See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 6 March 2018

My friend and I stayed in the special guestroom (Mixed-style Japanese-Western Room) on the top floor, where there is a massage chair and a riding machine. We could choose to sleep on beds or Japanese tatami.

For dinner, we went to the restaurant and enjoyed the 10 dishes' meal every evening.

We reserved a 45 minutes' private bath paid course(hot spring).

During our Shikoku trip, we loved the time staying in Dogo Prince Hotel. The hotel lounge near the Dogo Onsen Station is also excellent. For customers, they can use the lounge where you can take a cake, snack and drinks to relax yourselves and continue your journey.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 February 2017

This was the second time to visit Dogo Onsen and we decided to stay in the Dogo Prince Hotel. A complimentary shuttle service to downtown gave us a hassle free experience. We booked a Japanese cypress private hot spring in the hotel and it was exceptional. Spacious and partially outdoor. We tried the public one on the next day and it comfortably enchanting us too. The dining experience in the hotel was an additional accent too in such Japanese hotel. We had beautiful local cuisine. Highly recommendable accommodation in Dogo.

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 October 2016

- Large traditional Japanese room , with a great view.
- Dinner was absolutely delicious.
- Onsen
- Shuttle bus service with downtown was efficient
everything contributed to a very pleasant stay in this pretty city which has a lot to offer

Room Tip: Request a non smoking room
  • Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 May 2016

This is a hotel that has confronted me with several incongruent experiences.

1. Smoking. It is allowed throughout. There are NO non-smoking rooms. Our room absolutely reeked of cigarette smoke - the worst I've ever experienced. The front desk told us there were no non-smoking rooms, but some one was immediately dispatched to do a "special clean." He arrived with a machine, and emerged 20 minutes later. Some kind of ghost buster or trapped and trained kaiju I assume. The room smelt better after that, however my pillow was like sleeping in an ashtray. I slept badly. The next day was better as I left the window open and put the pillows in the sun. Really. I had to leave the pillows in the sun to get rid of the smell. We were also on the floor above what looked like the admin section. The open door revealed a mess of epic dysfunction, mess decades in the making. The gang of people at work there smoked inside the 2nd floor stairway lobby, by the lift! It totally flowed up all the other floors. Putting personal habits above the comfort of guests is unethical, unhygienic, lazy, and un-Japanese! Very poor management.
2. The baths, swapped regularly between male and female, are brilliant! Really worth a visit. Both sides have a variety of outdoor baths that are well maintained, clean, hot, and wonderful. Excellent! (My photos are of one side only...the other side is equally impressive)
3. It's a 15 minute walk or so into town, but there's an endless shuttle bus to go there in a loop from early afternoon to late evening. At other times, you can call them and you'll be collected from a convenient "suite" on the street by the station. They'll even give you the phone number in a little envelope with a 10-yen coin to facilitate the phone call. very thoughtful.
So...
Looking around, I can see that the clientele is largely older Japanese people - typically over 60. So I assume this hotel is largely meant for them and so my issue with the smoking is probably irrelevant. The breakfast was also an older affair, but the selection was pretty good (all Japanese) and again, we were the youngest in attendance by about 30 years.
My overall impression is of a great property leaning on it's name (The Prince chain) and being run down by poor management, who I would venture are probably quite old and stoically male in all their perceptions of the world. There are lots of staff, all of whom I suspect would have some great ideas in improving the experience of being in this hotel to make it great again.

Room Tip: A high room, with windows that open WIDE
  • Stayed: May 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 April 2016

The hotel facility is almost perfect! especially , the hot spring bath is wonderful. you don't have to go out for that. The dinner was so delicious. the staff picks up at Dogo onsen station . you can leave your suitcase near the station, too! the service is so perfect.
ホテルの施設は完璧です。 温泉もホテル内で堪能できます。わざわざ温泉に行かなくてもよいです。 夕食も食べきれないぐらいの量です。 道後温泉駅まで送迎あります。駅の近くで専用ラウンジで荷物も預かってくれるので帰りにも観光に行けます。

• Stayed: May 2015, travelled as a couple