AA Lodge Amboseli(Amboseli National Park)
US$ 168
  • Pool
Maasai Simba Camp(Amboseli National Park)
US$ 180
  • Breakfast included
Amboseli Serena Safari Lodge(Amboseli National Park)
US$ 392
Ol Tukai Lodge(Amboseli National Park)
US$ 450
US$ 395
Priceline
  • Pool
Kibo Safari Camp(Amboseli Eco-system)(Great Value!)
US$ 390
Tawi Lodge(Amboseli Eco-system)
  • Breakfast included
Amboseli Sopa Lodge(Amboseli Eco-system)
Agoda.com
  • Breakfast included
Kilima Safari Camp(Amboseli Eco-system)
  • Pool
Ambokili Lodge(Amboseli National Park)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsbush breakfastwatering holethe managersgame drivesfamily tentfirst stophill overlookingguide alexdik dikprivate housecomfortable accommodationsmount kilimanjarowater birdsamazing guideamboseli national parkwater holekenya and tanzania
Reviewed 21 April 2012

We had a 3 night stay at Tortilis and we can only recommend it to everyone considering it. The tents are lovely, the views are stunning, the staff is amazing, but most importantly the memories and experiences are unforgettable.

The person you spend the most time with during your stay (besides your partner) is your guide. We were very lucky to have Eric who was extremely knowledgable and a very considerate and kind person. Through his expertise, apart from the other wonderful animals, we also managed to see the rare sight of a Cheetah mom and her 3 cups. Eric always kept a fine balance of managing our unsatisfiable curiosity and not disturbing animals too much, giving the space and privacy they deserve. Eric is not only a senior Masaai warrior but an eco warrior as well. You learn about and appreciate the efforts being done by Tortilis and the various wildlife organizations so much more when you see their work first hand. Eric is such a fine, deep and likable person, we truly enjoyed every game drive.

On our first day we were greeted by an incredible "wall" of elephants which surely was a once in a lifetime experience for us. Next we spotted a few lions and countless other animals before even arriving at the camp. In general we saw plenty of animals, incredibly large herds of elephants, gnus and so on. It doesn't have the lushness of the Masaai Mara but Amboseli has a lot to offer at the right times of the year.

Tortilis and Amboseli are a truly magical place with the mighty Kilimanjaro providing a stunning backdrop.

Food:
You cannot talk about Tortilis and not talk about the food. They are proud to be listed by some as the "best lodge food" in Kenya. And we heartily second that after having having dined in a few other 5 star lodges in Kenya. Their own organic garden does grow some lovely salads and herbs that really made a difference.

The small surprises: you can have a private dinner under the stars, a bush breakfast (including a hilarious portable bush toilet...extremely handy though), sundowners on hill-tops and nature walks...

Everything worked like clockwork in the camp, staff were excellent as were the lovely Manuela and Andrea who manage the place.

We truly had such a special time in Tortilis and we will come back for sure!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ralf P
Reviewed 16 April 2012

Our 2nd trip to Amboselli but first stay at Tortilis. This is a very modern, luxury type tent camp. The lobby, bar & restaurant sit on a hill above the tents requiring a short walk up and down. The tent/lodging is high class with a nice sitting area outside with big cushions. We were lucky to have a small "dickdick" who hung around our tent the whole time we were there. The pool and massage area was just a short walk from our tent. Since we were on an extended trip thru Kenya and Tanzania I need WiFi upon arrival but unfortunately it wasn't working properly so never could use it. Not sure what the problem was. We were lucky to see Kilimanjaro most of the time. The bar is big and drinks are priced right. The restaurant is beautiful and the food is very good. We made a mistake on 2nd night by not taking an umbrella up to dinner and we ate dinner watching a lighting storm roll in, which was fun. The staff was great about getting an umbrella and walking us back down the hill after dinner. We still got soaked but loved every minute of it. They have a lovely little boma sitting area about half way down the hill with a great fire at night and it is lovely having a drink there if the weather is nice. The woman who runs this camp does an outstanding job and was very accomodating. We prefer our camps to be a little more "rustic" but luxury isn't bad some of the time.

Room Tip: You better be in good shape to walk up and down the hill to dinner and the bar everyday. Not a hard climb but lots of steps.
1  Thank garycw
Reviewed 25 March 2012

I spent two wonderful days at Tortillis in early March. I was met at the Amboseli airstrip by Alex who would be my guide for the next two days. Alex was great and took great care of me during the game drives. I immediately set off on a game drive before going to the camp with two other guests who had been on the same plane from Nairobi.

We were met on arrival at the camp by the managers Andrea and Manuela who took incredible care of us during our stay. Tortillis is beautiful with a number of tents around the property. My tent, #1 was down the hill from the public areas and had a view of Kilimanjaro. Kilimanjaro is not always visible due to haze and cloud but I was fortunate for the two days I was there and she was showing off her snow capped peaks which became more visible as the haze lifted during the day. My tent was very comfortable and I was able to charge my batteries for my camera equipment. There is wifi in the bar area if needed. I was trying to keep up a travel blog so I found it very useful. The walk from my tent to the main lodge up the hill in the hot mid afternoon sun was not fun, but I needed the exercise! The swimming pool is very refreshing and you can have enjoy a drink while you are there.

My morning started off with coffee and biscuits being delivered to my tent and shortly after that we were heading out for our morning game drive. Our guide Alex was very knowledgable and made the game drive very informative. Amboseli is known for elephants and I was not disappointed. The elephants are very tolerant of the jeeps and we got very close. It was wonderful to see the moms with their babies.

Later in the morning we were treated to an amazing bush breakfast. It was quite an experience to be served amazing fruit, omelettes, bacon and sausage, miles from the camp in the middle of Amboseli.

That afternoon we elected for a walking safari in the care of our guide Alex and Jack (Jumping Jack), a Maasai warrior. It was a lovely ninety minute walk with Jack and Alex pointing out various animal hoof prints and droppings along with various shrubs used for medicinal purposes. Only the last ten minutes of the walk was a mild challenge, having to walk up an incline to the top of the mountain. We were rewarded for our efforts as we were met by camp jeeps to provide sundowners and snacks while we watched the sunset. Luckily, we did not have to walk back to camp!

The food and service at Tortillis was great. As the managers are Italian, we were treated to some amazing pastas. Tortillis has its own one acre vegetable garden from which they produce amazing salads.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank lwdem
Reviewed 14 March 2012

My husband and I were fortunate enough to spend 41 days in Africa. We did safaris at Sabi Sands in South Africa, the Serengeti, the Selous, and Ngorongoro Crater in Tanzania, and Amboseli and the Mara in Kenya. Tanzania was our least favorite place...but that is a whole other story. This is our story of Tortilis and so I will stick with it. Tortilis Camp, in particular, and Amboseli and Kenya, in general, were our favorites! At Tortilis, we loved the setting. (We woke up to Mt. Kilimanjaro every morning.) We loved the food and we have spent a month in Italy. We loved our bed and our tent (#1). We loved the service. We loved our massages. Most of all, we loved our guide (Alex was THE BEST!). We loved the ellies. And we loved our safaris...so what's left? Nothing!!!

Tortilis was the place to go. We had a private dinner next to the firepit one evening because this was my husband's birthday trip. It was so romantic! The firepit was about 1/2 way up the hill between the tents and the restaurant. We had a breakfast in the bush (with white linen) and sundowners on a hill!!!

It sounds like we are people who just love everything...but not so. When we got to the Serengeti, we hated the place we stayed at...so much so we left 2 nights early. When we left Tortilis, our hearts ached as we knew we would miss it.

Alex was our best guide in Africa so when you go, I would strongly recommend you ask for him. He was both a great guide and a gentleman...just a fine human being. We felt very lucky to have spent time with him.

Sue was the temporary manager and she was great but I can't pass judgment on the regular managers since we did not meet them. I will say we were so impressed we want to go back to Kenya and do about 12 days of safaris at a few of the Cheli & Peacock safari camps. If the rest are llike Tortilis, it will be heaven!

Thanks to everyone for making our time there so special!

Room Tip: We had tent #1 and it was great! Very private and fantastic views of Killy.
1  Thank moabhiker
Reviewed 12 March 2012

My husband and I were in Africa for 4 weeks traveling across 6 countries, and out of the many hotels we stayed at, we love Tortilis Camp most.

On clear days, you can have an unobstructed view of the Kilimanjaro from the restaurant and bar area, which are perfect places to relax. The camp also has its own water hole outside the property, and we saw giraffes, zebras and antelopes coming by regularly. Viewing these animals was a delightful entertainment during our dinners.

The food at the camp was amazing and creative. They used their home-grown vegetables which were fresh and lovely. The home-made banana split and ice cream were just superb. They also checked our dietary requirements at the time of check in, and cooked special meals for me given my dietary preference.

The property is also kept amazingly clean despite the frequent dust storm in Amboseli. At most other places we expected to have insects within our tents/lodges, we were in National Parks afterall. However, at Tortilis we barely encountered any insects in our tent.

The service was also excellent. As far as I am aware the camp employs Masaai villagers to be its staff, and we were well looked after by them. They were all very courteous and at night, they would escort us back into our tent.

Lastly, the camp uses organic shampoo, conditioner and bath gel, and it was a real treat after our hair and bodies endured many days of standard hotel shampoo/conditioner or in some cases, no conditioner at all.