All reviewssoviet experiencecentral marketlots of hot waterzenkov cathedralshort staydomes
Reviewed 23 October 2016

This is an older hotel in a great location across from the Orthodox Cathedral and close to the Green Market. It has easy access to the Metro, and good eating locations are quite close. Rooms are older, but comfortable. Lots of hot water, but a little low on the soap. The dining room is designed as a yurt, and the breakfast is a variety of hot and cold dishes and cereals, etc. If you are a Holiday Inn / Intercontinental person this won't be for you, but if you want a more authentic local stay this is an excellent choice.

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 September 2016

This hotel rated 4 star is a throwback to old days. The rooms are small and overloaded with old fashioned heavy furniture making access to beds and luggage a nightmare. TV and aircon ancient . Staff at reception pleasant but with limited English.

However the beds are clean and comfortable and towels of good quality, and breakfast is adaquate.

We had dinner on one night and the worst meal we experienced since we arrived in Central Asia.

Room Tip: Avoid unless you are really stuck for somewhere to stay
  • Stayed: September 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 July 2016

Probably a grand hotel in it's day, but showing it's age now. Nevertheless, the hotel is in a great location, is well priced and the room was comfortable. The staff was great. I had no problems and would happily stay there again. There was no work desk in the room, so a bit inconvenient for computer usage.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 June 2016 via mobile

Large, gloomy hotel from the socialist era. Rooms very small with dark wood and red carpet. Old TV set, empty fridge, no bottled water, old and noisy aircon. Very small bathroom, small bathtub with hand shower, all bare and simple. Small wardrobe with 1 (one) hanger...
Large dining room for breakfast and dinner. Mediocre buffet at most. Small bar which was closed one night for unknown reasons.
Inexperienced staff, spoke only broken English. Bell boys played with their cell phones instead of taking care of customers.
Wi-fi, however, worked well.
This hotel cannot be recommended.

Stayed: June 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 June 2016

Very centrally located with lots attractions nearby. The rooms are a bit dated but very clean.

Check-in desk staff are very helpful. We arrived late at night and had a late-leaving flight the next day. They were able to give us a reasonable price for extending our stay beyond the normal checkout time. We were happy to be able to pay for late check-out.

Dark Hallways to save money -- a bit creepy bates-motel feeling.
Upon going up to the room, the hallway was very dark with no light and we had to fit the old school key in the lock without light.

Late Dinner -- not possible in the hotel.
We left the hotel and went around the block, for a late dinner as the hotel restaurant was closed and there was no room service.

No Free Bottled Water --
After coming home at 10pm from dinner, I noticed there was no bottled water in the room and I didn't want to drink tap. So I asked the woman who I thought was the floor's attendant for water and she couldn't help. I then went down to the front desk where they were happy to sell me two bottles for 200KZT. I paid at the front desk, and 10 minutes later a different floor attendant brought the water. Not a problem, but it would be nice for the rooms to come with a minimum amount of complementary drinking water. Or upon late check-in tell the customers that there is not water in the room and offer them an opportunity to buy it then.

Breakfast - Good for normal diets, problematic for Celiacs if you have to compete or are late.

The next day at breakfast, we arrived late but still within the stated serving time. We had a full 30 minutes until the buffet closed. As a celiac there isn't much I can eat -- eggs, yogurt, the occasional breakfast meat -- but was happy to see a few options. But as I approached the buffet, the hotel's staff cut in line and took almost all the hard boiled eggs. Don't get me wrong, I think it is good for a hotel not to throw out food and feed their staff, but usually they wait until the hotel guests have eaten!!!! Or at least restock the item before the close of the buffet. In fairness she couldn't have known of my limited options and there was a cornucopia of bread on the next table, but I found it quite off putting!

My companion found plenty to eat - lots of pastries, porridge, blini, bread products etc.

All and all, I would stay there again as the price is right, can't beat the location, and the staff are mostly friendly, but this isn't a 5 star place.

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple