The Lanai Langkawi Beach Resort
The Danna Langkawi(Pantai Kok)
US$ 332
Agoda.com
  • Breakfast included
US$ 66
US$ 50
Ambong Ambong Langkawi(Pantai Tengah)
US$ 184
US$ 130
Agoda.com
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 2 April 2012

For this price, you can not complain but be prepared as this hotel comes with a long list of UGLY and BAD rather than Good. The only good i can think of is the Beach although it is relativelyt far from everything. Besides that, there are NO porters, NO lifts, NO life guards at the pool, NO 24 room service, Not children friendly, etc.. To add to that, my room had a foul stench, the toilet was dirty, the airconditioned was blowing warm air even on maximum, the bed had dustmites and dead cockroaches. The water was either scalding Hot or freezing Cold. This list is Not exhasutive. . .

Room Tip: Probably the rooms nearer to the beach are better but i dare not go there again to find out
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank JamesFoo
Reviewed 2 April 2012

the hotel was frankly Terrible. My room had bugs, cockroaches, mosquitoes both dead and alive on all 4 corners of the room and bed sheets. Under the bed had Condom and cigratte wrappers. Jessie and my children got bitten by dust mites. The water pressure was weak with either scalding hot or freezing cold water. Besides that, the toilet is dirty and not children friendly. To add to that the variety at breakfast was close to pathetic.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank terenceyong
Reviewed 21 March 2012

I prebooked a room at the Lanai Langkawi Beach Resort through Agoda as it was the best value for money I could find in the area. Indeed there are not a huge number of options on Pantai Tenggah, and if I had my time again I probably might have stayed on Pantai Cenang, or somewhere in between Pantai Tenggah and Pantai Cenang. I thought Cenang would be too busy and hectic for me, but really it wasn't as bustling as I expected, so it would've been OK. In contrast, there are hardly any shops in the Tenggah area, and having a car certainly came in handy when staying here. Finding the hotel was easy, as there were signs from the airport.
Anyway, the hotel grounds, rooms and swimming pools were clean. There is one main pool for the big kids, and a small shallow pool for the little kids! The bigger pool is not huge, but big enough that you can do some laps in it.
Checkin and cleaning staff were polite and pleasant, I had no qualms with them though I didn't have much to do with them either.
My room was a bit ancient, but I could live with this as it wasn't a 5 star resort I was expecting. Nevertheless I found there was no hot water in the shower, and I could hear the plumbing from the adjacent room. The noise was fixed by closing the bathroom sliding door, and I didn't complain about the lack of hot water as I wasn't there long and didn't have time to stuff around with them.
The airconditioner in the room was effective but noisy (rattling), so it prevented me from having a really decent nights' sleep.
Breakfast was a bit of an industrial affair, it was quite busy and felt a bit like a high school canteen. The variety was reasonable and as always you can find something that you like. Nothing special, but not bad and I didn't get sick.
The hotel is beachfront, which is nice, and there is a restaurant/bar attached to the hotel on the beach. The beach itself is nice, but not the prettiest I've ever seen, and there is a patrolled swimming area about 100m down from the hotel towards Pantai Cenang. The beach was a bit dirty, with some litter around which was a shame.
Overall this hotel was value for money, but I think they could do with some updating, or perhaps they should adjust their prices down a little. There are easy fixes to most of the problems, but I'm usually of the belief that problems should be nipped in the bud before they arise, so I shouldn't have to bring earplugs, and I shouldn't have to ask for hot water in the shower! The good points were the relaxed location and the pool. Most of the parasailing in the area seems to start and finish up the other end of Pantai Tenggah, at the end of Jalan Teluk Baru, so if you're up for it (and it was heaps of fun!), then go there and try to negotiate a better rate than the tour operators give you.
For duty free goods, go to Kuah Town, though many of the cigarette and alcohol prices are the same at the airport duty-free store. The duty free department store at the Langkawi Cineplex on Jalan Padang Matsirat has a good variety of clothing and alcohol. If you're on Langkawi, it's actually a pretty good idea to spend a couple of days exploring Kuah town. Make sure you also visit the cable-car as well as the 7 Wells a bit up the road from the Oriental Village/Cable Car complex. The 7 Wells was a tiring but worthwhile climb.
To conclude, if you're a budget-conscious traveller and want to stay in Pantai Tenggah, consider The Lanai but don't discount the other options.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank robol
Reviewed 20 March 2012

We stayed at the Lanai for 2 nights whilst visiting Langkawi. It was very cheap, good value for money but a bit out of the way. If you want to get to the main area of town you're best to get a taxi, as it's a long walk but taxis are cheap. If you do walk there is a plus side, there are plenty of bars with Happy Hours along the way!!!

The hotel is right on a beautiful beach with a great beach bar and cafe. The water sports seemed to be cheaper than on the main part of the town and it certainly was quieter.

The room was very basic, but just what we expected/wanted. Breakfast was great, lots of variety although there was no chilled water, only warm....not what you need after a night full of happy hours and intense heat!!

If your after a quiet, cheap get-away, this is the place for you. If you want to be in the thick of it with more bars and restaurants then stay in Cenang.

I would definitely recommend this hotel, although it was a little out of the way for me.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Jennifer W
Reviewed 18 March 2012

I was totally disappointed with the staffs at the ressort by showing double standards to their guests especially if you are local (and i mean Malaysian). I have booked for 2 nights stay (9 - 11 February 2012) at the resort with my parents and I have never felt SO ANGRY AND 2ND CLASS in my own country. The behaviour of the staffs at the resort is totally UNACCEPATBLE and here are the reasons why;

1) Reception staffs are very rude (with a look that indicates "you don't belong here") when attending to me for check-in but all smiles when a foreign guest tries to check-in at the same time.

2) While checking-in, I have asked the reception staff to check if they have rooms with king sized bed. A female staff answered in a unacceptable manner without making any effort to do a quick check by saying "I am the person who arranged all the rooms allocation, and if I say No means No, you don't understand?". How rude can you get??

3) One of the two rooms that we have been allocated has a faulty air-condition. I have asked numerous time for assistance to rectify the problem, and after more than 30 minutes there is still no solution. I went to the reception to get a room change and again one of the staffs responded to me in an unacceptable manner by point his finger at my faces and said "Look, I am doing you a favour for changing the room. Now, you want or don't want?". Shocked by how rude I was treated and it made me blew my top. If I have not paid for 2 nights stay there and most of the hotels are full, I would have just packed and leave!

4) Breakfast at the all-day-dining is another classic. As my parents and I were approaching the area, we were ignored while a foreign couple were greeted by the staffs with all smiles and they were shown to a table.

5) At the omelette making station (I am not sure if that is correct), the cooker only attend to foreign guests for their requests. A local guests like myself, was made to wait behind 2 foreign guests who came over later and get their omellettes before me. I was really annoyed!

6) When I tell the resort staffs of my grievances, and I want to speak to their management their classic response is "GM has left for his home town in Seremban, you can go complain on our website". Simply classic!

I honestly don't know if any other local holiday makers have stayed at that resort but all I can say is that I WILL NOT GO BACK THERE. Why should I pay similar price as other guests and be treated 2nd Class??? And the worst thing is in my own country by Malaysian.

Please treat everyone with respect especially they are your resort / hotel guests. I am very disappointed when such discrimination and I hope the resort management will take note and improve their staffs behaviour.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family