“Amazing pool”

Ranked #79 of 103 Hotels in Langkawi
Beijing
“Amazing pool”
Reviewed 5 April 2012

Stayed 5 nights here and was very happy with the hotel. Really close to the airport but there is nothing around the hotel, no restaurants or shops, so you really need a car. We rented a car for our stay as it's very reasonable and Langkawi is a big island with lots to explore. The rooms are really large and ours were clean and comfortable, with a kettle and fridge. Quite a limited choice of English TV channels. The best part of the hotel is the enormous infinity pool, it is really wonderful. Plenty of sun loungers and while there is no pool bar the restaurant will serve drinks and food at the pool. There is also a gym and a children's playroom. The hotel is on a small private beach, not great but very peaceful and nice for watching the sunset. The staff were all very friendly and helpful. It would be a good idea for the hotel to open a small store stocking snacks and drinks as there isn't anything nearby. I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel. We didn't encounter any of the problems mentioned in the negative reviews, so maybe they were teething troubles. Everything was clean and in working order and the staff were very helpful. I wouldn't stay here without transport, but with it it makes a perfect base on the island and the pool is a surprising touch of sheer luxury.

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank ZentravellerBeijing
sheratonlangkawi, General Manager at Century Langkasuka Resort, responded to this review, 17 April 2012
Dear ZentravellerBeijing,

Many thanks for choosing to stay at the Four Points by Sheraton Langkawi Resort – and sharing your kind comments.

Your highlight on our infinity pool certainly enhances our guest experience. Trust many will agree with you that car hire is a must for the convenient to move around on the island although taxis are available.

I am pleased to hear of your pleasant experience and thank you for your suggestion to have a convenient store in the hotel. Rest assured we will look into it in the near future.

It is our pleasure to ensure our guest’s comfort is taken care during their stay and I am glad to know that our effort is appreciated.

Once again, thank you very much for your support and I look forward to welcoming you back soon in the near future.

Kind regards.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Reviewed 26 March 2012

Four Points is currently offering great value through wotif etc at about $100 a night. I base my review on having secured these rates over a 10 day period.

Staff upgraded our room on arrival in this modern albeit bare hotel which contrasts with others on the island given most of them appear to be homages to the 1980s.

While it lacks the opulence of say the Andaman it costs about half as much.

The pool is almighty. At 53 x 30 metres it must be about the biggest on the island.
With beach frontage it is spectacularly located for those Langkawi sunsets.

The private beach is clean with white sand but has the misfortune of being bounded, like Four Points, by construction sites. It is also quite small at a couple of hundred metres. To be honest I found the pool much more alluring given the murky warm sea water prevalent on Langkawi.

The hotel is a 10 minute drive from the throng of Pantai Cenang while it's restaurant caters to most tastes but is at its best when serving up local fare at slightly expensive prices.

Staff are extremely friendly and accommodating.

The place seems to have very low occupancy which may explain the discount rates.

It is also gives the feeling that it's not quite complete and one room was constantly being worked on the whole time we were there however this didn't prove too irritating.

There's also the active construction site next door. I don't know if it's island culture or what but when I say 'active' only a couple of hours a day, on some days none, saw noisy work being carried out. Thus it was never much of an impingement on relaxation. Construction work also seemed to be being carried out at or near several other hotels which weren't offering discount rates.

Drawbacks included the continuous cycle of one album featuring sickly classical guitar covers of Whitney Houston and Procol Harum constantly piped to the eatery- management please mix it up a bit.

Also, staff could have been more proactive in clearing dishes from the poolside area and seeing if guests wanted drinks or food - especially since many were doing nothing in the restaurant which was often empty. This says nothing about the staff disposition I don't believe but probably more a management oversight.

In short great value for what you get with a gargantuan pool but keep an eye on the nearby construction in the future.

• Stayed March 2012
4 Thank Paddy_B_australian
sheratonlangkawi, General Manager at Century Langkasuka Resort, responded to this review, 2 April 2012
Dear Paddy_B_australian,

Thank you very much for posting this review.

I believe most guests like to spend their time at our infinity pool - one of the resort’s highlight. For our guest’s convenience, food and beverage service is provided by our team at Eatery in this area. I have shared your comment with my team and rest assured they provide pro-active service.

Many thanks for your feedback on the local food prices at Eatery, rest assured the prices are comparable with other international hotels on the island.

One of our Four Points Suites is still being worked on. The work is consistently monitor to ensure the noise does not disturb our guests.

I appreciate your highlight on the music played at Eatery, our Resort Manager has looked into and ensure there is a variety being played.

Once again, thank you very much for your time and I look forward to welcoming you back soon in the near future.

Hong Kong
Reviewed 24 March 2012

Four Points by Sheraton went for the Wow factor with the pool area. A stunning infinity pool giving the illusion that it is disappearing onto an uncluttered beach and the sea beyond. The pool area also has a small children’s pool and a building with a mini children’s club and an adults gym. The sun loungers and parasols finish off the look. Although I feel they made a big mistake in using small black stones for the area circling the pool. Once the sun have been on it for a short while it’s extremely hot to walk on for adults let alone children.
Along with the pool area the entrance, reception and lounge is spacious, modern and clean. But it doesn’t lend itself to any sort of atmosphere. Some sort of sculpture or cultural centre piece would help break up the empty space.
The staff are a credit to the hotel. They are friendly, helpful and always have a smile and are willing to help make your stay a memorable one.
The Eatery serves a buffet breakfast which has a lot of choice including an egg station. Very disappointed with the two large urns one for black tea and one for coffee. They both taste like they have been sitting there for a couple of hours. I can not understand why the hotel can not at least have a coffee machine with decent coffee. I have been to 2 & 3 star hotels that offer better coffee and tea in a tea pot. Also offering yoghurt in an open dish in my opinion is unhygienic especially when you see someone try the yoghurt with the serving spoon and then put the same spoon back in the yoghurt. Individual pots on a tray of ice would be a better choice.
Lunch and Dinner is also served in the Eatery with a very limited menu. Again no atmosphere it felt like you were eating in a large canteen as the lights make it too bright in the evening. No other outlets available for dinner. They could do with a beach bar/café to offer choice and hopefully some atmosphere.
Now to the rooms – hmmm what can I say, I appreciate this is not a new build it’s a renovation but….. Although the rooms are large and look modern and clean we experienced several problems. I had to clean the drawers before I could put any clothes in them. The sliding wardrobe doors are already coming off the rails and are not made very well. The A/C in the rooms struggle to keep the room cool. We had our A/C on 24 hours a day (yes not very environmentally friendly) for 7 days and the temperature never got below 21 degrees it averaged 22.5. This is OK during the day but I need a cool room to sleep in at night. The bed was comfortable but bne of the pillow cases was dirty and the quilt cover had what looked like curry stains on it.
Also worth noting that the rooms are built in a corridor style with an open staircase, if you are a light sleep then this could pose a problem. The noise from other people and children returning to their rooms in the evening seems to echo down the corridor.
Bathrooms are large with a bath and a roomy shower with a rainshower head. But the tiling looks second rate with grout missing between the tiles. Also the floor in the shower looks like it was laid a couple of years ago not a couple of months ago.
Overall it’s located in a convenient part of the island, the pool is a joy to use and the staff are a great asset to the Sheraton. They have also made the right decision in making the whole of the hotel a Non-Smoking hotel. With outside areas for those that do smoke. Is this enough for me to forget the other issues…. NO. Unless they make some huge changes I will not be returning to The Four Points in Langkawi.

Room Tip: If your willing to pay alittle more then a sea view room is a must.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Kawidawn
sheratonlangkawi, General Manager at Century Langkasuka Resort, responded to this review, 5 April 2012
Dear Kawidawn,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience at the Four Points by Sheraton Langkawi Resort in this review.

We have taken note of your comment about the surface around the pool area which can get very hot in the afternoon. Hence we strongly recommend our future guests to wear rubber slipper which is provided in every guestroom.

My team takes pride in taking care of our guest’s comfort and it makes them proud when their effort is appreciated.

Many thanks for your comment on the quality of coffee and suggestion to have individual pots of yoghurt on tray of ice at Eatery for hygiene purposes. Rest assured, our Food & Beverage Service Manager is looking into it.

In our effort to uplift our facilities, there are plans in place to improve our lobby appearance and activities at our beach area in the near future.

The cleanliness and maintenance issues you have encountered in your room is unacceptable. Rest assured, my team is looking into it for improvement. We encourage our guests to provide feedback while they are still in the hotel so that immediate action can be taken to resolve any issues.

I have noted your comment on the corridor noise that travels into your room and can assure that guest privacy is always respected.

Once again, thank you very much for your valuable feedback and regret that your stay was overshadowed by disappointment. Please do contact our Resort Manager, Mr. Tasriff Mokhtar at mohd.tasriff@fourpoints.com should your travels bring you back to Langkawi as my Team and I would like to restore your faith in us.

Reviewed 23 March 2012

Stayed there last week 14 march 2012 with my two boys and my husband..a friend booked the place for us..didn't know much about the hotel..l found out later that the hotel is new..only 5mths old..the location is great frm the airport .5 or 7 mins only..I like the room, And i guess it's a suite room, ground floor, facing the cafe and not far frm the pool.. We had dinner at the hotel coz we were quite tired frm exploring Langkawi..the service was quite long..breakfast was ok though..mind u there're plenty of Mosquitos..the only thing I like bout it- the locations and the pool..

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Benjosh
sheratonlangkawi, General Manager at Century Langkasuka Resort, responded to this review, 3 April 2012
Dear Benjosh,

Thank you for the time taken to provide us with this review.

Many guests appreciate the resort’s location which provides the convenience of getting to places of interest and our huge infinity pool.

I have taken onboard your comment on the service provided at Eatery during dinner and can assure that our Food & Beverage Service Manager is monitoring the associates’ performance as well as providing the necessary training to further improve their service efficiency. Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience encountered.

On the mosquitoes issue, rest assured that pest control exercise is being carried out regularly both in our guestrooms as well as the surrounding areas. Mosquito repellent is also available in the room for our guest use.

Once again, thank you for your valuable feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Bergen, Norway
Reviewed 16 March 2012

We stayed for five nights with our baby in the beginning of March. The hotel looks fantastic from the front, and the lobby area is very nice. A bit empty though. Could do with some more plants/artwork or something like that. Very nice at the check in, although they got a bit confused when we asked about they had bigger rooms available. (Normally we wouldn't have asked, but did because we had a baby that easily wakes up and it would have been nice with a seperate bedroom) As the price would be the double of what we paid, we didn't get the upgrade, but were very pleased with the room we had booked anyway. I don't know if the hotel has a policy regarding cheaper upgrades, but if they had given us a discount on the upgrade that would have given them alot of goodwill, especially as the hotel was nowhere near full.

The room was very spacious, but it was very evident that it had been refurbished, especially in the bathroom. That was the biggest disappointment as the finishes in the bathroom was so poor, that if it had been my own I would have lodged a complaint towards the contractor. Also there was very visible mould and dirt in the shower, which you don't expect when its new and when its a four star hotel. But other than that the room was very nice and clean. They do seem to be a bit confused to what types of towels to leave in the room, as getting towels to dry our hands with was a bit of hit and miss phenomenon. But that was more funny than annoying.

The pool area is the best I've seen, and they also have a smaller kids pool. Poor beach, but with a pool this nice we didn't feel the need to use the beach. No pool bar, but the restaurant (Eatery) was just outside the pool anyway and served the poolguests. There was also a kids club, but we didn't use it as our baby was too small.

The staff (especially at the Eatery) was superfriendly, chatty but still professional, and made us feel like very valued guests. When you go out and come back they greet you at the door and welcome you back. When we ate at the Eatery we had several come over to talk to our baby, which we really appreciated, and one of the staff even took him for a tour in the restaurant and kitchen. I am guessing that we got this much attention because there weren't many guests, so they weren't superbusy. If there is anything negative about the restaurant was that at dinner they have a limited menu, and often there was things on it that wasn't available. That's fine, but they should inform of this when they hand out the menu. Also at breakfast there was lots of ants in the honey, every morning. Other than that everything tasted good and the breakfast selection was very good.

The location is very close to the airport, but nothing else. But taxis and car rentals are relatively cheap and we didn't mind at all.

We would stay here again at the current price.

Room Tip: All rooms are close to the pool, but would recommend getting one facing the poolside, as the other s...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank frureiseglad
sheratonlangkawi, General Manager at Century Langkasuka Resort, responded to this review, 20 March 2012
Dear sitrona,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Four Points by Sheraton Langkawi Resort and the time taken to provide us this review.

I was very pleased to learn how much you enjoyed your stay with us and I would like to thank you for letting me know how impressed you were with the service you received especially from the staff at the Eatery.

Your kind comments are greatly appreciated. Customer care is amongst our highest priorities and it is always gratifying to receive such praise.

There are several room upgrade options made available for guests to choose at a minimum charge, I apologize if our Front Desk staff has overlooked in offering it to you during your check in.

Thank you for highlighting the comfort and spaciousness of your room despite some shortfall on the bathroom cleanliness. I have shared your concern including the towel issue with our Room Attendants to ensure that they give emphasis on attention to detail in their room cleaning process.

The ants on the honey at breakfast and unavailability of some items listed on the dinner menu at Eatery is unacceptable, rest assured that our Food & Beverage Service Manager and Executive Chef are looking into it for improvement and to ensure item listed on the menu is available. It is kind of you to highlight our breakfast selection – an area that we continue to focus on.

Many thanks for your suggestion to improve our lobby area.

Thank you again for your valuable feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kind regards