“Room is good, service is horrible!” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Tower Regency Hotel

Tower Regency Hotel
Ranked #36 of 59 Hotels in Ipoh
Singapore
“Room is good, service is horrible!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2012

My husband and I stayed 2 nights at the hotel during CNY. We drove all the way from Singapore at 1am (to avoid jam) and reached hotel at about 8am. We were so tired upon arrival and there was no bell boy available to help with our luggages.

I tried to check into the hotel, the front desk supervisor- Norida insisted to charge me RM100 for the early check-in; i asked what time i can check in without paying the RM100, she replied maybe 12pm. I wasn't happy, I can understand if she told me no rooms are available, but the RM100 really pissed me off. Moreover, i have asked her politely to let me check in early as we would be checking out very early too at 3am but she insisted on the RM100. At the point of time, i wanted to move to another hotel as we were really exhausted from the long drive, but we have made full payment for the hotel upon reservation, so we had no choice and we went for breakfast. After breakfast, we sat at the lobby and husband fell asleep due to the tiring drive, and we were really upset. 2 hours later, my husband went to the reception and asked for check-in, after negotiating with the front desk officer, we finally got the keys and have a room to rest! We were really not happy with the check-in experience, we have traveled to Japan, USA, Hong Kong, Taiwan etc, but we didn't experience this before, the front desk could have told us to go out for walk/breakfast and come back by certain time, but she didn't. she also didn't offer to keep our luggages, we had to push our luggages around.

The room was good, spacious and clean; the wall was really thin though, we can hear the entire conversation of our neighbor. Breakfast still needs lots of improvements.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank luckyrabbit25
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Singapore
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2012

We booked an apartment during the chinese new year thinking that it will be a clean hotel given that it's pretty new. It's spacious enough that we can put a couple of mattresses in to house the additional guests. The first sight of the room was disappointing, and saw that the housekeeping was done in a shoddy manner - the room and furniture were tired, bed sheets were dusty with light blood stains, we requested to change the sheets but the bed remain dusty, we found out later that the dust came from the suspended fan that has accumulated dust that is at least 0.5cm thick. The bottom of the dustbin has a ring of dust beneath, which shows that the housekeepers not bother to clean the room a least bit more thoroughly.

The only plus factor, is the location of this hotel, nothing more.

Free wifi was promised, but connection speed was pitiful.

After the first two nights, I realized where the blood stains came from, my whole body was ravaged with angry red spots left behind my bed bugs!!!! With the numbers, I reckon that there must be a whole army of bed bugs within the mattresses. We made a fuss at the reception, whom did not give a single word of apology, and promptly push the responsibility to the housekeeping to resolve the bed bugs issues. First reaction was to ask if we want to change room (but no room was available). Not a word of concern nor a gesture to assure us that we will not face the same problems during the following nights. My husband did away with a couple of bed bugs (filled with my blood) but that only brought our disgust to the next level. The itch was unbearable and totally wreck my new year mood.

Will never return again and if you have to stay in the hotel, avoid room 1245 totally!

Room Tip: Avoid room 1245!
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank cryst_clear

Travellers are raving about these Ipoh hotels

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2012

Quite run down for a building that is only a few years old.. Stains on the carpet and walls. Our shower head holder was falling off.
2 bedroom unit (4pax) only 2 pairs of tissue slippers provided.
Sound insulation is really bad..

• Stayed January 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Djang
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 December 2011

The hotel in general is okay, near to mall, and park. I stayed in an executive room @14F. The bed, which i originally requested for a king size bed was not granted as they are fully booked, so instead, what i got are 2 single beds (twin beds). The bed is just okay, but the pillow is too soft, as if I am not using a pillow, hence I need to use both of them just enough to have a support on my head while sleeping. The 32-inch TV is also there, but have some issues initially, as one of their staff, just asked to replace it with a smaller one. Initially, it is fine with me, but then, after few minutes, the replacement unit is already not showing any video, but only audio, hence, I still need to ask them to replace the unit again. It was granted, but it took them almost 20 mins to complete it. The bathroom is also okay, just fine and was able to take a bath comfortably. The view on the 14F is also nice, as I can see the hills surrounding the city. Unfortunately, the food, is not that much okay, and somewhat failed to stand what Ipoh is known for good food. One major issue that i also noted is that the doors are too thin, that i can easily hear the other people walking/talking outside my door. Net, net, the okay is just okay.

Room Tip: Not sure, but I guess, their apartment rooms should be okay.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank kram23
Petaling Jaya, Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2011

We stayed in the apartment wing of the Tower Regency Hotel in a large group (about 4-6 people per apartment). The people who were handling the booking for this large group were friendly and helpful, and they worked on our requests efficiently and graciously. Upon checking in, the apartments were found to be clean and comfortable, although there was no free wi-fi in the apartment wing. Some of the apartments showed some signs of ageing, but nothing that was much of a concern. The complimentary breakfast was basic but okay, and anyway Ipoh has food pretty much wherever you go. Probably the best option for Ipoh in my opinion.

Room Tip: If you want a huge spacious apartment, ask for the ones at the ends.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends