“Still is my favourite place to stay in Johor Bahru”

Mutiara Johor Bahru Hotel
Ranked #11 of 109 Hotels in Johor Bahru
“Still is my favourite place to stay in Johor Bahru”
Reviewed 7 May 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for the Labour Day weekend and this is where we normally stay whenever we are in JB. What I like about this hotel is its spacious rooms. If you like Roast Duck and Chinese food, you should try the Meisan restaurant on the Mezzanine level. The coffee house on ground level also serves a wide variety of food. Oh, don't miss the breakfast here.

A minute-walk to the left from the main entrance is the Holiday Plaza where you can get things at cheap price. Of course, some of them may look like the real ones too! If you're the type who likes fast food, they have McDonald's and KFC here.

Parking can be a hassle as this is a favourite venue for weddings and parties so if you plan to drive out anywhere, come back before dinner time, or later at night. This hotel is also within a 10-minute drive to food places like Plaza Larkin, Tepian Tebrau and Stulang. Broadband is available and chargeable to your room at an affordable rate (cheaper than most other hotels of its category).

Stayed May 2012
1 Thank John S
HPKhoo, General Manager at Mutiara Johor Bahru Hotel, responded to this review, 10 May 2012
It was a pleasure to have you as a guest at Mutiara Johor Bahru. We appreciate your positive comments during your recent stay and we would be delighted to welcome you back soon!
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
ASEAN
Reviewed 2 May 2012

All hotels have problems, everyone makes mistakes. The best professionals acknowledge their problems and mistakes and fix them.

My check-in at the Mutiara JB would make anyone pick up their bags and look for a room at the new hotel across the street. My company had pre-paid my stay so I just followed the off-hand directions to the lift and mentally started drafting my report to the travel staff back home.

On my way I was cheerfully greeted by a suited gentleman with the front office manager's badge on his jacket. I took the opportunity to provide some on-the-spot customer feedback. He was clearly taken aback by what I told him and he personally led me to my room, apologising all the way.

He turned arund a bad situation and made it better. The rest of my stay was comfortable and pleasant. The hotel is an "aging" property, but it is aging gracefully and still offers all the key services and amenities of a business hotel.

With the exception of the check-in experience, I found the staff to be friendly, helpful and professional.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
HPKhoo, General Manager at Mutiara Johor Bahru Hotel, responded to this review, 4 May 2012
Thank you for your kind comments and it was a pleasure to have you as our guest. We appreciate that you have taken the effort to provide feedback and rest assured, we will not disappoint the next time you check-in to Mutiara Johor Bahru. We sincerely look forward to welcome you back soon.
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 27 April 2012

Firstly if you are staying in JB is must be because you have to, as its not a place you would chose to stay at for pleasure ! Got upgraded to an executive room, very spacious,comfy bed. Suprised there was no seperate shower, so its a stand in the shower and hold the hose affair !
Nice pool area, very welcoming on a hot afternoon, it was deserted, every time I used it. There is a train track directly behind the hotel so ask for a front room. TV - chronic ! Only one english channel repeating the same old stuff! I now know all about Kevlar and why aeroplane tyres dont burst on landing (in great detail!!!)
Breakfast buffet , good choice of food. I took my second cup of coffee up to my room after breakfast so I could drink whilst getting ready for work, when I went downstairs to leave I was accosted/treated like a criminal and told that I wasnt allowed to take a cup of coffee up to my room- what a load of rubbish that is ! Also this prides itself on being a business hotel so why the daily internet fee then - very outdated !! A few tips on JB. This was my first trip here single woman business traveller. Arrived at Larkin bus station, first time I havent felt safe in Malaysia, the taxi drivers surround you and tell you that all the other taxi drivers are robbers and liars and dont go with them ! Apparently ive learnt since there are lots of cab drivers from Larkin that drive passengers out of town , rob then dump them. The fare should be no more than 10-20 myr, Larkin to Mutiara, or from Senai airport 25/30myr. Holiday Plaza next to hotel, not great, Mc Donald and Kfc, lots of cheap shops , chemist and very expensive not so great fake handbags etc. Cant wait to get over the causeway to the safety of Singapore, cant believe the difference in the two places considering they are so close! On the whole JB is not a safe place so be aware of bag snatching and take your jewellery off in public. Wont be back !

Room Tip: Front rooms quieter due to train track at rear.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
HPKhoo, General Manager at Mutiara Johor Bahru Hotel, responded to this review, 30 April 2012
It was a pleasure to have you as a guest at Mutiara Johor Bahru. Your positive comments are appreciated. Meanwhile, we will continue to improve on our services to meet guest’s expectations and we sincerely look forward to welcome you back soon.
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 26 April 2012

after viewing the photos and found mushroom n cockroach.. we were all worries that we might face the same scene or maybe worst.
But we were relief to find the room quite clean but still dusty.. because my roommate was busy sneezing away once we step into the room.

Johor Bahru, Malaysia
Reviewed 25 April 2012

I have known this hotel since i was bachelor 18 yrs ago. It has remained the same extrenally though much refurbishment were done since for the rooms and lounges..Though I am staying in the JB town,off and on my family and I will just stay for one night for fun. We love the food spread of this hotel especially during Ramadan time..It is so good for JB standard so much so any function involving dinner ,many johorian will flock to attend it. The only problem is the limited parking spaces in the hotel especially during wedding seasons and weekends.
The room especially Tebrau room ...is really spacious and has all the necessary comfort and amenities.One of the thing i love was tap system which i photograph to compliment the management for making effort to ease one to decide the temperature of bath water..the rest has been commented especially location wise.
Enjoy your stay

Room Tip: The newer tebrau room is good..
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
HPKhoo, General Manager at Mutiara Johor Bahru Hotel, responded to this review, 26 April 2012
We are delighted that you have enjoyed your recent stay with us. We truly appreciate your positive comments and it is always a pleasure to serve loyal patrons such as yourself, to whom we owe the success of this establishment. We sincerely look forward to welcome you back soon!