All reviewsil bacaronespresso machineiced teasari roomopium roomboutique hotelyogurtroof terracefirst floorwithin walking distancelittle touchesbreakfast was deliciousno liftfour poster bedturn down servicevisit georgetownyour luggage
Reviewed 25 April 2016

Trolling through some of the overwhelming number of "excellent" reviews on this site will give you a very good idea of the wonderful stay this boutique hotel will afford you. Location, comfort, service, ambience, value (and breakfast!) all come out with flying colours and we agree with ALL the positive comments. We feel it superfluous therefore, to add ours to the already 600+ above average reviews for this hotel. However, there are 6 "average or below average" reviews on this site (only four worth taking seriously), but they do make a couple of points worth looking at.
Yes there are polished wooden floors throughout the hotel and you are requested to remove your shoes before ascending the stairs, so be careful when coming down the stairs ...there is a chance you might find it a bit slippery.
Yes there is an in-house Italian restaurant serving authentic Italian food which to some may seem strange in a Malaysian hotel. Penang is rightly famous for its fantastic variety of Asian food available everywhere, of which we did take more than full advantage, but for us it was great to have a first class Italian dinner one night, just to make a change from the "usual fare". Make sure you book ahead though because on most nights it can be very popular with the local Malays!
We stayed on the first floor in the "Peacock" room which we loved (the in-room Nespresso machine was an unexpected bonus especially appreciated upon waking up in the morning). It is true however, that the Wi-Fi can be hit and miss .The basics such as email function ok, albeit slowly, but anything more is a trial.e.g. Skyping back home is almost impossible from the rooms but it gets a bit better from the common area. Management might consider putting signal boosters in appropriate places.
In summary, we cannot rate this hotel highly enough. Read our title...it says it all.

Room Tip: Ask for the Peacock room we stayed in...we loved it. It's the first room you come to on the first floor so really convenient too.
  • Stayed: March 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 April 2016 via mobile

Stayed here for 2 nights & stayed in smallest room but it had so much character but still giving us modern amenities. Special touches of espresso machine & cool tea in room. Breakfast good & house restored beautifully. After staying in large hotels this was a welcome change & close to walking the sites of the town.

Stayed: April 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 April 2016

Wooden big room staff very efficient
Very convenient to visit downtown and thé Island with thé services offered near thé hotel(bus or motorbike to rent)
Breakfast complète included
One of thé better place in Georgetown

Stayed: April 2016, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 16 April 2016

I stayed here for one night in early April, as a sole traveller looking to get away from KL for 24 hours. I stayed in the Silver Leaf room on the 1st floor, nearest to the sitting area and the stairs down to the lobby and restaurant. Despite the location I rarely heard much noise from adjoining rooms or those above.
Overall it was a fantastic stay. The hotel is well-located for walking around the historic area of Georgetown, and the friendly reception staff are more than happy to give you a map and suggest an interesting walking itinerary.
The room is large, well-decorated and, thoughtfully, has secondary glazing thus keeping out virtually all the noise from the busy streets below. If you want to open these -I didnt as it was so hot during my visit- then you can and even open the shutter slats too to let in more light. The a/c works well.
The bathroom is large, with a large rainfall shower and handheld shower, basin and toilet and, helpfully, a chinaware seat/stool if you wanted to sit or, for example, drying your legs and feet etc. There is a modestly sized TV, with a DVD player and a large selection of free DVD's to pick from in the common seating area nearby. The room has a large fitted safe and a decent sized fridge that had a selection of cold water, very nice juice, and milk (for the coffee and tea selection). A Nespresso machine is in the room, although there were only 2 coffee pods provided, so not that great if you are 2 avid coffee drinkers !
The hotel has a policy of no-shoes above the ground floor which meant one had to constantly keep changing from shoes to either barefoot or using the slippers that were provided in the room. Not sure I am completely on-side with that sort of thing, it is a hotel after all, but I guess they think it adds character to the place, so no big deal.
The breakfast selection -in the Il Bacaro restaurant- was great. A very nicely presented selection of tropical fruit, an offer of a small yogurt glass, croissants or bread. Unfortunately my croissant was not that fresh so I did not finish it, but the bread was far better. There is a selection of coffees and a very good a la carte selection of hot dishes for the breakfast. This is very much my idea of a good breakfast as opposed to luke- warm items left in a buffet. I, unusually, chose Welsh Rarebit which whilst not that exciting to look at was really tasty and not over-cooked which they sometimes can be.
My only observation was that I was a bit surprised when I asked for chilli sauce that none was forthcoming -this is Malaysia after all!- but not a show-stopper.
Overall I was very impressed with the place and I would strongly recommend this place to friends and strangers alike. I shall definitely return.

• Stayed: April 2016, travelled solo
2  Thank chris53kualaLumpur
Reviewed 12 April 2016

Lovely colonial style rooms with modern amenities. Could view the street life outside but well protected from noise. The staff were very friendly and helpful recommending places to see and things to do.

The Hotel had an inviting deck where you could enjoy a quiet drink, we ran out of time to utilise this instead having a nightcap in the restaurant on the ground floor where we got to have a good conversation with the owners, Nardya and Roberto.

Enjoyed our breakfasts of fresh fruits, toasts and full Monty (sausage, eggs, mushroom and tomato).

We enjoy walking to discover and this Hotel is very centrally located to access most of the Old Town by foot which you could get respite when needed by hopping on the free air conditioned bus service doing the rounds of the Old town.

Room Tip: Each room has a different theme, review on line or ask staff. All rooms are on upper floors without lift.
  • Stayed: March 2016, travelled as a couple