitting at the front desk, and not one of them greets me every time I pass by.

Upon entering the hostel, you will need to take off your shoes. Corridors looks homey and cozy. But when I enter my room, I was quite dissapointed to see that it's nothing like the photos I see on Agoda - very small room, badly decorated, smells funny and a super small bathroom. The walls are very thin, you can hear footsteps from far away because the rooms are on the second floor and the floors underneath the parquets seems to be made of hollow wood.

But it didn't stop there - right next door is one of the most famous foodcourts in Penang, and every night there's going to be live music blaring from there until 2AM. So if you're a light sleeper, avoid this place.

This hostel also claims to have lots of parking space. I brought a car during my trip to Penang and turns out I need to pay RM5 per day to park. Seems that the hostel 'borrows' the chocolate museum's parking lot, and worse, the food court next door too. So claiming to have lots of parking space seems misleading, as when you're back from exploring Georgetown using your car at night, you will find that the parking lot is full because of the visitors from the food court.

Breakfast is just sad - everyday you will only be served bread, butter and jam (which you can toast by yourself) and also a few fruits. Me and my wife gave up on day two and just had breakfast from a street hawker nearby since then.

Despite all of the complaints above, the location for the hostel is quite strategic as there's a lot of staple places in Penang that's just in a walking distance from the hostel.

Place seems to cater to backpackers and people who don't mind the lack of service and hospitality - hence the cheap room rates. Because of this, I'm giving an average rating for this hostel.

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tengku I
Reviewed 1 September 2016

We booked the hotel last minute. We are just three ladies shared the room
At first we couldn't find this hotel because the sign of the hotel we could not see clearly, we managed to find the hotel after make it 18 rounds at the same location. Upon check in the staff were friendly,and told us where is the towels are,the shared bathroom,the breakfast place and the smoking area.The room,the bathroom was clean and tidy. The location of the hotel just great for walking distance from one place to the others. The breakfast it's just simple but worth it with what you paying for the room. Overall this hotel is good for backpackers and who would like to save little bit money hotel and for the family who travel with the kids if they don't mind to mix around with the backpackers. Will definitely stay again at this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 August 2016 via mobile

Comfortable enough for a stay with friends. Easy access to town and if you are driving, there are parking lots provided with entry fees rm5. Dont trust the pircture since it is marketing strategy. Overall this place is comfy.

Stayed: August 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 August 2016

Red Inn Cabana จะอยู่ติดกับพิพิธภัณฑ์ช็อคโกแลต เป็น Hostel ราคาประหยัด ในวันที่เินทางไปพัก พักห้องรวม 4 คน แต่ไม่มีปลั๊กไฟของใครของมัน ต้องใช้ปลั๊กไฟรวม ห้องอาบน้ำไม่มีที่วางสบู่ หรือวางของ มีแต่ที่แขวนเสื้อผ้า แต่ก็ใกล้กับ Komtar ซึ่งเป็นศูนย์กลางของการเดินทางในปีนัง เดินทางสะดวกสบาย มีอาหารเช้าให้ ได้แก่ ขนมปังทาแยม ชา กาแฟ และผลไม้.
Red Inn Cabana is a budget hostel which is located next to Chocolate Museum. I had stayed in 4 beds dorm. The location is good, near Komtar, you can go to any places by buses at Komtar. The weakness are 1)no plug socket for each person. I had to use together for all people. 2) The shower rooms have no soap dish. They have only hanger. The breakfast was ok. (Bread with strawberry jam, tea, coffee and fruits) 3) The wifi is so slow. Overall is good.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 July 2016 via mobile

So first of all this place isn't the easiest to find. Hardly any signage considering it tucked away behind another business.

Anyway I found it eventually. Reception guy was nice enough but was then informed that they had double booked the Superior King En-Suite. Was told not to worry as he had booked me in at their sister hotel on Love Lane, Red Inn Heritage. I asked was I booked into the same room and the reply was yes certainly sir. Bare in mind my arrival was at 7.30pm all I was offered was walking directions. It is only 10 minutes walk away but I'd just spent 30 minutes trying to find this place. At least an offer to jump on the back of a bike wouldn't have gone a miss.

Anyway I arrive at Red Inn Heritage and check in easy enough. I was then shown to my room by the receptionist. If I'm honest I was dubious just walking through the lobby and halls about what I was going to get. We walk into the room and I was speechless. It was like I had stepped back in time 30 years. I know this is Penang and its oldy worldy but I booked a fairly modern room in the first place for a reason. So this room was dirty, smelly and just downright the opposite to what I had booked. There was cracks in the walls, a cigarette burn on the dresser, the floor was just a painted concrete floor, the bathroom still had a wet & dirty floor, the shower head was literally over the sink so I don't really know how you were supposed to shower and there was even a razor still on top of the shower from a previous customer.

I didn't stay and have requested a refund off of hotels.com but the receptionist didn't even apologise or even seem surprised when I said I wasn't staying. I got the feeling this isn't the first time this has happened.

Avoid the Red Inn group of Hotels in Penang at all costs