See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 28 November 2016

I stayed here when I was on a group tour with G Adventures, so I do not really know how much this hotel cost if you book it as independent travelers.

I think G Adventures chose this place maybe mainly for its central and very convenient location and its very old-world, Soviet style ambience.

I think this hotel may be among the best in Central Asia back in the old Soviet era. You can see its grandeur from its outside facade. However, the rooms have not been upgraded much and now, in 2016, feel very worn. The air condition is noisy. Actually, my roommate coughed all night long due to that the old air-con makes the air too dry for him. Our room is facing the main street. Due to the glass windows is thin, we could hear the passing traffic well into the night.

The breakfast is actually abundant with various types of Western and Russian dishes. Though the food is mediocre, you would never go hungry with all those choices.

I think the best thing about this hotel is its location. It is just across the street from the main central park (Park Named After Panfilov’s 28 Guardsmen). It is always great for an early morning or late afternoon stroll. It is also not far from Almaty's Green Market and the pedestrian shopping mall.

There is a (slightly) unpleasant incident. I arrived early in the morning by an overnight flight. The front desk staff just checked me in. Later that day, I was informed that I needed to pay extra for my "early check-in." They should have informed me that there is an "extra" charge right when I did my early check-in and let me know how much I needed to pay. This does show that the staff still need more training.

Overall, if you love the "Old Soviet" atmosphere (including the indifferent service), this can be a good place for you. Its central location does help to get good access to many Almaty's major sights.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled with friends
1  Thank Saricie_Q
Reviewed 9 November 2016

While the building is pure Russian, the hotel is comfortable, convenient and ideally located to get about the city very easily. Being opposite the park meant green leafy outlook towards the mountains from the front rooms. Back not so pleasant. Rooms are spacious, even if air conditioning quite noisy. Ours even had a balcony. The Central Market was 'just around the corner' and the Orthodox Cathedral in the park opposite. Plenty of buses to get about the city or taxis if going further afield.

Room Tip: Higher floor would be preferable to minimise road noise if windows open.
  • Stayed: September 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 October 2016

This is an older hotel in a great location across from the Orthodox Cathedral and close to the Green Market. It has easy access to the Metro, and good eating locations are quite close. Rooms are older, but comfortable. Lots of hot water, but a little low on the soap. The dining room is designed as a yurt, and the breakfast is a variety of hot and cold dishes and cereals, etc. If you are a Holiday Inn / Intercontinental person this won't be for you, but if you want a more authentic local stay this is an excellent choice.

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 September 2016

This hotel rated 4 star is a throwback to old days. The rooms are small and overloaded with old fashioned heavy furniture making access to beds and luggage a nightmare. TV and aircon ancient . Staff at reception pleasant but with limited English.

However the beds are clean and comfortable and towels of good quality, and breakfast is adaquate.

We had dinner on one night and the worst meal we experienced since we arrived in Central Asia.

Room Tip: Avoid unless you are really stuck for somewhere to stay
  • Stayed: September 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 July 2016

Probably a grand hotel in it's day, but showing it's age now. Nevertheless, the hotel is in a great location, is well priced and the room was comfortable. The staff was great. I had no problems and would happily stay there again. There was no work desk in the room, so a bit inconvenient for computer usage.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled solo