“Great exploration”
Review of Tomogashima Island

Tomogashima Island
Reviewed 29 May 2015

Take the ferry from Kada (the ferry located near the bridge) and enjoy the trip to the island. Most of the information on the island is in Japanese, but the island is easy to explore. You'll find old military buildings that are abandoned now, it can make for a really mystic experience... you have to come to this island if you like to do some Urban Exploration. There were not to many people on the island on our trip so at times you can be alone in the old buildings and if you are lucky you'll see some shugendo monks climbing the rockface on a remote part of the island.

4  Thank Wim H

Reviewed 27 March 2015

We woke up very early and caught the 7am train towards Kada station. Then we had to nearly run to get to the ferry, which is not at all easy to find without a bit of directions from locals and a good map. Then when we finally arrived, there was a sign that said it was too windy so there would be no boats that day. There were about 10 other disappointed people there as well... It was a beautiful sunny day otherwise, but we definitely wasted it coming all the way out here for nothing. Since the island seems to be pretty popular, they should do a better job of getting people there, and also a better way to communicate when the ferry will not be running.

5  Thank JVerse
Reviewed 25 January 2015

BEWARE! There is ONLY ONE ferry that leaves from Kada station to Tomogashima and that's at 10:30am on Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays only. The ferry returns to Kada station at 3:30pm. I found this out the hard way, as I arrived at Kada station at 10:50 only to learn the last ferry for the day (let alone week!) had just left. I was devastated because I had a planned a whole trip to Kansai just to see it. So I missed seeing the island, however I was very surprised with the kindness and level of service from the Kada station master and the little makeshift "tourist information" umbrella nearby. When he saw how disappointed he was he found a bunch of brouchures about local attractions then approached me with the leaflets. He said in Japanese "You wanted to see the ruins at Tomogashima, right? There is a place nearby, it is not Tomogashima, but it has ruins. Here is a picture, see? They look the same! Please go there, you will enjoy". I brushed away my tears and he walked me down a hill to the bus stop nearby and explained very carefully what bus to catch to get to the ruined houses. When I was waiting he even returned with a hand full of coins to refund my return train ticket. So I went to this place, it was in a national park nearby and there were several small houses that were abandoned. The ruins probably aren't as cool as those on Tomogashima but they still looked pretty and there were many hiking trails in the area. There was also a huge hotel in the park that had onsens, restaurants etc. Despite the mix-up with ferry times I ended up having a great day thanks to the staff at the Kada station who made a huge effort to ensure I had fun in their town. Thank you!

16  Thank Jenn G
Reviewed 17 November 2014

This place used to be a fortressa stronghold. it takes around 20 minutes from Kada port by a small ship. (9pm, 10pm, 1am, 3am, 4am from Kada port, return tickets : 2,000 yen). Tomogashima 's port is placed middle of island. If you walk round the island, it takes 4~5 hours. if you don't have any time, I recommend you to go east side way. Third remains of a gun buttery is good place to walk around. I entered like a tunnel, down stairs and walked lots of total darkness place. It's so scary but It's so exciting!!
Unfortunately I saw a lot of rubbish. So I evaluated just 4 points.

5  Thank 菜穂 柴
Reviewed 21 May 2014

We just saw the island because the ferry service is not available on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Take that into account if you want to go.

2  Thank svarnyp