“Expats Beware - Biggest Rip Off in Almaty”
Review of Shvabskiy Domik - CLOSED

Shvabskiy Domik
Cuisines: German
Reviewed 18 February 2015

By far the worst service I have experienced in Almaty. After 4 attempts at ordering something and them being "out", I finally settled on the pork leg (ham hock). What was served was a lovely looking plate of 100% pork fat. Yes, a pork leg is supposed to have a layer of fat, but there also should be a generous amount of meat as well. I told my server that I refused to pay for that dish and would like something else....the server's boss refused. She said that's how the dish is supposed to be prepared....."Almaty Style" to quote her exactly. I told her that it was obvious they were out of this dish as well, and she served me their waste expecting me to fall for it. I also said that if this dish was indeed supposed to be 100% fat, the server should have had the knowledge to explain this before hand. After not even offering a discount, I just paid the tab and walked out with my date, not wanting to cause a scene. The server hung her head in shame, as she knew I had been ripped off, but could not say anything for fear of reprocussions from her boss. I will never give this place not one more tenge, nor will I ever step foot in again. If I could give the server's boss negative stars, I certainly would.

Reviewed 3 February 2015

Very beautiful interior in German style. Waiters dressed in national German costumes. We ordered beef steak with pepper and were fully satisfied. Nice.

Reviewed 17 January 2015 via mobile

To discover this place, you have to enter deep inside the restaurant, they have 6 halls. Two smoking halls at the entrance, followed by Tea room, Bar and Hunter hall, and Pharmacy. Great design with common Loft style, lots of treasures to discover. Food is great and beer is fresh and cold. Kids enjoyed sweets and teas. Service is good, fast and friendly. Two course meal and pint of beer cost $40 per person.

Reviewed 11 January 2015

A visit to this place was initiated by friends, as the place does not show on restaurant lists online. However, it offers great food in richly diverse compositions.Here was a surprisingly rich selection of Swabian meals. Meat baskets and pasta dominate, but their artistic and tasteful mixes and presentation was very pleasing. Meals are especially designed to cater for a wide variety of tastes.
Richly designed and decorated interior gives this restaurant a warm feeling, which is complemented by the friendliness and cheer of the staff, who, donneed in German doerndles greet you cheerfully and ensure comfort and coziness.
It is indeed a place to visit for that unique Southern German taste.

Reviewed 26 November 2014

This is ostensibly an Austrian restaurant. It's very strange; it has all the serving staff wearing 'authentic' austrian clothes, so it was quite weird to see Kazak people wearing leiderhosen, etc. I had a sausage and potatoes and cabbage. It was nothing special, though the (non-alcoholic) cucumber and rosemary lemonade was quite nice, and not too expensive.