Open today: 10:00 AM - 6:00 PM

Reviewed 1 September 2017
Reflectorgo
London
Disappointing

I was interested in the building but found it underwhelming. For a start, I can't really fathom... read more

Reviewed 21 April 2017
birdcagewalking
Melbourne

All reviews architect picasso collection stairs exhibits park
Reviewed 1 September 2017

It is worth travelling just to see the building, which is by the fascinating architect Tadeo Ando. Despite its unpromising site he has created an amazing cafe/shop area with a mirror pool which seems to lead to the park opposite, even though it is actually quite a way away. The main staircase is also a work of art in itself. There is quite a bit of work by the artist Tsuguharu Foujita, who travelled from Japan to Paris and hung out with the likes of Picasso. His work was interesting and I was glad to have made his acquaintance but the best piece of his art for me was a huge mural depicting Akita through the seasons which he painted very quickly. It is fascinating to examine closely as it shows the main festivals and the way that people in this place lived not so very long ago. There was also a most interesting exhibition on Shinichi Saito's many pictures of the three blind musicians legend. Unfortunately you're not allowed to take photos inside the galleries so I only have one which I took before I realised this was the case. .

Reviewed 21 April 2017

I was interested in the building but found it underwhelming.

For a start, I can't really fathom the location of the entrance - just doesn't make sense from a user perspective or even architecturally.
You are then confronted by the stairs as you enter. But I didn't want to walk up the stairs and the lift hidden away on the left was pointed out to me by the attendant selling tickets to the collection.
I understand the intent of the architect - to encourage people to experience the space walking up and the lift was a concession for those in need.
I found all those photos showing the cafe/ park / water setting misleading too. The moat and the park is across the road and no where near the cafe. In fact the building sits on a plaza.
The circulation within the art gallery does not flow easily. This disjunction makes a disappointing experience.
Limited exhibits and nothing captured my attention.

Reviewed 16 February 2017

Of the exhibits, the 20-metre long mural was an eye opener. I must have come at the wrong time because the rest of the exhibits were rather forgettable. The beautifully designed building interior made up for the exhibits though.

Reviewed 14 November 2016 via mobile

We called into the Museum on our way back from the park and managed to coincide our arrival with a large school group of excited young school children!
Staff were apologetic about the noise but who could be annoyed with their happy and enthusiastic response to the outing.
We retired to the Museum cafe, which has a sensational water feature stretching away from the windows. In fact the architecture,including a fabulous floating concrete staircase rising from street level up to the main gallery is a visual delight.
The exhibition is limited but worth a visit!

Reviewed 19 October 2016

The museum is very interesting architecturaly, there is a fantastic terrace pool, worth seeing in its own right. The major piece of work is huge and visually stunning. Well worth visiting.