“A Treasure!”
Review of Tiger Rock

Tiger Rock
Reviewed 9 July 2012

Another getaway from the city. We had wanted to go to Koh Samui but so many things happened... I was adamant about getting out of KL. Now, friends had been telling me about Tiger Rock for ages, and I thought, why not? I emailed the owner of the eco-resort and then we were there!

I'm a keen supporter of heritage tourism and will spend money on heritage hotels but Tiger Rock beats them all. We were fed around the clock. There were jungle animals nearby. The guests were also nice. The whole place was just too good to be true!

Of course this is not the Datai, but you know what? It's personable, wonderful and worth every penny. Will I come back? Yes. With my laptop, and hole up for 5 days to write!

Room Tip: I'd say this: When you contact the resort, specify what you want. In my case, I said I needed a...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank dinazaman
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 17 June 2012

At first glance yes.

So my thoughts. The jungle location is exquisite and only a few minutes drive from the Jetty.

The family house and guest accommodation are lovely and very comfortable. Remember this is not a 6 star hotel, but really a home in which you are a guest, but invited to treat it as your own. Mohan, Bavani, Paarthi and Seela and the rest of the team are genuinely pleased to see and welcome you and offer as much local advice as you want and try to accommodate every request that you might have.

We arrived on 16 June 2012 and unfortunately could only stay for the Saturday night as we needed to drive back to Kuala Lumpur on Sunday 17 June 2012. As it turned out myself, my wife and our two adult daughters were the only guests this weekend so we had the place to ourselves and everything was devoted to ensuring our happiness and comfort.

When I booked I asked if we could have a seafood dinner on the Saturday night. What a feast was produced! Steamed fish, fried squid, chilli crab, griiled prawns and mixed veggies, washed down with the champagne which we brought with us fooled by a heavenly dessert and selection of teas and coffees.

Our daughters spent a lot of time around the pool area. We all enjoyed watching the swifts flying and then dipping to take water from the pool, the squirrels in the trees, the sounds of the jungle, the sounds of the fishing boats going out to sea, the two friendly dogs Coco and Pepper who our daughters loved, the wild boars we saw roaming in the jungle near us, but kept away by Coco and Pepper. By the way, Coco and Pepper whilst very friendly will leave you alone if you wish and they have been trained not to go to the pool area.

If you need to use a walking stick or chair, then Tiger Rock is not for you. There are quite a few steps and some short but steep slopes. Very young kids will need to be carried. There are mosquitoes in the open air (take mossie spray), but not in your bedrooms which are airconditioned and also naturally ventilated with good mosquito netting over all openings

We stayed in the Yellow and Purple Rooms which together form one building, just a few steps above the Hill House Pavillion which is an open air living and kitchen area. A few steps below the Hill House Pavillion are the Shell and Leaf rooms again in another building, so if you had two, three or four couples who wanted easy access to each other, that's a great location. They call this location collectively the Hill House, although it is actually 2 buildings plus a very large and comfortable pavillion. There was no wifi or TV here. I managed to get 3G data reception on my ipad on Maxis.

We ate in the Library Pavillion, which is next to the Pool. We also relaxed there and used the wifi which was strong and constant. My wife and I both intended to do some work whilst at Tiger Rock, but we were so busy relaxing, we did not have time to do any work, although we made a few VOIP calls to Hong Kong to deal with a freezer emergency at home which happended on Saturday night!

We drove in my car from Kuala Lumpur to Lumut Jetty which took 3.5 hours without stopping. Parked the car in a Multi story carpark about 2-3 minutes walk from the Jetty and took the passenger ferry across to Pangkor. There is a timetable published, but it seems to be flexible on the weekend and the ferries go when the are full, or near full, or the time published which ever happens first (or was it last?). The ferry ride takes about half an hour and the Tiger Rock team pick you up at the other end. We drove back to KLIA as my family were flying back to Hong Kong and that took about 4.5 hours. I would have flown to Pangkor (rather than lose time driving on our weekend break) but could not get a flight on Saturday morning from Sultan Abdul Aziz Shah Airport, the old Subang Airport, which is much closer to Kuala Lumpur than KLIA. If you want to fly to Pangkor, check out the Berjaya Air website. I think that they are the only airline to fly to Pangkor. They use turbo props.

Tiger Rock is really too far away from Kuala Lumpur to drive for a one night stay and I have to say that a one night stay does not allow you to fully enjoy the facilities or Pangkor. Will we return? An unqualified yes! Next time I would like to stay for atleast 3-4 nights to enjoy Tiger Rock and to explore Pangkor.

Room Tip: The Hill House Pavillion and the Yellow and Purple rooms are at the highest part of Tiger Rock so be...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank SteveHK_8
Reviewed 31 May 2012 via mobile

What a great place to get away from it all. After the sudden cutaway from the main road and the steep climb you arrive in a piece of heaven. Welcomed like life long friends we were seated for lunch straight away. Freshly cooked local food that I so looked forward to eat since arriving at Malaysia. You will get it here.

The room is very original and the sounds of the jungle at night a real treat. There is a perfectly situated pool with a view of the jungle.

If you are looking for a few days in a very private place do not look any further.

• Stayed: May 2012
2  Thank Doorrijder
Reviewed 26 May 2012

My other half and I were on a spontaneous road trip that took us to Pangkor. We researched a few places, narrowed down the list and flipped a coin, it chose Tiger Rock. I called 2 hours before arriving and they accommodated our very last minute booking. In that short span of time, Mohan and the Tiger Rock team made sure everything was ready for us, from receiving us at the jetty to the beautifully personalized welcome at the pool house & room. Mohan made us feel right at home, Bavanni cooked us some of the best meals I've had, Paarthi & Dinesh were ever so accommodating and courteous when driving us around and the team overall, took real good care of us. The little touches from custom blend teas, the beach kit, rare soaps and fascinating conversations left deep impressions in our hearts.

I could not agree more with the well written reviews here & on Tiger Rock's website. And although I only could stay one night, I must say that I will make another longer trip back soon. And despite me repeating what others have said, I must stress that Tiger Rock is truly a special place because of it's unique setup, tranquil ambiance, great food and a wonderful team that made our stay the best ever. Even after leaving this beautiful place, Mohan still keeps in touch with little emails & secret Bavanni recipes!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Zoe_Moraes
Reviewed 3 May 2012

My husband and I treated ourselves to 3 nights at Tiger Rock on Pangkor Island in January 2012, sans enfants thanks to grandparents. Having read in the Malaysia expat magazine that Tiger Rock won best boutique and best eco-resort categories, we were definitely not disappointed. Tiger Rock is an extremely special place to unwind, connect, spoil, contemplate and explore, a kind of rustic, luxurious, 'Swiss Family Robinson' meets fine dining jungle experience.

We drove from Kuala Lumpur up the northwest side of the Malaysian peninsula to Lumut, leaving early in the morning, about a 3.5 hour drive depending on the palm oil trucks. When we reached Lumut we parked the car undercover in a car park which cost about 10MYR per day and rang Mohan, the wonderful manager of Tiger Rock, to let him know which ferry we were catching (2 or 3 run each day). After about an hour on the ferry, we were met at the Pangkor jetty by Tiger Rock's driver and after a short drive around the fishing village edges of Pangkor island, turned right at the old Dutch Fort to climb behind it up a steep driveway into what looked like pure jungle.

Not quite pure jungle. Tucked against the jungle slopes about a kilometre back from the sea, Tiger Rock is the former family home of Rebecca and David Wilkinson (who also own a boutique guesthouse in Penang called China Tiger, a yacht for hire in Indonesia called Tiger Blue, and who were instrumental in establishing the brilliant Tropical Spice Gardens & Cooking School in Penang). A small cluster of discretely spaced wooden Malay bungalow buildings spread up the slope, most with verandahs and rustic furnishings (aircon, fans and ensuites of course). The thatched open air kitchen and dining pavilion nestles around a to-die-for infinity pool, and the charming communal living bungalow with games and books is situated a little further up the hill. The site is steep with stepped paths made of rock and wood, which could provide some challenges if you are mobility impaired or have young children.

What really makes Tiger Rock so special, apart from its unique setting, gardens, tranquil ambiance and simple but divine cuisine, is the service provided by Mohan, his wife Pavanni and his small team. They have a family approach to running Tiger Rock and nothing is too much trouble, it was a privilege to have them look after us. Pavanni's cooking is superb - fresh, alive with spices, with lots of seafood - and we went to the markets one morning to help her choose dinner. We also hired a small boat for an afternoon to drop a line in further around the island, explored the Dutch Fort, the Pangkor Island Chinese and Hindu temples, the traditional boat building, the fish drying factories, and frolicked on the beach with a picnic for a few hours one afternoon. Mohan organized all this for us, and was also happy to serve us beer or wine provided by Tiger Rock, or to chill the champagne we brought with us.

Pangkor Laut, the tiny atoll off Pangkor Island, might provide Malaysian 6 star resort-type luxury, but Tiger Rock on Pangkor Island gives you the local flavours of luxurious rustic romance which is very, very hard to beat.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Larissa T
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pangkor
1.8 km away
4.5 km away
Joe Fisherman Inn
Joe Fisherman Inn
#2 of 25 in Pulau Pangkor

Been to Tiger Rock? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK